Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arnold Taylor, Salvidor Sanchez, James Schuler and Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If not mentioned, i think you can add Young Stribling to the list.

Harry Greb died of surgical complications stemming from injuries directly resulting from a car accident. Going by memory, he had bones that needed repair to help his respiration. Greb had a few car accidents for his time. So no, he didn't die from the accident, but the injuries from the accident would later require surgery which resulted in his death.

As side notes, James Schuler the guy who died in an accident, he was scheduled to fly with the US Olympic team that crashed in route to Poland, but canceled due to an injury. Bobby Czyz was also sparred his life by having an auto accident one week before his flight. Czyz would cancel the tragic flight, while he recovered, as some of his teammates would continue with the crash flight.
    Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
      If not mentioned, i think you can add Young Stribling to the list.

Harry Greb died of surgical complications stemming from injuries directly resulting from a car accident. Going by memory, he had bones that needed repair to help his respiration. Greb had a few car accidents for his time. So no, he didn't die from the accident, but the injuries from the accident would later require surgery which resulted in his death.

As side notes, James Schuler the guy who died in an accident, he was scheduled to fly with the US Olympic team that crashed in route to Poland, but canceled due to an injury. Bobby Czyz was also sparred his life by having an auto accident one week before his flight. Czyz would cancel the tragic flight, while he recovered, as some of his teammates would continue with the crash flight.
      I read Greb had surgery because of scar tissue (from his fights).
      Didn't hear about a car accident being involved.

Comment

Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
        I read Greb had surgery because of scar tissue (from his fights).
        Didn't hear about a car accident being involved.
        Where did you read that? Greb was involved in several accidents and had more than one surgical procedure done in his life. His last procedure was due to an auto accident.

In October 1926 he was involved in a car accident in which he went over an embankment. Accounts were that he tried to avoid two wagons operated by farmers.
        He would have multiple bones fractured around the nose. This gave him difficulty breathing. On October 21 he was going to the doctor to have eye treatment, but the doctor realized the extent of injuries caused by the accident to the nasal passages. The procedure would actually cause a hemorrhage as there was blood rushing to the brain as the auto accident caused an unknown blood clot. Greb survived surgery, but died the day after due to the hemorrohage complications.

Here is an exact quote from P.212 The Fearless Harry Greb:

Dr Weinberg one of the attending physicians:

"The death was due to a blood clot on the brain related to Greb's auto accident. Evidently a piece of bone extending from the bridge of the nose to the floor of the skull had been fractures in such a manner that a blood clot was formed in the brain. The fracture formed an obstruction in the nasal passages. During the course of the operation, when the bone was removed, it permitted the blood to rush into the brain, thus bringing about the hemorrhage which resulted in his death."

Some other sources:

"Bone Broken in Nose in Auto Crash Here is Primary Cause of Death", Pittsburgh Post, October 23, 1926, P.1

"Brain Clot was Fatal to Greb", Washington Post, October 24, 1926 P.M24

"Harry Greb dies after Operation", New York Times, October 23, 1926, P.21

Comment

Why would they remove the bone fragment if it would cause a hemorrhage? Was there no safe way at the time to treat such an injury?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Why would they remove the bone fragment if it would cause a hemorrhage? Was there no safe way at the time to treat such an injury?
            I don't think they knew he had a blood clot until after the removal. Unfortunately, this is before things as cat scan, MRT etc. However, i am sure there were still some blood thinning medicines that could help minimize hemorrhage from blood clots. Even recently, we saw how doctors found out about Secretary Clinton having a clot and taking care of it without surgery.

I think the doctors were concerned in immediately helping his breathing and didn't fight out after the surgery about the blood clot. However, i don't know if doctors in that era gave precautionary medicine if they suspected a possible blood clot in the brain?

Greb's wife died of TB, something that is cured today. Obviously, if they lived today they likely would have survived their illness.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
              Where did you read that? Greb was involved in several accidents and had more than one surgical procedure done in his life. His last procedure was due to an auto accident.
              I read that pretty much everywhere. I read quite some boxing books, one of them was a Gene Tunney bio and there was stuff about Greb also.
              I cannot say 100 % but I don't remember ever reading about a car accident being the reason for this surgery. But if you got those sources, you gotta be right I guess.
              What I remember is he did the surgery to remove scar tissue which he had from his boxing career.

Comment

Working...
              X