Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any legitimacy to the theory SRL "waited for Hagler to get old"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any legitimacy to the theory SRL "waited for Hagler to get old"?

Ive heard people saying before that SRL waited until Hagler "got old" before he fought him and ducked him earlier on. But from what I see he had a serious injury with a detached retina and only fought once in five years. To me, that seems like a legit reason not to be fighting as thats a career ending injury. Its not like he was fighting bums and avoiding Hagler, he wasnt fighting anyone period.

Is there anything more to the story? I was way to young back then to know and didnt get into boxing until around the early 2000's.

Leonard challaged marvin after watching him fight john mugabi and at that time hagler performance did not impress him. He also got concessions like a larger ring and a 12 round instead of a 15 round fight.
    He did beats the odds by winning though but the hagler duran fought was a better fighter.

Comment

It was a little before my time, as well. I do recall watching the fight in '87 when I was in the 6th grade with chicken pox..LOL!! Anyway, Hagler was known to be getting up there in age. But then Leonard had a lot of ring inactivity. I'd say because of that Leonard may have had more of a disadvantage. Ray had a master game plan that obviously worked. Would it have been a better fight several years before? Yeah probably...

Comment

A little, but Leonard wasn't getting any younger, and he DID come out of retirement to fight the middleweight champion while he was at his best as a welterweight.

The fact that he managed to get a win, questionable or not, is pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
          A little, but Leonard wasn't getting any younger, and he DID come out of retirement to fight the middleweight champion while he was at his best as a welterweight.

The fact that he managed to get a win, questionable or not, is pretty amazing.
          That's pretty much the way I see it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            Leonard challaged marvin after watching him fight john mugabi and at that time hagler performance did not impress him. He also got concessions like a larger ring and a 12 round instead of a 15 round fight.
            He did beats the odds by winning though but the hagler duran fought was a better fighter.
            All of hagler recent fights were 12 rounds, not much a concession. Ray also was retired at the time due to detached retina.

Comment

I don't think he waited. But it did help with his decision to accept the fight.

Comment

I've never understood the "waited till he got old" logic, unless a fighter has a magic potion that allows them to retain their physical ability, I don't see how waiting for a fighter to age (while you're aging yourself) would help your chances of beating them. Especially in this case.

Comment

It wasn't a plot on Ray's part. He just happened to see Hagler-Mugabi and thought Hagler was ready to be beaten by somoene with his speed and smarts. He made his intitial retirement decision just days after a primed Hagler demolished Fully Obel. He wasn't up to beating that Hagler, but was the '86-'87 version.

Comment

Yep it's true,he admits it in a documentary I've seen,he said Hagler was a beast in his prime but he saw something in the Mugabe fight that showed him Hagler was past it,he went to see Hagler and Marvin told him he doesn't want to box anymore because he's not in love with it.Ray took advantage of the situation and came out of retirement to challenge Hagler,not my words but his

Comment

Working...
                    X