Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which middleweights would you pick to beat 1951 Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    lol sometimes I think your aren't being serious.

either that or a very old man

Also isn't their footage of greb sparring? I'd pick Robinson to merk him.
    He's sparring a retired former champ. Shouldn't be taken seriously and should be treated as a great anecdote of boxing history and nothing else.

Comment

The 1951 Robinson that fought Turpin first time would get outpointed by a number of greats and possibly a few non greats too.......his form was very poor that night.

That said, Robinson looked superb against La Motta that year. I wouldn't pick any middleweights to definitely beat the Robinson from La Motta (Valentines day) or Turpin 2.

Hagler would be a nasty match up, Robinson never faced a southpaw nearly as good.

Middleweight Tommy Hearns without the silly Hagler gung ho gameplan would be a threat too.....

I've never really fancied Monzons chances. Middleweight Roy Jones has a shot, the Leonard that turned up for Hagler would be a good 12 round fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        The 1951 Robinson that fought Turpin first time would get outpointed by a number of greats and possibly a few non greats too.......his form was very poor that night.

That said, Robinson looked superb against La Motta that year. I wouldn't pick any middleweights to definitely beat the Robinson from La Motta (Valentines day) or Turpin 2.

Hagler would be a nasty match up, Robinson never faced a southpaw nearly as good.

Middleweight Tommy Hearns without the silly Hagler gung ho gameplan would be a threat too.....

I've never really fancied Monzons chances. Middleweight Roy Jones has a shot, the Leonard that turned up for Hagler would be a good 12 round fight.
        That Leonard wouldn't be competitive IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          cosig ^^^^ SRL would be outdone in pretty much every department except defense.

And I would bet good money on Hearns getting knocked out (great fight while it lasts though).

Comment

So what we know about Greb:

Threw lots of punches.
            Fast
            Quite Wild.
            Very durable.

Lets be realistic how can we analyse stylistic properties of the bout from these alone.
            Parts of that would fit Turpin, Fulmer, La Motta and Basilio?
            Don't think SRR had many weaknesses but if he struggled against anyone it would be rough tough pressure fighters. Greb would have a great chance, also he had great whiskers so not sure whether SRR could have got him out of there.

Comment

I'd favour the 'Hagler' version of Leonard over the 'Turpin 1' version of Robinson over 12 rounds.

I quite rated the 'Hagler' Leonard, I thought he looked very fast, sharp and mobile that night. Some terrific combination work and pretty accurate.

Its worth having a look at Robinson vs Turpin 1. Robinson really looked a shell of himself. When even 1951 Robinson had a bad night he could look very beatable.
              Last edited by Sugarj; 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                I'd favour the 'Hagler' version of Leonard over the 'Turpin 1' version of Robinson over 12 rounds.

I quite rated the 'Hagler' Leonard, I thought he looked very fast, sharp and mobile that night. Some terrific combination work and pretty accurate.

Its worth having a look at Robinson vs Turpin 1. Robinson really looked a shell of himself. When even 1951 Robinson had a bad night he could look very beatable.
                Leonard had no pop at Middleweight really though.

Comment

You don't need pop to win on the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    You don't need pop to win on the cards.
                    You need it to keep SRR away from you and win on the cards though.

Ray Robinson would not struggle as much as Hagler did with a moving/running Leonard. Robinson had good speed of hand and foot and an excellent rhythm which was hard to disrupt. If Leonard wanted to keep Mr Robinson from setting and landing huge punches on him, he better be firing something back. A trait he lost being heavier/past prime.

Also, if it was judged in Robinson's day. You DID need pop to win on the cards.

Comment

Even if he had serious power at middleweight I doubt it would make much difference, Robinson's chin was superb.

But as Turpin showed......Robinson could be outboxed on a bad night.

Comment

Working...
                      X