Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which HWs past and present would have had a good chance of beating a 70s Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I don't think anyone wasn't afraid of Foreman.

I mean, obviously guys fought him. But no one went in there with him and wasn't afraid. He was a scary guy, very scary. He looked scary on the TV. He took intimidating to a whole other level.

The only person more intimidating, to me, was Sonny Liston. But that may well be because I was very young then Liston was fighting.

Foreman and Liston in the same era would have been something to behold.
    and as im sure you know, he learned a lot of his menace from liston. he thought that was the way a fighter should be.

did you ever see liston or foreman fight in person? im interested to hear what you think in particular was intimidating about them.

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    I wouldnt favor Wlad either, he can't fight backing up and that's where Foreman would have him.
    what kind of chance do you give vitali?

personally i feel vitali can make it competitive for 4-5 rounds, then its downhill from there ending with him getting KO'd in a bad way around 6-8. vitali is a tough mofo, but my gut feeling is that foreman comes out dropping bombs playing the numbers game with enough finding their target throughout the first few rounds to break down a vitali who has never experienced punching power such as foreman's. vitali would put up a very spirited effort and i can imagine foreman taking his share of punishment. though i wouldnt be surprised if vitali could survive into the later rounds, i still think hes getting KO'd.
    Last edited by VIPrice; 08-13-2012, 06:40 AM.

Comment

i don't think anyone needs to explain why Liston would make them ***** their pants.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
        and as im sure you know, he learned a lot of his menace from liston. he thought that was the way a fighter should be.

did you ever see liston or foreman fight in person? im interested to hear what you think in particular was intimidating about them.
        Absolutely. They sparred together and Foreman has stated that Liston was the only mean to every back him up. He had great admiration for Sonny.

And no never in the flesh, just on Television.

Comment

holmes, tunney, prime vitali maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            i don't think anyone needs to explain why Liston would make them ***** their pants.
            yeah i wouldnt ever imply they weren't fearsome.
            just interested in another intelligent person's insights.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Absolutely. They sparred together and Foreman has stated that Liston was the only mean to every back him up. He had great admiration for Sonny.

And no never in the flesh, just on Television.
            was there any footage of their sparrings recorded? thats something id like to see.

ah, i see.
            Last edited by VIPrice; 05-24-2014, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
              holmes, tunney, prime vitali maybe
              Why are people picking Tunney when he should have a KO loss to a rusty Dempsey who couldn't even cut the ring properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                Why are people picking Tunney when he should have a KO loss to a rusty Dempsey who couldn't even cut the ring properly?

I thought the long count myth had died out by now.

But I agree, Tunney couldn't beat a prime Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                  It's because of what Jimmy Young did. Foreman had gaping technical flaws that more than a few guys could expose.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                    It's because of what Jimmy Young did. Foreman had gaping technical flaws that more than a few guys could expose.
                    Doesn't count. Foreman was past teh primes, cuz he was sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman View Post
                      Doesn't count. Foreman was past teh primes, cuz he was sad.
                      So the concept of fighters who were never the same after a major loss is unknown to you?

Comment

Working...
                      X