No announcement yet.

Duane Bobick thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duane Bobick thread

Lets talk about this great white hope. He had a stellar amateur career and I wasn't aware that he was in fact the first guy to beat Teofilo Stevenson, yet he also lost to him in the olympics. He also beat Larry Holmes as amateur, which is pretty well known. Bobick had some punch, 42 kos in 48 wins! But he was kinda strangely proportioned, had a rather strong body but his legs looked suspiciously skinny. Made him look funny on pics, in his boxer stance. Shame about that Norton fight, but he got punched in the adam's apple and shouldn't that be illegal? Very unlucky. He also got wasted by otherwise rather unremarkable puncher Kallie Knoetze. His best win is over Mike Weaver, who also his brother beat. He also beat Scott Le Doux (once by ko and once by dec), Chuck Wepner (one of the few to stop Wepner, and in 6 rounds) and Bunny Johnson.

Rodney Bobick btw also looked promising. Sadly his career got tragically cut short by a car accident. Back to Duane, he is of Polish and German origin. He won a gold in the Pan Am games in 1971 btw, when he beat Stevenson. One of those boxers who had a promising amateur career but kinda fell short as pro. Duane himself nearly got killed in a machine accident after taking a job in heavy industry after his boxing career ended, it was in 1997. He now does coaching, doing volunteer work for schools and churches and working as a city councilman in his hometown.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 11-12-2011, 08:14 PM.

Bobick was overrated and overhyped at the time in an effort to have him replace a fast fading Ali. Duane could fight a little, but he just didn't react well to getting hit. I'll never forget how NBC devoted a two hour time slot to his elimination fight with Ken Norton. I don't even think that they even had a supporting bout, and the fight was over in a minute. Bobick never seemed to recover from that loss.

Comment

Bobick was terrible. He did beat Wepner though.

Comment

I do not believe there's anything in the books about the legality of a punch to the Adam's Apple.

If you get hit there, that's your fault, and I'm not so sure Bobick even was hit there or if it was a desperate excuse from a guy who had just been humiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          I do not believe there's anything in the books about the legality of a punch to the Adam's Apple.

If you get hit there, that's your fault, and I'm not so sure Bobick even was hit there or if it was a desperate excuse from a guy who had just been humiliated.
          He was def hit in the throat, specifically said to be the apple.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
            He was def hit in the throat, specifically said to be the apple.
            Doesn't make any difference. He didn't get knocked out from that. The punch that got him in major trouble was to the head. Not the Adams apple.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              Doesn't make any difference. He didn't get knocked out from that. The punch that got him in major trouble was to the head. Not the Adams apple.
              But that punch stunned him and made it easier for Norton to get him out with the other punch.

Comment

No fighter can aim for and hit another fighter's Adam's Apple.....it's a fluke thing.

Norton threw a punch and it landed in between Bobick's chin and the bottom of his neck. Oh well, he should have protected it better.

Comment

In the book Only the Ring Was Square it was claimed that Ali actually ducked Bobick who was 36-0 or something at that point.

Too bad Bobick never lived upto the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                    In the book Only the Ring Was Square it was claimed that Ali actually ducked Bobick who was 36-0 or something at that point.

Too bad Bobick never lived upto the hype.
                    Perhaps he knew Bobick had beaten Teofilo Stevenson, who he dreaded. And he gave Stevenson a brave fight before being stopped in the rematch.

Comment

Working...
                    X