Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History of the Heavyweights part 7 (Jess Willard )

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dempsey 1919 View Post
    yeah, but that's about all he had, cause he had no skill.
    Willard did have a good jab, Dempsey was simply a far better fighter and losing to Dempsey, no disgrace......... Big Jess had enough skill, toughness and power to beat up Jack Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      Willard did have a good jab, Dempsey was simply a far better fighter and losing to Dempsey, no disgrace......... Big Jess had enough skill, toughness and power to beat up Jack Johnson.

Gotta disagree with that my friend. Willard had enough stamina to outlast Johnson. Johnson dominated for most of the fight until he tired. Had that been a 12, 15 or even 20 round fight Johnson would have won going away and Willard's name would be a mere footnote in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Gotta disagree with that my friend. Willard had enough stamina to outlast Johnson. Johnson dominated for most of the fight until he tired. Had that been a 12, 15 or even 20 round fight Johnson would have won going away and Willard's name would be a mere footnote in boxing history.
        I was referring to the latter rounds where Jess took control in those last ones I have on film, I defer to the reports of the majority of the fight that say Johnson was dominating,.--- ---- and why would he not ??? I know for a fact that Jack was many times better Pound 4 Pound than Jess, but the fight was scheduled to be a marathon,.......I just wanted to give Willard his due,....... I declare that a younger Prime Johnson would have destroyed Willard,.... AND KNOCK Him OUT COLD before the 15th,,,,,,,,,, ""Fingers McGoorty""

Comment

Working...
        X