Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    I'd say Top 50.

His accomplishments are superb and even though I tend not to H2H ability does slip into my rating of Roy Jones as he was that damn good.

I sometimes think to myself could this guy beat Hagler? Then I remember, no no-one can beat Hagler. Roy Jones is the only time I'd ever contemplated it though.

math was never my strong suit, but isnt 50 less than 100, lol?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      175 has some really tough fights, guys with size, power, and styles that might beat Roy. As great as I believe Roy was at his best, some of those fighters would probably be too much. 160 though, screw it there's no one I'm picking over Roy.
      Yeah, at 175 I think there's a handful I'd lean on. Still, Roy's got a shot against a lot, if not all the LHW greats.

At 160 I probably wouldn't pick anyone against him.

Perhaps Robinson, Hagler and Monzon but even then I think he wins. Still, it would be competitive. But Roy was just so strong at 160.

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Hopkins beat Jean Pascal!

Being a kid isn't an excuse. I am one of those kids, it's called Google. You can find just about any Roy or Hopkins fight worth watching. Although, you could just take a look at their records and see that Roy beat Hopkins, when they were at similar points in their career, and then find video of the fight just as easy.

Of course, people like to overrate Hopkins in general because of how long he's been fighting now. As if that proves he was better than Roy.

People rate that Pascal win so highly. Carl Froch beat Pascal relatively easily.

I've heard guys say the Pascal win is better than anything Mayweather or Pacquaio have done in their career's

I've heard people say Hopkins is the greatest active fighter multiple times.

When the likes of Holyfield, Roy Jones, Mayweather and Pacquaio are all still active.

I rank all of them above Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Yeah, at 175 I think there's a handful I'd lean on. Still, Roy's got a shot against a lot, if not all the LHW greats.

At 160 I probably wouldn't pick anyone against him.

Perhaps Robinson, Hagler and Monzon but even then I think he wins. Still, it would be competitive. But Roy was just so strong at 160.

People rate that Pascal win so highly. Carl Froch beat Pascal relatively easily.

I've heard guys say the Pascal win is better than anything Mayweather or Pacquaio have done in their career's

I've heard people say Hopkins is the greatest active fighter multiple times.

When the likes of Holyfield, Roy Jones, Mayweather and Pacquaio are all still active.

I rank all of them above Hopkins.
        I remember that thread.

Didn't matter what anyone said, couldn't change Bushbaby's mind.

It's unbelievable IMO that anyone would think Hopkins has a better career than Roy, Holyfield, Mayweather, or Pacquiao. I just can't understand that logic. Longevity is impressive, but not that impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          math was never my strong suit, but isnt 50 less than 100, lol?
          Yeah but, Top 100 usually implies Top 100 but, not Top 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            Yeah but, Top 100 usually implies Top 100 but, not Top 50.

i saw the word "ATG" and i equate that with top 100 generally

i'd have to think about actually placing jones in the 100 somewhere

getting into the top 50 boxers ever isn't done idly.
            i've got a top 25 pretty well sorted in my mind and he's nowhere near that

in the next 25?
            certainly possible. like i said, it's about who you rank behind him and ahead of him at that stage
            fighter by fighter

Comment

Originally posted by lightsout_finit View Post
              YES!!
              At his best he looked super ****in human......
              And lets not forget he did middle to heavy........

AND Hopkins is beneath him in EVRY way.

Hey TS If Hopkins is so good why did he wait til Jones is shot to get revenge like some sort of frightened vulture??

If I'm not mistaken this was something no one has accomplished in 100+ years sucessfully. That alone IMO puts him somewhere on the ATG list. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Merciless1 View Post
                If I'm not mistaken this was something no one has accomplished in 100+ years sucessfully. That alone IMO puts him somewhere on the ATG list. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                That is correct, first since Bob Fitzsimmons who achieved the feat by taking the LHW title in 1903.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyh1015 View Post
                  I should slap the **** out of YOU for even asking this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I second this.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                    Michael Moorer is a tough fight...
                    I'd pick Jones over Moorer without even blinking at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      I'd pick Jones over Moorer without even blinking at 175.
                      Yeah Moorer's resume at LHW is too thin and I doubt he could've made weight long enough to gain the experience needed to have anything more than a puncher's chance against Jones.

Comment

Working...
                      X