Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Does Mike Tyson Rank As An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why I comment with a "fanatic" on the line but what the hell I have a few minutes to waste!

Joe Louis other than a very slick and savy Max (in their first bout) and a very old Joe in with Rocky ALWAYS got UP! He had NO Quit in HIM! He fought all comers and the bum of the month club was after he cleaned house in the top twenty!
    Max trained in Jersey and NY gyms and was a very smart fighter who had solid skills and was game.
    Rocky was one of the best punchers ever and probably a top ten "finisher" in any division!

No one I know and respect has Tyson rated ahead of Joe Louis, No One!!
    Theres nothing wrong with being a "true fan" of your favorite fighter but knowledge as to talent, methods & techniques is important for discussions. Not excusses and would a could a should a BS!!!

How old are you?? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
      ^ 2000 Tyson before the fought Nielson was still in shape. He looked decent in his England tour and would've KOed Wlad within 2 rounds.

But back to the subject ...

Joe Louis was knocked down 10 times in his career and he's got a great chin??

He was never considered fast ... on his feet or with his hands and suddenly he is?? Stalking Joe Louis looked like he fought in slow motion. I don't see any special speed from him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DteKctJFIVE

Schemling had faster hands.

Great champion and better career than Mike Tyson but he was never considered durable or fast.
      Louis won 25 consecutive title fights and he wasn't durable? Pointing out everyday that Tyson was durable isn't going to convince anyone. Unless you consider taking a sustained beating durability.

Comment

^ 2000 Tyson before the fought Nielson was still in shape. He looked decent in his England tour and would've KOed Wlad within 2 rounds.

But back to the subject ...

Joe Louis was knocked down 10 times in his career and he's got a great chin??

He was never considered fast ... on his feet or with his hands and suddenly he is?? Stalking Joe Louis looked like he fought in slow motion. I don't see any special speed from him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DteKctJFIVE

Schemling had faster hands.

Great champion and better career than Mike Tyson but he was never considered durable or fast.
        he was fast in the sence of countering and combinations

Comment

Anyone who goes down TEN TIMES in a career does not have a very good chin and is not very durable.

Only the glass himself, Wladimir Klitschko, has hit the canvas as much as Louis.

Louis was KTFO through the ropes in his last bout and was KOed by an old Max Max Schmeling

Tyson would waste Louis within 4 rounds and give him a lesson in combination punching

Comment

Yeah, but who has more knockout losses? Oh right, that would be Tyson. Louis has a KO and TKO loss, Tyson has 3 KO and 2 TKO losses. Not staying down for the count is what makes someone durable as well. So yeah, Tyson would come on strong early and Louis might even take some hard shots, but he could also recover, get up and keep fighting. Louis has a lot of early knockouts on his record too, just like Tyson and even a few in the later rounds, so Louis could get past those first few rounds and then come on later and get the stoppage or decision.

And yeah, Louis was knocked through the ropes, in his last fight, when he was shot, done, way past prime. At least he didn't quit on his stool in his last fight like your hero. Not saying I don't like Tyson because I do, but that doesn't mean he'd beat everybody from every era. You're blinded by your fandom.
            Last edited by Anthony342; 01-15-2013, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              As for Duran he was a terrfic fighter at LIGHTWEIGHT, sorry Duran fans after that it was Money Duran!
              I was with you until you said this.

A fighter that is only terrific at lightweight goes to beat one of the best welterweights in history and he's not terrific at that weight as well?

Roberto Duran shouldn't even be discussed next to Tyson.

Comment

Anyone who goes down TEN TIMES in a career does not have a very good chin and is not very durable.

Only the glass himself, Wladimir Klitschko, has hit the canvas as much as Louis.

Louis was KTFO through the ropes in his last bout and was KOed by an old Max Max Schmeling

Tyson would waste Louis within 4 rounds and give him a lesson in combination punching
                lmfao......

Oh btw.. Wladimir went down 13 TIMES.. So he is actually worst than Louis in terms of hitting canvas.

How do you see a Louis vs Wladimir fight going? lmfao

Comment

Here is something for you people to think about.

Tony Tucker was 34-0 at the time Tyson beat him.

Tucker than went on to BECOME 48-1 at the time Lewis beat him.

Tony Tucker fought a Pre Prime but still Elite Lewis AND a Prime Tyson and lasted 24 rounds.

He is a better win than ANYTHING ON Klitschkos resume.

Wladimir's best win was Chris Byrd.

Chris Byrd vs Tony Tucker.. I favor Tucker 65-35

Comment

Berbick
                    Ruddock
                    Bruno
                    Tucker
                    Spinks
                    Old Holmes

h2h

vs

Byrd
                    Sultan
                    Ruslan
                    Eddie Chambers
                    Tony Thompson
                    David Haye

Can we honestly say Wlad's opponents will win more against Tyson's opponents?

The best version of Bruno would probably knock Haye out.

Comment

So the consensus on this forum is that Joe Louis had an iron chin despite being floored 10 times in his career ... I'm sure that was the general consensus of observers and fans when he was fighting as well

The only time there would ever be a consensus like that is when he's compared to Tyson ... whom this forum loves to hate and discredit ... but its sacrilegious and profane to say that since Louis went down 10 times in his career and was even dropped in his prime years he isn't as durable as Mike Tyson who could take massive amounts of punishment.

So am I wrong to say that Wladimir Klitschko also has an iron chin, despite being down 13 times in his career?

Louis was a great champion who was dominant and held defended the heavyweight crown more often than anyone else ... but he is not durable nor does he have a good chin. He has good recuperation skills but he didn't have a strong chin.

Nor was he that fast, especially on his feet ... which is why when Patterson and Ali rose to prominence no one had ever seen speed like that. He was never the combination of speed, skill, power, and durability that Mike Tyson was ... he fulfills 3 out of 4 of these attributes at best.

Comment

Working...
                      X