No announcement yet.

Dempsey vs. Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    You keep referring to marciano's chin....How would you know how much measurably better Demsey's chin is than Marciano considering the number of times Marciano's chin was challenged? Dempsey meanwhile was beat around the ring by the wild man of Pomona spain and almost lost that fight....was down against the much smaller Tunney.

I am not sure who would win, still thinking about it but your lack of logic combined with the willngness to call others stupid is irritating.
    Much smaller Tunney!?!?!?

I know the internet is where people come to be stupid, but you're taking too much liberty.

Tunney was a famed puncher and faced a faded Dempsey. He still opted to box. He certainly passed on going for the kill.

Tunney clowns a prime Marciano, but barely survives against a prime Dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by realheavyhands View Post
      no white man had it worse then a black man in those times.
      Right because white men weren't sent to die in the MILLIONS for the freedom of black men just a generation or two before...

White men clearly rose to the top quicker because of genetics, but social norms favored blacks.

Comment

Originally posted by M26 View Post
        Jack Dempsey was great, there is no doubt about it. However, his gameness would be his downfall in my opinion. Dempsey would be more than willing to trade with Marciano, and then it comes down to who hits harder and who can take the best punch.

Rocky Marciano had the harder punch and he most likely had a stronger chin as well.
        Based on what!? His fight with Archie Moore?

Comment

Fleischer who watched both men many times from ringside stated he felt Dempsey hit harder. He also stated that Dempsey and Marciano can ONLY be compared in terms of their punching power as Dempsey was the far greater fighter. One close look would tell anyone the same thing. Dempsey has all the nuances, speed. It is difficult for me to envision Marciano lasting five rounds under prime Dempsey’s opening rush.

As stated Tunney was a superbly conditioned 190 pound hwt. He was the greatest pure boxer ever to hold the hwt championship. His right hand in his time was as feared a weapon as Listons right hand decades later (as per one of Tunneys trainers who lived into the 1960’s).

Comment

Originally posted by Zmerai Khan View Post

Much smaller Tunney!?!?!?

I know the internet is where people come to be stupid, but you're taking too much liberty.

Tunney was a famed puncher and faced a faded Dempsey. He still opted to box. He certainly passed on going for the kill.

Tunney clowns a prime Marciano, but barely survives against a prime Dempsey.
            Junior put your braces straight your sputtering because I know I didn't hear the word "stupid" come out of your fingers... Tunney was an incredible fighter, he was not a famed puncher. That is way off base, most people don't get Tunney but they don't go that far. Tunney was an incredible boxer because he was a man in two worlds. He was mentored by Corbet who fought in a style that the bare knuckle guys fought in, with different footwork, different skill sets and even different punching techniques.

But Tunney was also able to fight in the modern way that Dempsey was ushering in, where guys squared up, focused on the punches and on generating force with the body in a different fashion than a style of fighting that was based in sword dynamics.

Dempsey was in his twilight but hardly faded. And again how do you know the measure of the man (dempsey) prime and onward? Marciano was the kind of man that comes along very infrequently. He just had such incredible will and the ability to keep attacking, its hard to count him out for sure against any other of the greats.

If you want to see that cloth that Marciano was cut from look at Hank Armstrong. Same situation. But don't get me wrong, heres something about Dempsey:

When Tyson was doing his thing, there were still some men who were alive and had seen and been trainers when Dempsey all the way up to Mike Tyson were in the ring and many of them said the greatest fighter they had seen at heavy was Dempsey. Dempsey was an incredible fighter and puncher.

Be respectful. There are many things to learn about fighters and match ups.

Comment

Tunney could punch. I really don't know if his right was as feared as Liston's shots would later be, seems doubtful all right, but Tunney COULD indeed punch as well as box. He was no light hitting patsy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Tunney could punch. I really don't know if his right was as feared as Liston's shots would later be, seems doubtful all right, but Tunney COULD indeed punch as well as box. He was no light hitting patsy.
                Old Left has a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
                  they both were beasts back in da day. who do you think was better?
                  This is an older thread, excuse my ignorance...

You know what boggles my mind? how anyone can be certain with these two guys. I do think some things stand out though:

At some point we have to look at Marciano's competition and the fact that he never faced a puncher in their prime. Moore and Walcott were both somewhat past their best and Louis...ditto.

But Dempsey also never really faced a guy like Marciano. Tunney definitely had the activity level But comparing Tunney to Marciano is kind of like comparing Ray Robinson to Hank Armstrong and I will leave that alone. You might think Robinson was JUST Better, or you might think Armstrong in his ugly way of getting it done, eclipsed even Robinson, but only a real Moron would say both great fighters were similar.

I just can't grasp at anything, any precedent that tells me who wins this...
                  Last edited by billeau2; 11-14-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                    Fleischer who watched both men many times from ringside stated he felt Dempsey hit harder. He also stated that Dempsey and Marciano can ONLY be compared in terms of their punching power as Dempsey was the far greater fighter. One close look would tell anyone the same thing. Dempsey has all the nuances, speed. It is difficult for me to envision Marciano lasting five rounds under prime Dempsey’s opening rush.

As stated Tunney was a superbly conditioned 190 pound hwt. He was the greatest pure boxer ever to hold the hwt championship. His right hand in his time was as feared a weapon as Listons right hand decades later (as per one of Tunneys trainers who lived into the 1960’s).

My compliments. The use of real eye witnesses to confirm a point of view. A truly beautiful thing to behold.

Comment

• Now......I’m not saying nor do I believe Tunney hit as hard as Liston. I do believe that as time passes and we nearly 100 years later do not have all the thoughts and information that was available to those living at that time. We miss many many details. The message we should take from what Tunneys trainer stated in the 1960’s is that Tunneys right hand was a feared punch. It’s a fair statement. If you look at how Dempsey tried to fight Tunney it makes that statement more credible. Dempsey unlike fight one tried keeping distance trying to both stay away from Tunneys right hand and trying to lure Tunney to attack so as to counter.

Comment

Working...
                      X