Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I losing it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the time alot of people were saying that Leonard won. It was close but Duran took it.

Comment

I think its a case of people seeing those flashy combos. Most of them did not land or were ineffective...but it makes good viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
        I think its a case of people seeing those flashy combos. Most of them did not land or were ineffective...but it makes good viewing.
        That's what I was wondering...

Nonetheless, it's so clear that Duran lands the better stuff, especially in that round, throughout until the last 20 seconds, but it had been such a clear round that the last 20 seconds couldn't have made any difference unless Leonard landed a monster bomb and staggered him or something. As it was, it was equal with both trading, landing and missing.

Comment

Think as well Duran's head movement was so good that Leonard's punches were missing by fractions, I remember a lot of punches hitting Duran's hair but not him. Crowd in the nose bleeds sees it and roars and suddenly......
          I remember someone mentioning in a similar thread mentioning a great uppercut of Leonard's and re watched the round and Duran blocked it with his elbows. Good showing from Leonard and a competetive fight but a clear Duran win

Comment

I just watched the whole fight again 8-6-1 Duran for me also. Anytime someone on this boards favorite loses in any kind of close fashion the outrageous statements start coming. My personal favorites are the British fans who swear if you look close Hatton was really beating Mayweather. Theres also a regular poster who swears Whitaker wasn't ripped off vs Ramirez or Chavez

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
              I just watched the whole fight again 8-6-1 Duran for me also. Anytime someone on this boards favorite loses in any kind of close fashion the outrageous statements start coming. My personal favorites are the British fans who swear if you look close Hatton was really beating Mayweather. Theres also a regular poster who swears Whitaker wasn't ripped off vs Ramirez or Chavez
              Wasn't just the British fans on that one though. There were a lot of people, in general, and quite a lot of US experts, fans, judges etc that also saw that. Even Lederman had Hatton up before the Ko from memory, or even or something.

Mayweather had him under control from the start, and in reality dominated the fight. By the middle rounds it had become a case of not whether he would win, well for those who could actually see the real fight, but rather how good he could look doing it. Turned out to be magnificent.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                Think as well Duran's head movement was so good that Leonard's punches were missing by fractions, I remember a lot of punches hitting Duran's hair but not him. Crowd in the nose bleeds sees it and roars and suddenly......
                I remember someone mentioning in a similar thread mentioning a great uppercut of Leonard's and re watched the round and Duran blocked it with his elbows. Good showing from Leonard and a competetive fight but a clear Duran win
                It was the wind up punch...it looked it landed, even the commentetors were fooled...in the slow mo it showed clearly that Duran just deflected it.

According to Arcel, Duran was a defensive marvel when he chose to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                  It was the wind up punch...it looked it landed, even the commentetors were fooled...in the slow mo it showed clearly that Duran just deflected it.

According to Arcel, Duran was a defensive marvel when he chose to be.
                  Just look at the footage! No testimony from Arcel needed!

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    Yeah, that seems about right. I think I had a similar score except instead of an even round I had another for Duran, from memory.

What about the 13th round in particular though?
                    Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    Yeah, that seems about right. I think I had a similar score except instead of an even round I had another for Duran, from memory.

What about the 13th round in particular though?
                    Duran defintely won. But it was close and competitive. I am not surprised that some irrational fans scored it for Leonard. I've seen it. But I've also seen fans claiming Duran dominated the fight in a one sided way which he didn't.

Comment

Duran controlled the fight. He could not however deny Leonard's will and it made for a competitive fight, more competitive than it looked to be from the outset with Duran having his way and backing Leonard up against the ropes. Duran had to back off in the later rounds as Leonard showed heart, refused to go down and fired off combinations, some of which indeed missed, some of which atleast glanced off Duran. It was not enough. I don't think anyone at ringside, even Leonard, truly thought he had actually won the fight at the time, but he answered a lot of questions about his toughness even in losing.

I believe that Duran felt he had banked enough of the early rounds to allow him to coast late, but it came close to costing him as the judges were atrociously scoring nearly every round a draw. In the end he was awarded a close but clear decision win though.
                      Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-15-2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X