No announcement yet.

Best rivalry fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    Luisito Espinoza vs. Alejandro Gonzalez(Sr.) was a good rivalry. Each scored a dramatic knock out of the other and went on to win a featherweight title.
    There never was a rubbermatch but there was a national rivalry present to boot.

And I suspect few fight rivalries compare on any level to Louis-Schmeling.

Edit: I have the Espinoza-Gonzalez matches somewhere on dvd, I will put up a video if I can find them.

Comment

Which fighter today in ANY weight class can throw short left hooks under the heart like Louis did? The angle of his arm and the turning in with his punches simply aren't done today. Any fighter caught on the ropes the way Max was is gonna get hurt with thoughs shots!! I don't care what your height or weight is when Joe Louis hits you in the heart your gonna feel it and if you've never experienced that punishment you have NO idea of the effect it has you.
      Correct techniques applied in a method for success is extremely difficult to over come.
      Joes only flaw was leaping in with the left hook but the vast majority of those attempts are when he sees his opponents eyes loose their focus so he takes the chance. Theres always opportunities in a fight when a fighter either takes a chance or doesn't. Sometimes its a win or be satisfied playing it safe situation and its appartent the "play it safe" thought patterns are the norm today. Its the old saying you gotta "beat the champ to be the champ" that makes the difference between a true challenger and an opponent. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Post some of your favourite rivalry fights. Preferably with vids. I'm thinking about Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, US vs. UK etc.
        Reading comprehension is non-existent these days lol.

Sanchez vs Gomez = the biggest one. The way Gomez was beating all the other mexicans before this one, the way Sanchez almost beat him in the first couple of rounds, the way Gomez try to comeback and how it ended it was a great fight.

Cotto vs Margarito 2 - Here is my take and why IMO is one of the best fights of the rivalry. This was pure revenge. Cotto was convince that Tony cheated. Cotto the only champion that PR had, had to make a statement for himself and for PR. I dont care what people think they saw, Cotto won. For us ricans, it is good to have a champion like him. Most of us are proud to support him.

Esteban de Jesus vs Roberto Duran - My dad and my uncle went to MSG to watch the first fight. This was like a the beginning of a new era of boricua fan. He beat who was consider one of the best. He brought so much glory to our island to later fcked it up by outside the rings issues.

Alfredo Escalera vs Alexis Argüello - as far as I have read, this is one of the most memorable fights in PR. The two fights were war.

I know that people that been watching longer than me might dispute, but those are rivalry of PR vs Mex, Nicaragua and Panama that were great.

Comment

Freitas-Barrios brought the Brazilian-Argentine football rivalry into the boxing ring.

Awesome fight between the two but in the end the big favorite Freitas won in a much tougher than expected fashion.Barrios made a name for himself there.

Too bad a much talked about rematch never happened until 2006 when they fell off the radar.

Comment

Probably my favourite Puerto Rico vs Mexico fight with Pintor vs Gomez.

Comment

Wilfredo Gomez v. Carlos Zarate

Comment

Working...
              X