Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
    I'll assume for now you are a reasonable and fair poster.

How can you hold it against floyd that ODH,SHane, cotto and Manny (each for their own reasons) all refused to fight Floyd when they were prime?
    you mean floyd refused.

lets not open up a whole can of worms here. we can go all day with no resolution as to who ducked who and why this fight didnt get made and whose to blame etc..

lets deal with facts and stay on point here,

Floyd has yet to beat a legit prime hall of fame fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DTMB View Post
      you mean floyd refused.

lets not open up a whole can of worms here. we can go all day with no resolution as to who ducked who and why this fight didnt get made and whose to blame etc..

lets deal with facts and stay on point here,

Floyd has yet to beat a legit prime hall of fame fighter.
      I never used the word duck. The fact is ODh, SHane, Cotto and manny all refused to fight floyd when they were prime.

If you hold against him the "prime" fighter thing, at least be honest about why that is the case. If you can't admit that then there is no point in discussing.
      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 05-12-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

that he has yet to face a legit HALL OF FAMER in their prime.
        You could argue Castillo is a HOF'er he beat in his prime.

But not really a "Legit" one. Or surefire.

I personally wouldn't vote for him.

Comment

so what are you saying james toney is greater than pacquiao?

ray leonard and tommy hearns had catchweights. so did bernard hopkins. toney is the better skilled and more natural boxer than in comparison to pac but pac has the resume.

you old school farts love to spout off about resume and defend old school fighters in order to degrade modern fighters yet when it comes to actually using your criteria of resume > skill and talent you forget about that in this instance pac who is clearly the higher ranked fighter than toney.

& didnt chavez sr use a catch weight against pernell?

another double standard exposed.
          No, I am saying that Freddie Roach does not consider Pac the best fighter he trained, because he told me so. You can draw your own conclusions.

I have no idea why you bring up Hearns and Leonard, who I did not mention.

As for JC you have two options, both are fine with me
          1) scratch JC off the list, and repeat the post with the other names, same exact thing.
          2) face the fact that 1 year before having to "drain himself" at 145, Pea fought Pineda, 2 years before that he was still fighting at 135. Compare that with Pac's cathweights and stop whining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Chavez did have a catchweight of 145 for the Whitaker fight. And while Floyd agreed to a catchweight of 144 to lure JMM to fight him, he made no effort to make that weight.

And Pacquaio's next opponent is unbeaten and in his prime.
            Drop JC off the list, fine with me. However as I had to point out to the other guy, Pea made 140 1 year before being forced to make 145. 2 years before he was still fighting at 135. Since we are talking about 145, let us make that comparison. Last time Cotto made 140 3 years before he had to make 145.

I hate to break to you, but catchweights mean nothing for the guy moving up because he is free to choose to weigh anything below that.

I am personally very happy that Pac is finally fighting a live body, and I look forward to the fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
              All I have tried to point out that is that a COMPLETE fighter has it all,,, including the ability to KO someone, if Greb was way behind on points in a matchup with Robinson, or anyone else for that matter the only way he's gonna win the fight is by a knockout, am I right, or am I just an idiot or a simpleton that WMute says I am ?....... Greb had a great record as did Robinson, as did Darcy.... by the way Mute, I hate wrestling, period, I prefer to wrestle with women.... But back to my point,, it is a fact that Harry was not a great puncher,, Ray was, and there is nothing that Harry could do that Ray couldn't,, plus I've only seen Greb in a sparring session
              Stopped reading, that last line is just brilliant McGoorty, nothing Greb could do that Ray couldn't and that 1 playful spar that you've seen of him is proof of that ?. Don't see Ray beating Tunney by the way.

As for 'all' you tried to point out is that a Complete fighter has it all, I'm not arguing that at all. You said in the post that started this that Greb is in no way comparable to Ray Robinson when he very clearly is, don't try to twist what we were talking about.
              Last edited by NChristo; 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

what a ridiculous thread.

Floyd has yet to defeat a bona fide legit HOF fighter IN THEIR PRIME yet we are asking questions like this?

Just look at floyd's top wins, none of them are legit bona fide hall of famers.

The legit HOFers that floyd did beat were all past prime (odh, jmm, mosley).
                JMM wasn't past his prime. The reason Floyd doesn't get full credit for the win is because Marquez was moving up 2 weight classes + Floyd didn't make weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
                  Drop JC off the list, fine with me. However as I had to point out to the other guy, Pea made 140 1 year before being forced to make 145. 2 years before he was still fighting at 135. Since we are talking about 145, let us make that comparison. Last time Cotto made 140 3 years before he had to make 145.

I hate to break to you, but catchweights mean nothing for the guy moving up because he is free to choose to weigh anything below that.

I am personally very happy that Pac is finally fighting a live body, and I look forward to the fight.
                  I don't doubt that Whitaker made 145 easily, but Cotto weighed 146 for his previous fight just five months before. So it wasn't an outrageous weight drop and Cotto never used it as an excuse. You can be certain that if Floyd ever fought Sergio Martinez he would demand a catchweight.

Comment

I don't doubt that Whitaker made 145 easily, but Cotto weighed 146 for his previous fight just five months before. So it wasn't an outrageous weight drop and Cotto never used it as an excuse. You can be certain that if Floyd ever fought Sergio Martinez he would demand a catchweight.
                    Should I remind you also that Cotto never made 147 after the Pacquiao fight, while Pea comfortably made 147 for the rest of his career? Don't try to make it sound like the two are in any way similar

wrt PBF/Martinez... How can I be certain? It still has to happen (Given that Martinez already offered 154, I doubt PBF will demand anything as you suggest)

Comment

It wasn't just the weight but the rehydration limit as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X