Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Floyd had crazy talent, but I don't think he beats either Leonard or Duran nor has he beaten the same level of fighters they did. We can say he'd beat this one or that one but there is no proof, and his resume simply falls short of other greats who's talent may not have been as obvious but who fought the fights that court greatness.

i'd actually pick floyd to beat a lot of historic tier WW. he's just that good at boxing. the guy is sublime. unreal skills. enough to reduce a great fighter with the wrong style to a much lesser quantity

fantasy fights dont get you in the top 10, though.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      lol what?
      how is it irrelevant when it was what i was talking about (mayweather jr getting blasted the hell out by marvin hagler or totally swamped on scorecards.)
      It's irrelevant because your basis for that was that "Mayweather averages 25 punches a round" which he of course, does not.

clottey, williams, cotto, margarito, mosley, berto all made for an intresting WW division. all decent fighters. mostly around their primes. it was the hottest division in boxing. comparing those fights to a malinaggi fight against a nobody is not at all accurate. they're not even in the same ballpark. at one time or another williams, cotto, margarito, clottey were all considered to be very good fighters. what's happened in hindsight doest have any bearing on that. that's the way it was. that's why it was such a hot division.
      Berto? Berto's amongst those names? And was back then?

Williams, Mosley, Cotto and Margarito maybe. Clottey? No.

A nobody? He's fighting a Belt Holder and Top 10 contender. Isn't that exactly what you said about Clottey? Being a "Belt holder"?

For Clottey it's about being a "Belt Holder" but it's not for the guy Malignaggi is fighting? (I don't know his name) Why not?

and again, on floyd being a great welterweight (or not being a great welterweight

are you insinuating that by my post i was calling floyd mayweather a great welterweight?
      It seemed like it.

You referred to Mayweather's one sided fight with Marquez and then followed it immediately with "He doesn't belong in the ring with a great WW"

Who were you referring to? Ray Leonard? Or who?

I don't know who else you could be referring to besides the person you were immediatly referring to.

And I just wouldn't presume you were talking about Marquez-Leonard.

I know you don't think Mayweather is a great WW which is why I was confused to your post.

he dominated every second of the marquez fight, and marquez did not belong in the ring with him, but that doesnt mean i'm calling him a great welterweight. a great welterweight would beat the trash out of marquez. floyd was barely breaking him down.
      He broke him down quite well I thought.

15 Round fight he would have stopped him most likely. He pushed for it in Round 11 and beat the **** out of him.

the orignal intent of my post was to compare him to ray leonard, a great fighter but one outside of the top 10
      I know.

I know you don't think Mayweather is in the same leauge as Ray Leonard.

Everyone regular in here knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyjones View Post
        Oh wait i forgot your the f**king oracle,mayweather for my money beats both duran convincingly!!
        Give me 1 piece of evidence pointing to a Mayweather win against Leonard?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          It's irrelevant because your basis for that was that "Mayweather averages 25 punches a round" which he of course, does not.

Berto? Berto's amongst those names? And was back then?

Williams, Mosley, Cotto and Margarito maybe. Clottey? No.

A nobody? He's fighting a Belt Holder and Top 10 contender. Isn't that exactly what you said about Clottey? Being a "Belt holder"?

For Clottey it's about being a "Belt Holder" but it's not for the guy Malignaggi is fighting? (I don't know his name) Why not?

It seemed like it.

You referred to Mayweather's one sided fight with Marquez and then followed it immediately with "He doesn't belong in the ring with a great WW"

Who were you referring to? Ray Leonard? Or who?

I don't know who else you could be referring to besides the person you were immediatly referring to.

And I just wouldn't presume you were talking about Marquez-Leonard.

I know you don't think Mayweather is a great WW which is why I was confused to your post.

He broke him down quite well I thought.

15 Round fight he would have stopped him most likely. He pushed for it in Round 11 and beat the **** out of him.

I know.

I know you don't think Mayweather is in the same leauge as Ray Leonard.

