Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List Some of the most Dominant Performances Where a Fighter Avenged an Earlier Defeat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked how Kenny Norton avenged his loss to Jose Luis Garcia. Rematch was brutal and one-sided, Norton just destroyed Garcia using great body punching and uppercutts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
      I liked how Kenny Norton avenged his loss to Jose Luis Garcia. Rematch was brutal and one-sided, Norton just destroyed Garcia using great body punching and uppercutts.
      I remember watching their first fight on local TV. Garcia was really a cruiserweight (before they existed) so this was a stunner. It was the first hint that Norton's chin was quite vulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        But it is under the same circumstance as the question being asked so again, that doesn't matter.
        At least to me the word "avenge" implies that you "returned the favor" "or "set the record straight" which is what happened in all the other fights except Margarito vs Cotto 2 which was a meaningless fight between 2 shot fighters that proved nothing

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          At least to me the word "avenge" implies that you "returned the favor" "or "set the record straight" which is what happened in all the other fights except Margarito vs Cotto 2 which was a meaningless fight between 2 shot fighters that proved nothing
          No, to a avenge a loss it means you beat the person that previously beat you.

Whether it proves anything or not is irrelevant.

The Cotto-Margarito situation is one that fits the description of the question being asked.

It's not difficult to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Cotto may have been past his prime, but he was hardly shot. The success of the promotion proved that the fight was hardly meaningless. You make it sound like Hopkins-Jones II, which thankfully hasn't been mentioned yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Cotto may have been past his prime, but he was hardly shot. The success of the promotion proved that the fight was hardly meaningless. You make it sound like Hopkins-Jones II, which thankfully hasn't been mentioned yet.
              Which pains me to say but Tarver/Jones 2 probably belongs on the list.

Comment

gatti - ward 2

louis - schmeling

patterson - johansson 2

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  patterson - johansson 2
                  That one should have come up sooner. Great revenge fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    That one should have come up sooner. Great revenge fight.

what a left hook(s)

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson vs. Gene Fullmer

Just watched that one on ESPN Classic.

Comment

Working...
                      X