No announcement yet.

best of the 80's & 90's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best of the 80's & 90's

here is my list of top ranked fighters for the last two decades.

Marvin Hagler was ranked four straight years by the KO panel.

In late 84 they had the top three as:

1)Marvin Hagler
    2)Aaron Pryor
    3)Thomas Hearns

Pryor self destructed while Thomas hearns, KO's fighter of the year for 1984 was levelled by the incomparable Hagler in 85. Anyone else would have been murdered by Hearns including Leonard.

but my pick for the entire decade would Hagler, Camacho, and then Mike Spinks

Actually, I was glad to see Mike humbled.I don't think he really cared but I was glad because I got tired of seeing him in with the likes of Steffan Tangstad, washed up never was/has-been Gerry Cooney who probably threw the fight to begin with, and larry Holmes who had been a shell since his life and death struggle with Tim Witherspoon in 1983.

We saw his true mettle against a young lion instead of old shell in Larry Holmes.

Camacho was untouchable at 130, dominating also at 135 and undefeated for entire decade. Who else could make that claim in the 80's? That's right, no one.

For the 90's we have Roy Jones. No argument there.

IMO, Riddick Bowe. he was better than that china chinned human iceberg Lennonx lewis. More heart and fought harder. Anyone think Bowe would lose to McCall AND Rahman?

He wouldn't have lost to either one let alone by knockout.

DLH gets my third place vote. Love him or hate him, he took on everyone going way beyond the call of duty all the way from where he started at 130 (winning championship there) and fighting for a title from undisputed Champ Hopkins.

Camacho took a pretty sound beating against Edwin Rosario and was still awarded an unjust decision. That was Camachos last fight as a man. After that it was pitty pat and run away.

Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by KingAbdullah
      here is my list of top ranked fighters for the last two decades.

Marvin Hagler was ranked four straight years by the KO panel.

In late 84 they had the top three as:

1)Marvin Hagler
      2)Aaron Pryor
      3)Thomas Hearns

Pryor self destructed while Thomas hearns, KO's fighter of the year for 1984 was levelled by the incomparable Hagler in 85. Anyone else would have been murdered by Hearns including Leonard.

but my pick for the entire decade would Hagler, Camacho, and then Mike Spinks

Actually, I was glad to see Mike humbled.I don't think he really cared but I was glad because I got tired of seeing him in with the likes of Steffan Tangstad, washed up never was/has-been Gerry Cooney who probably threw the fight to begin with, and larry Holmes who had been a shell since his life and death struggle with Tim Witherspoon in 1983.

We saw his true mettle against a young lion instead of old shell in Larry Holmes.

Camacho was untouchable at 130, dominating also at 135 and undefeated for entire decade. Who else could make that claim in the 80's? That's right, no one.

IMO, Riddick Bowe. he was better than that china chinned human iceberg Lennonx lewis. More heart and fought harder. Anyone think Bowe would lose to McCall AND Rahman?

He wouldn't have lost to either one let alone by knockout.

DLH gets my third place vote. Love him or hate him, he took on everyone going way beyond the call of duty all the way from where he started at 130 (winning championship there) and fighting for a title from undisputed Champ Hopkins.

.............Couldn't disagree with you more on your Spinks synopsis. "Showed his true mettle" against Tyson? No........he showed his true mettle by being a completely dominant light heavy for a lot of years, and cleaning out that division, becoming one of the greatest 175 pounders ever.

If that weren't enough, he stepped up to accomplish what no one in history ever had; winning the heavyweight title as reigning light heavy king. Frankly, he deserved the nice paydays and one or two easy nights against the Tangstads of the world. He'd been an exemplary champion, and had gone into uncharted waters as a heavyweight.

Sadly, the Tyson fight is all many fans (especially younger ones) ever remember him for. Damn shame. He deserves better.

Comment

[QUOTE=KingAbdullah]
        For the 90's we have Roy Jones. No argument there.[QUOTE]

And that's where we disagree.

Pernell Whitaker was the fighter of the 90's. Whitaker was a natural lightweight, but had the height of an average featherweight (5'6'). He piled on pounds and won titles at three higher divisions, even though he had a china chin and not enough power to punch through a paper bag.

He fought some MURDEROUS punchers in Tito (that was his first legitimate defeat), Azumah, DLH, and Pineda.

He dominated every single fighter he faced until he fought Tito.

He was legendary but no one knows how good He really was.

