No announcement yet.

best of the 80's & 90's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingAbdullah
    i think people respect Pernell. I'll say that I respect him more than I do Ray Leonard. His comp was decent. Ramirez, Nelson, Chavez.

But i saw his fight with DLH and felt he lost. While many scored it for Pernell, I feel Oscar was better. Too fast with his combinations but Pernell got thru it.

Roy Jones way too dominant in the 90's and his speed was even greater than Oscar. Pernell started his career 4 years earlier than Roy so he didn't last thru the entire decade.

I find it strange that you would say Pernell had a china chin. I never felt he had a problem with it.
    Pernell definetly had a china chin, it just never got exposed until late in his career when He didn't have the hand/foot speed that He had before.

Remember, He was about 3 years past his peak when he fought DLH, when DLH was a rising Welterweight. I think people often forget how great Pernell really was. No one ever remembers how he broke his hand against Hurtado, and how he was behind on all cards and ended up knocking him out.

I can honestly say that P4P, Pernell is one of the greatest fighters ever. Pernell had the much stronger resume ten Roy Jones Jr. had, and Pernell took risks unlike Jones.

I think the fact that Pernell had a displeasing style (to average fans not boxing purists) was the reason why He isn't talked about with the greats today. That and his arrogance inside and outside of the ring.

Comment

You seem to have an appreciation for Pernell others have missed so I'll have to take your word for it that Pernell was glass jawed. I know it's true that Pernell was a few years past his prime in 97 (v. DLH).

Maybe I didn't see enough of him but what fight was it that he had trouble with his chin?

Comment

Originally posted by KingAbdullah
        You seem to have an appreciation for Pernell others have missed so I'll have to take your word for it that Pernell was glass jawed. I know it's true that Pernell was a few years past his prime in 97 (v. DLH).

Maybe I didn't see enough of him but what fight was it that he had trouble with his chin?
        I definetly respect Pernell more then most people because of his accomplishments in the ring. He was a defensive genius, and his aggressive style (although He didn't have much power) was something every fighter longed.

I wouldn't say he had a "china" chin, I think that was an overstatement, but his chin definetly wasn't top class as He got knocked down by Tito from a grazing blow (or so it seemed). He also got knocked down twice by Hurtado although you could argue that it was at the end of his career.

Comment

I can never decide on my fighter of the 90s. I think its out of Whitaker, DLH and Jones. Maybe Holyfield too.

Comment

Fighter of the 80s was probably Leonard. Maybe Hagler or Michael Spinks.

In the 90s it was either Cokehead Whitaker or Roy. Holyfield lost too often, was inconsistent, and was Bowe's *****.

Comment

How can anyone give the fighter of th e 80's to anyone beside ray leoanrd...he beat duran, hearns, retired beat hagler...yes he may not have have a ton of fights..but in the fights he did have he accomplished more than anyone else.... Now for the bum who poste Camacho..and listed duran and leonard on his conquest..please..he waited til they were both over 40...camacho got brutalized everytime he stepped up on competition with a yound fighter.. he did beat good fighters..so he is a very good fighter, but not great...tito, dlh. chavez..etc..come on do you think he would have lasted a 2 rounds with duran or leoanrd in their peak...your smoking if you do.

Comment

all i gotta say is tyson for the 80s

Comment

Muhammad Ali the sixties, roberto duran the seventies, sugar ray the eighties and Roy jones the nineties.

Comment

Agree with above, camacho would be beaten convincingly by both leonard and duran of the 80's.

Comment

Working...
                    X