Collapse
No announcement yet.

Felix Savon or Teofilo Stevenson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stevenson, even though people overrate him. Angel Milian beat Vysotsky 3 out of 4 times, Stevenson couldn't do it even once.

Comment

I grew up with Savon so Im biased.

Also RIP Roberto Balado. He was gonna be a bad mfer.

Comment

- -Savon beat some badass future pros, usually by KO.

Would've been a great pro, maybe top 10 all time in potential, but Cubans tend to fall apart in capitalistic countries thus far, perhaps the greatest being Kid Gavilan.

Gold and silver medals are useful in early career promotions, but ain't worth much beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
          you seem to not realise that it is the fact of the communist system that those countries had such good boxing programmes in the first place.

you'll find that as well as stevenson, savon etc. who stayed in cuba also boxers such as gamboa and rigondeaux who have left all credit the system for having made them what they are.
          with no communism, the programme wouldn't exist.

savon wouldn't have even been a boxer as he was destined for a career as a runner until the cuban sports schools system decided he should give boxing a go.

it's a little paradoxical perhaps- they create the best but then they can't easily turn pro, but take away the system and cuba would have only ever been a little above average rather a real powerhouse.

Great post indeed! Very nice insight. I will talk on the Cubans: Whatever was lost by not having great fighters compete professionally was replaced in spades with the great fighters to come out of that system. to me, some of the best technical talents in boxing are found in Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Comment

Stevenson but I am biased as I consider Stevenson a great fighter who would have adjusted to the pro ranks. Just had exceptional tools, speed and finesse. I never saw much on Savon so I cannot judge him.

People often talk about the big hinderance fighting professionally would be for Stephenson. Yet Cuban fighters come over here and always do well. Stevenson might have had a learning curve adjusting to the greater degree of tactics, etc, but I believe he would have made the adjustment and been something to behold.

I catch a lot of flak for my opinion about Stephenson lol. And let me just say this: If he had fought Ali...Why not let them fight two fights, one under each set of rules. LOL.

Comment

Leon Spinks would've cold****ed Stevenson.

Comment

Working...
              X