Comment

Sanchez, I left out the word "heavyweight".
          So it should read his true mettle as a heavyweight. But you could see that if I ranked him in top three I have a high regard for him even though I didn't especially care about him.

He was a much better fighter than Tyson but he reached too high that night and was overpowered.

he was probably taking safe fights with Tangstad and whoever else he could find to protect his fight with Tyson. he rarely had big money fights in his life and he had to take his chances by getting in the ring with him.

Comment

[QUOTE=TuPrincipe][QUOTE=KingAbdullah]

And that's where we disagree.

Pernell Whitaker was the fighter of the 90's. Whitaker was a natural lightweight, but had the height of an average featherweight (5'6'). He piled on pounds and won titles at three higher divisions, even though he had a china chin and not enough power to punch through a paper bag.

He fought some MURDEROUS punchers in Tito (that was his first legitimate defeat), Azumah, DLH, and Pineda.

He dominated every single fighter he faced until he fought Tito.

He was legendary but no one knows how good He really was.
            i think people respect Pernell. I'll say that I respect him more than I do Ray Leonard. His comp was decent. Ramirez, Nelson, Chavez.

But i saw his fight with DLH and felt he lost. While many scored it for Pernell, I feel Oscar was better. Too fast with his combinations but Pernell got thru it.

Roy Jones way too dominant in the 90's and his speed was even greater than Oscar. Pernell started his career 4 years earlier than Roy so he didn't last thru the entire decade.

I find it strange that you would say Pernell had a china chin. I never felt he had a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin1@sisters
              Camacho took a pretty sound beating against Edwin Rosario and was still awarded an unjust decision. That was Camachos last fight as a man. After that it was pitty pat and run away.

Rockin'
              But he won that fight whereas Bramble was knocked out in two rounds. Camacho was at the top of the food chain.

Look at hector's fight with Davis in 87. Davis had a draw with Meldrick Taylor a few months before and Hector took the fight to him winning every round. Too slick, too smart, and just on another level than his competition.

When he fights like that, he's impossible to beat. hector in his 14th pro fight (vs. Louie Loy) was better than Ali was at any stage of his career-the perfect fighting machine and best Puerto Rican fighter ever.

Comment

Originally posted by KingAbdullah
                Sanchez, I left out the word "heavyweight".
                So it should read his true mettle as a heavyweight. But you could see that if I ranked him in top three I have a high regard for him even though I didn't especially care about him.

He was a much better fighter than Tyson but he reached too high that night and was overpowered.

he was probably taking safe fights with Tangstad and whoever else he could find to protect his fight with Tyson. he rarely had big money fights in his life and he had to take his chances by getting in the ring with him.

..........Fair enough; as a big Michael Spinks fan, I would tend to cut the guy some slack, but I respect your opinion.

Comment

Ill tell you what, Camacho was a great boxer, and one of the smartest boxers to enter the ring. He knew how to stick and move, and had a chin of steel. He has never, ever been knocked down, that is including fights with a prime and young DLH, JCC, Jose Luis Ramirez, Trinidad, Edwin Rosario, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard etc..etc. He is definetely in the top of the list. Just b/c some of you may not like his attitude, you cannot take from away from his talent and his heart. His downfall was himself. I know Macho very well and he admits that he did not dedicate himself to boxing the way he should have.

Oh and he was not robbed of the decision with Rosario. Dont speak about the fight if u never saw it. Camacho won 1-4, 6,7,8,10. Yes He was hurt and out on his feet, but that does not win a decision. Winning rounds does.

Comment

Originally posted by machotime
                    Ill tell you what, Camacho was a great boxer, and one of the smartest boxers to enter the ring. He knew how to stick and move, and had a chin of steel. He has never, ever been knocked down, that is including fights with a prime and young DLH, JCC, Jose Luis Ramirez, Trinidad, Edwin Rosario, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard etc..etc. He is definetely in the top of the list. Just b/c some of you may not like his attitude, you cannot take from away from his talent and his heart. His downfall was himself. I know Macho very well and he admits that he did not dedicate himself to boxing the way he should have.

Oh and he was not robbed of the decision with Rosario. Dont speak about the fight if u never saw it. Camacho won 1-4, 6,7,8,10. Yes He was hurt and out on his feet, but that does not win a decision. Winning rounds does.

...........I have great respect for Camacho's toughness, but he has been knocked down. On a few occasions. The first to do it was in his junior welterweight days, by a guy named Reyes, forget his first name. Trinidad and De La Hoya also both put him down.

Comment

Working...
                    X