Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    i hate to call somebody out, but it's actually the exact opposite

you get better leverage punching down.

that's why pitchers in baseball throw off of a mound
    why you jump if you want to serve hard in tennis

etc.

you lose power punching up
    youre wrong. The mechanics of throwing a punch are much different than a smaller ball traveling downward. You need stabilization and weight behind the shot for it to follow through, and that is diffused if you cant get your hips and legs behind the shot.

Theres a reason why punchers 'dip' into power punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      youre wrong. The mechanics of throwing a punch are much different than a smaller ball traveling downward. You need stabilization and weight behind the shot for it to follow through, and that is diffused if you cant get your hips and legs behind the shot.

they dip to use their legs. Thats the only reason. nothing to do with punch up or down. put an oponent in front of you thats shorter, dip your legs and hit him punching downwards..youll even hit harder.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        they dip to use their legs. Thats the only reason. nothing to do with punch up or down. put an oponent in front of you thats shorter, dip your legs and hit him punching downwards..youll even hit harder.
        your legs(quadriceps in particular) push upwards when you punch, although you can also glue your foot to the ground and use your hamstrings pulling motion to strengthen the punch, which is used often. If youre actually punching downwards, its pretty much impossible to use the full strength of your quads even if you lean to one side, because youre only using your back leg pushing strength. but the optimal, best punching strength comes when both your entire legs can get behind the punch.

The rotation of your hips compliments the push of both your legs and carries the power through, and the hip rotation is most natural when it can swing directly side to side, not one side dipping and the other elevating.

The taller man can get his full body behind a punch on a shorter fighter. But not when they are actually punching downwards.

7:20ish

Hearns isnt punching downwards, despite his much larger(6+inch) height. In fact, he lines his shoulder up a little below Durans head as he is delivering the punch.

Comment

This matchup is a joke. I wouldn't pick Willard to beat Tony Thompson. Wladimir beats Willard with ease.

Comment

i'm sorry bro, but i'm not wrong.

i don't like to boast or even self disclose on the internet
            but i've thrown tens of thousands of punches and i'll keep my own council on how to generate power with them.

you lose power punching up
            and create power punching down

the more important question
            who 1 starred the thread?
            Last edited by New England; 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              i'm sorry bro, but i'm not wrong.

i don't like to boast or even self disclose on the internet
              but i've thrown tens of thousands of punches and i'll keep my own council on how to generate power with them.
              same here and i agree with you. the think the people arguing really haven't boxed before.

you can seriously crack someone much harder if they are lower. common sense even says on the heavybag, my punches that are around my pivot (waist) are much heavier (like the left to the body). When you punch higher up or even head level the force you generate loses some snap as it travels through your core. If you have a long torso I'd imagine even more. to compensate boxers strengthen the core but even that doesn't work 100%.

Comment

excellent, so youll just pretend you provided an argument and ignore body mechanics and the video. and yes, Ive boxed.

btw, when you punch the body you obviously arent punching downward. The reason you generate power so much is because your fist and forearm are level with your waist, making it easier rotate your entire body into the punch.

you lose power punching down AND up. its best to be level and have direct rotation around your hips, because your back and legs can better translate the power into the punch.

Comment

excellent, so youll just pretend you provided an argument and ignore body mechanics and the video. and yes, Ive boxed.

btw, when you punch the body you obviously arent punching downward. The reason you generate power so much is because your fist and forearm are level with your waist, making it easier rotate your entire body into the punch.

you lose power punching down AND up. its best to be level and have direct rotation around your hips, because your back and legs can better translate the power into the punch.
                  if your opponent is shorter than you, you can line your punches up with your hips. At what point in time do you punch downward against an opponent your height??

there is no magical body mechanics thing you are talking about. fact is, legs creates the hip movement, core sustains it the best it can, and its released through the arm and fist.

higher up the longer the force has to travel. As i said before, if you have a very strong core you can sustain it better, as well as having a shorter core (less travel).

You get in the ring, anyone will tell you, hitting a shorter opponent hard is easier than a taller one.

ANYONE will tell you that.

I get this feeling you are trying to twist it and confuse things though to cover up for your error.
                  Last edited by them_apples; 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

if your opponent is shorter than you, you can line your punches up with your hips. At what point in time do you punch downward against an opponent your height??

there is no magical body mechanics thing you are talking about. fact is, legs creates the hip movement, core sustains it the best it can, and its released through the arm and fist.

higher up the longer the force has to travel. As i said before, if you have a very strong core you can sustain it better, as well as having a shorter core (less travel).

You get in the ring, anyone will tell you, hitting a shorter opponent hard is easier than a taller one.

I get this feeling you are trying to twist it and confuse things though to cover up for your error.

some good looking posts, bro.

keep them up.

the bolded part sums it up

you generate the most power punching a target from shoulder level to the level of your elbow when your arm is hanging (usually about the belly button when you're standing straight)

think of it like a strike zone. that's a lot of space, really, belly button to shoulder

very rarely do you see anybody break that rule

i'll get back to this discussion early tomorrow morning if i have time to address it before i gotta leave in the morning
                    Last edited by New England; 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

you literally have no idea how the body works if you believe that. Ive already given you a detailed analysis of how power is transferred through the body, but no, youll just ignore that I suppose, and stick with an unfounded assumption that punching downward automatically creates more power despite the fact that extra strength from the legs and stabilization from the back is not fully utilized. great.

I even provided you with a perfect example of Hearns, who does not punch downward despite his large height advantage and lowers his shoulder level to below Duran's head. but sure, lets ignore it, because you already have an idea in your head that you wont budge from. excellent.

Comment

Working...
                      X