No announcement yet.

Is Greb Greater Than Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    Your right, Duran does make an excellent argument for himself!

There isn't much footage of Langford, and next to nothing for Greb. But there is strangely quite a bit for Gans.

Its odd that a lightweight would get more fight filming than the heavier Langford and Greb. I'll bet there are films of Greb out there, but they are not yet in the public domain.
    If there is a film, Steve Compton who is writing a book on Greb should have it, but from a apost of his I saw on another site it appears he does not have it yet.

Comment

Your right, Duran does make an excellent argument for himself!

There isn't much footage of Langford, and next to nothing for Greb. But there is strangely quite a bit for Gans.

Its odd that a lightweight would get more fight filming than the heavier Langford and Greb. I'll bet there are films of Greb out there, but they are not yet in the public domain.
      It's hit or miss for fight films pre-WWII. A lot of film (movies, boxing, newsreels, ect.) were cannibalized during the war for their silver nitrate content.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
        If there is a film, Steve Compton who is writing a book on Greb should have it, but from a apost of his I saw on another site it appears he does not have it yet.

We live in hope!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          It's hit or miss for fight films pre-WWII. A lot of film (movies, boxing, newsreels, ect.) were cannibalized during the war for their silver nitrate content.

Poet

If any films of Greb were treated this way it would have been hopelessly ignorant, a crying shame.

The films of so many legendary fighters pre WW1, let alone WW2 seem to exist. Even the likes of Corbett vs Fitzsimmons

We of course have Tunney vs Carpentier, why not at least one of the Greb fights? Surely after the bloodbath first encounter and the disputed return some wise film maker would have thought he could turn a buck from filming fights 3, 4 or 5?

Comment

If any films of Greb were treated this way it would have been hopelessly ignorant, a crying shame.

The films of so many legendary fighters pre WW1, let alone WW2 seem to exist. Even the likes of Corbett vs Fitzsimmons

We of course have Tunney vs Carpentier, why not at least one of the Greb fights? Surely after the bloodbath first encounter and the disputed return some wise film maker would have thought he could turn a buck from filming fights 3, 4 or 5?

What Poet says is quite true, many films were actually destroyed during that time some survived...

I think , the maximum chance of fighting a Greb film is in some obscure library...which might not have been catalogued yet.

yea we all live in hope

Comment

I've just had a bit of a read and apparently several of his fights (as many as 5 were rumoured!) were filmed including Tunney 1 and Walker.

Jimmy Jacobs claimed that he had three frames of Tunney 1 stapled to a copyright application! But searches were all in vain. Some have claimed that it came into the possession of the Tunney estate, I can understand why dear Gene wouldn't have ever wanted the public to see it judging by the reports!

There are rumours that The Walker footage was viewed in a private screening in 1978.....but that the quality was pretty poor even back then!

So, there is some hope that a family member, collector or estate will stumble across footage some day. It appears well known and publicised, not to mention lucrative that something should come to light.........but like Robinson at 147 his legendary abilities will remain......err legendary.

Comment

I've just had a bit of a read and apparently several of his fights (as many as 5 were rumoured!) were filmed including Tunney 1 and Walker.

Jimmy Jacobs claimed that he had three frames of Tunney 1 stapled to a copyright application! But searches were all in vain. Some have claimed that it came into the possession of the Tunney estate, I can understand why dear Gene wouldn't have ever wanted the public to see it judging by the reports!

There are rumours that The Walker footage was viewed in a private screening in 1978.....but that the quality was pretty poor even back then!

So, there is some hope that a family member, collector or estate will stumble across footage some day. It appears well known and publicised, not to mention lucrative that something should come to light.........but like Robinson at 147 his legendary abilities will remain......err legendary.
                I think some claimed that there was a film of him till 1970's...don't know.
                The walker fight was filmed as was the Tunney fight...most likely the fight with Tommy Gibbons...

The fights would have been great to watch...nothing of Rosenbloom survived too, considering the number of fights he was in and his length of activity, also later than Greb...it seems preposterous there is no film of the man.

Comment

Jimmy Jacobs is a goddamned fiend. Not only did he hoard all those classic fights, many of which have never been seen, but he refused to let them be seen by anyone and had them all insured and vaulted, then he sold them to ESPN I believe for some huge, hideous amount and they still haven't been released.

What's the point of film if it's not going to become public history and be used to show what was? I really dislike that attitude that the public or whatever are not deserving, which so many historians and collectors have.

So many, Jacobs being a major case, hoard massive amounts of truly historic, classic film and don't allow any viewing for their own ego and later financial reward and most of the time it just gets passed on to the next hoarder until one day it finally disappears. Rather than allow such important pieces of history to study and research and viewing by the public they become nothing more than possibles and figments no clearer than what we are able to make from newspaper accounts and memory. The fact that so much could be made clear to history, but for one mans ego and greed, is incredibly disappointing, yet very typical and human nature. More and more history is being overlooked or even destroyed and ignored for immediate gain and greed. Very sad.
                  Last edited by BennyST; 10-08-2011, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    Jimmy Jacobs is a goddamned fiend. Not only did he hoard all those classic fights, many of which have never been seen, but he refused to let them be seen by anyone and had them all insured and vaulted, then he sold them to ESPN I believe for some huge, hideous amount and they still haven't been released.

What's the point of film if it's not going to become public history and be used to show what was? I really dislike that attitude that the public or whatever are not deserving, which so many historians and collectors have.

So many, Jacobs being a major case, hoard massive amounts of truly historic, classic film and don't allow any viewing for their own ego and later financial reward and most of the time it just gets passed on to the next hoarder until one day it finally disappears. Rather than allow such important pieces of history to study and research and viewing by the public they become nothing more than possibles and figments no clearer than what we are able to make from newspaper accounts and memory. The fact that so much could be made clear to history, but for one mans ego and greed, is incredibly disappointing, yet very typical and human nature. More and more history is being overlooked or even destroyed and ignored for immediate gain and greed. Very sad.

Look, I have always had doubts about Jacobs claim. Whether he actually saw that fight,no doubt it was filmed, though.

I read somewhere that this was followed up, and actually nothing came of it...Some guy in a blog also posted that he had seen Greb and eventually the truth will come out.

As I said there must be some film but I think it is lying somewhere uncatalogued and no one even knows it is there. I think if it was there with guys like Jacobs they would have wanted to sell it and guys like Compton would have found it, much like Clay Moyle found Langford films.

I still have hope, that some film will emerge, but we are rapidly running out of time.

Comment

The Jimmy Jacobs collection has such legendary status that some are willing to believe almost every famous fight in history is in their possession. I doubt he had any of Greb's fights. Regarding his comments, bear in mind that Jacobs was a bit of a wind up merchant and enjoyed teasing people about what fights he had. When someone came into his office he'd have a blank reel labeled 'Langford vs Ketchel' sitting on the desk just to see the look on their face.

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      But look at it from their point of view. If you'd spent thousands on a collection of rare fights, not to mention dedicated years of your life to it, would you then just put them all on Youtube?
                      Last edited by Kid McCoy; 10-08-2011, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X