Everyone regular in here knows that.

you're really just nitpicking my posts and i have zero interest in getting into that.

berto was one of the contenders along with williams, marg, clottey, cotto. just as i said in the post. it was the hottest division in boxing. not on the level of malinaggi and whoever the hell he is fighting. if you cant remember that i dont know what i can tell you. all of these guys were respected fighters at that stage. it wouldnt have been such a hot division if it weren't.

i did not say floyd averages 25 punches a fight
          i was talking about what would happen if he fought marvin hagler. either in that post or one following it i explain it fully, that floyd's never been in the ring with anybody even remotely resembling a great southpaw middleweight with one of the best chins ever.

i dont know what you're getting hung up on, especially after further clarification

why are continuously you trying to insinuate that i was calling floyd mayweather a historic tier great welterweight? i dont get why you keep harping on about that as if i dont know a great welterweight from one with a lacking resume? is that the intention? to illustrate that i do not know a great welterweight?
          to illustrate that i was indeed calling floyd a great welterweight because i dont know what makes a great welterweight?

Comment

you're really just nitpicking my posts and i have zero interest in getting into that.

berto was one of the contenders along with williams, marg, clottey, cotto. just as i said in the post. it was the hottest division in boxing. not on the level of malinaggi and whoever the hell he is fighting. if you cant remember that i dont know what i can tell you. all of these guys were respected fighters at that stage. it wouldnt have been such a hot division if it weren't.

i did not say floyd averages 25 punches a fight
            i was talking about what would happen if he fought marvin hagler. either in that post or one following it i explain it fully, that floyd's never been in the ring with anybody even remotely resembling a great southpaw middleweight with one of the best chins ever.

i dont know what you're getting hung up on, especially after further clarification

why are continuously you trying to insinuate that i was calling floyd mayweather a historic tier great welterweight? i dont get why you keep harping on about that as if i dont know a great welterweight from one with a lacking resume? is that the intention? to illustrate that i do not know a great welterweight?
            to illustrate that i was indeed calling floyd a great welterweight because i dont know what makes a great welterweight?
            I said in my post that I know you don't think Floyd Mayweather is a great WW.

And I don't think WW was the best Division in Boxing at that time but it was certainly one of them.

Comment

I said in my post that I know you don't think Floyd Mayweather is a great WW.

And I don't think WW was the best Division in Boxing at that time but it was certainly one of them.

ok im sorry

i've had a long week bro
              long as f#ck. good week, just long.

maybe i'll see you in a RBR tonight

Comment

ok im sorry

i've had a long week bro
                long as f#ck. good week, just long.

maybe i'll see you in a RBR tonight
                Trust me, at this point in my life I know about long weeks.

I wasn't trying to insult you or your intelligence, friend. I was just asking about a few things I was confused about in your post that you've clarified.

What fight's on tonight? It's late here in the UK I'll be heading to bed soon

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Give me 1 piece of evidence pointing to a Mayweather win against Leonard?

floyd said he's the best ever and that is good enough for me.

i bet if you got roger drunk enough you could get him to admit that he thinks robinson would kick floyds ass

Comment

floyd said he's the best ever and that is good enough for me.

i bet if you got roger drunk enough you could get him to admit that he thinks robinson would kick floyds ass
                    I think Roger would admit that sober.

I know he thinks Robinson is the greatest of all time.

Comment

Trust me, at this point in my life I know about long weeks.

I wasn't trying to insult you or your intelligence, friend. I was just asking about a few things I was confused about in your post that you've clarified.

What fight's on tonight? It's late here in the UK I'll be heading to bed soon

sillahk. matched light i think . another forgettable friday. not really a prospect anymore at this stage but i'm not sure what to make of hiim yet.

javier fortuna is a nice little prospect, too. great power. saw him stretch some guy live once. stretched him. bing bang boom. quick little opponent too.

fellas are fighting on showbox too but i cannot for the life of me remember who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X