Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just for the record who won hagler or leonard ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just for the record who won hagler or leonard ?

ok its an age old question but who really won this fight marvin hagler or sugar ray leonard ??? ive recently watched an hbo doco and read leonards book and iam curious how you all see it ?? i think the more ive watched it the more i lean toward hagler even though it was a poor performance by him , i think leonard slapped and ran mugging dosent win rounds.

Originally posted by bender2000 View Post
    ok its an age old question but who really won this fight marvin hagler or sugar ray leonard ??? ive recently watched an hbo doco and read leonards book and iam curious how you all see it ?? i think the more ive watched it the more i lean toward hagler even though it was a poor performance by him , i think leonard slapped and ran mugging dosent win rounds.
    I've always had it for Leonard, first time I watched it I had it very clear; but on subsequent watches it did seem closer. Its near as dammit impossible to argue that Hagler won more than five rounds though.

He gave away too many rounds early and didn't show enough intensity later on (I blame his corner, even Gil Clancy said they were talking to him between rounds like it was an 'IBM meeting', not a fight which was very close).

Plus, Hagler simply wasn't as good as he was two years previously. He looked slow, his reactions were poor, his accuracy wasn't great and his gameplan was unfathomable.

If Leonard had come back in 1985 I think we'd have seen a better fight from Hagler, almost certainly one that he'd have won.

Leonard caught him at the right time.

Comment

I remember watching it live and before the decision wa made I said Hagler has won it but the decision will be given to Leonard. Hagler was slowing down at this point of his career if the fight was made 2 years earlier there is no way Hagler would have lost.

Comment

I've always scored it 115-113 for Leonard.

In any event, it was an extremely close fight- in no way can it be called a robbery, and so the official scoring is all that really matters here.

Comment

I was cheering for Hagler, but had Leonard by one point.

Comment

I had it for Leonard

Comment

It was very close but leonard won by a whisker. The Hagler that outworked duran would have beat leonard.

Comment

There are throw away fights, this was one! Ray was smart and waited and Marvin still thought he could catch him. Either way in a perfect bout both in solid condition Ray could possibly win a decision but I think Hagler gets to him.
                Marvin wasn't a one punch guy but he was relentless and abit tuffer than Ray was.
                I probably give the fight to Hagler, if I remember it correctly Ray ran way to much and I don't give rounds to runners!! Moving to score and step in is one thing but wasting seconds and minutes is not boxing. Its not ring generalship its wasting time because you fear engagement!
                Either way I'm glad Marvin got out when he did, as for Leonard he just couldn't let it go and then robbed poor Hearns in their oldies match up. Tommy kicked his butt!! Ray.

Comment

Yeah agree on the Hearns fight, even Ray admits that. I think if that last round was 10-9 for Leonard instead of 10-8, it would've gone to Hearns by one point instead of a draw, but it shouldn't have even been that close. As for this one, I thought Leonard won. I don't care if a guy runs, just whether he lands more than his opponent and thought Leonard did that. And yeah, he did catch Marvin at the right time. Ray had some ring rust, only fighting once in the last five years and Hagler aging and rusty, fighting twice in the last 3.

Comment

Can't remember what I scored it. I had the video & watched it over & over again. I dod remember having Ray up by I think one round but no complaints if someone said Hagler.

Not a robbery, just a very close fight between two all time greats that I was privileged to live through.

Comment

Working...
                    X