No announcement yet.

If Ricardo Lopez moved up to flyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    Lopez beats anyone in history from flyweight on down, with the possible exception of Jimmy Wilde.

Absolutely no weaknesses in the man. The only times he looked even remotely beatable was against Rosendo Alvarez, who is most definitely an all-time great, and Finito was past his best at that point.

If you've watched as many strawweight bouts as I have, you'd have no doubt that Ricardo Lopez is the greatest Mexican fighter to ever lace up a pair of gloves. His competition was far tougher than he's given credit for.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if Lopez had beaten even ONE flyweight in his career. He was very cautious about moving up in weight and his competition doesn't compare to the ATG flyweights.

Comment

As a huge, HUGE fan of Finito Lopez I'm inclined to disagree with the people saying he would have stayed undefeated had he moved up. I do think he could have beaten Gonzalez or Carbajal, it's just a shame he didn't move up earlier since he had the body frame to be a good Flyweight. I never bought in to the whole hype about him being this "perfect fighter with no weakness". The reason he looked incredible was because he fought no-hopers in a weak division. He dominated the Straweight division but he didn't fight anyone that is worth mentioning.
      He was a f#cking beauty to watch in the ring, so elegant, well rounded, and textbook perfect, but he was far from "unstoppable". At times he fought pretty much the same way, didn't have much inside-fighting skills, and wasn't as good of a counter puncher, at least compared to Juan Manuel Marquez. Even though Lopez seemed more skilled and well rounded than Marquez, Marquez has been tested with far better competition, and therefore should be ranked higher than Lopez IMO.
      I think he would have been troubled by Mark Johnson because of his speed, slickness, and tricky style. I see a fight between him and Johnson ending up like the first Marquez-Johnson fight, although Lopez is capable of dropping or even stopping him. Yuri Arbachakov is another guy who I think would have troubled Lopez. At his best Arbachakov was also a textbook boxer puncher who fought similarly to Lopez and I think he could have dropped Lopez with one of his counter punches.
      But the one guy who I am certain that would have gotten into Lopez's ass would be Jung Koo Chang. The Korean Hawk was an incredible fighter who would have given Finito hell with his unrelentless pressure, speed, timing, stamina, and great defensive radar. Fought with a style that reminds me of a young Roberto Duran and Aaron Pryor although he wasn't much of a puncher. If Rosendo Alvarez could trouble Lopez with his rough style Chang would have been 10x worse. Chang is probably the greatest fighter in the smaller weight division next to Ricardo Lopez.
      Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
        Chang is probably the greatest fighter in the smaller weight division next to Ricardo Lopez.
        Hilario Zapata ?.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          Hilario Zapata ?.
          Zapata is too much of a headcase to be in the same category with Chang or Lopez. Great defensive fighter and pure boxer, although not mentally tough, but I think he's just a level below Chang, who beat Zapata in the first (although he was robbed) and second fight.
          Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
            Zapata is too much of a headcase to be in the same category with Chang or Lopez. Great defensive fighter and pure boxer, although not mentally tough, but I think he's just a level below Chang, who beat Zapata in the first (although he was robbed) and second fight.
            He achieved just as much both of them, you can't take away from his achievements just because he was a 'headcase'.
            What would you say was a 'pure' boxer as well ?.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
              Fact is, against only historically meaningfull fighter he faced finito looked significantly worse and more beatable, in reality he could've very well lost both fights to Rosendo Alvarez who of course was very good, but rather not ATG fighter.
              Saman Sorjarong was Lopez most significant opponent NOT Alvarez that is common knowledge for anybody who knows Lopez career

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                Saman Sorjarong was Lopez most significant opponent NOT Alvarez that is common knowledge for anybody who knows Lopez career
                Whoah....No way. Alvarez was more significant. Way more significant. Saman was a great, and underrated win for him, but Rosendo was a beast and, along with Lopez, the stand out fighter of the little guys during that era.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post

Not even subtle are you these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                    So this guy is just trolling around?
                    Let me just put it this way, he has Virgil Hill above Pernell Whitaker on his ATG list.

I'll leave it at that

Comment

As great as I think Lopez looked in there I always wondered if he was as great as he looked. Perhaps he was beating tremendous fighters at straw and such, but it was hard to gauge those foes because of their lack of exposure?

I can tell you at the time I did not think he could beat either Too Sharp or Carbajal. Thought Too Sharp was just too quick and good all around and thought Carbajal was a monster puncher (underrated in history as such, and a bigger hitter than Lopez) and tough guy who could wear down and take Ricardo out.

Comment

Working...
                      X