Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't boxing on major networks anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would have a lot to do with advertising space too. There's only the between rounds to show ads and people Wanna see that. Similar to soccer it's just not a sport that fits well into commercial tv, as there aren't enough natural breaks, you cant miss any of it and it can be over in 15 seconds.

A network doesnt want to pay big $ for a show that can be over in a few minutes and therefore loses a bunch of ad revenue.

Comment

I agree on money being a major factor. It is alot cheeper to telecast "Log rolling championships" and "Worlds Strongest Man" than it is to televise a championship bout. Tv is about filling time slots at the lowest cost. That is why alot of good shows are cancelled and replaced with reality tv. It is alot cheeper to film people without having to pay actors, writers and producers.

They do however use boxing to attract viewers to new channels. When ESPN started ESPN2, ESPN dropped it's regular boxing show and people tuned into ESPN2 for the sport. Univison regularly televised boxing til they started Telefutura, then Univision dropped it and viewers tuned into the new outlet. WealthTV is a great example if this as well. Ironic, but boxing has proven to draw very good ratings. However ratings are not as important if the network has to spend money to get them.
      Last edited by TBear; 12-15-2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
        HBO changed the way the things were done. They came along and stole away boxing and used it as a way to promote the HBO package and then took it one step further by selling PPV's. Showtime came along and started competing with HBO using the same formula. Now with that being said...I just finished watching an interview with Bernard Hopkins on Jim Rome not 15 mins ago and it seems boxing will be making a return to CBS in the near future...and I'm looking forward to it.
        Really? Well, when that happens, can you let me know here, because I'd like to watch that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Really? Well, when that happens, can you let me know here, because I'd like to watch that.
          It just happened earlier today (15th) after the basketball game. It was a solid fight too which should be good news for the sport.
          Last edited by Brockton Lip; 12-16-2012, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X