Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bernard Hopkins Greater Than Sandy Saddler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, because Hopkins is on PEDs.

Comment

well that depends on entirely what you're rating those two guys at .

to be honest I'm never impressed by these fighters who fought hardly before when fights were filmed...

It's only fair to look at their records and decide that Saddler has the edge.

Hopkins' Longevity and dominance do something for his legacy, however..

Comment

Originally posted by boxkickboxmma View Post
        Yes but I'm not gonna get indepth because I honestly don't know enough about Saddler. How high is he generally ranked by historians?

I do wanna say that I get the feeling that people seem to underrate Hopkins a bit. The guy truly deserves to be ranked high now with what he has accomlpished. Just to name a few things, he's now the oldest champion ever, he has the middleweight title defense record, all but one of his losses were close/controversial fights, can't say enough about his longetivity and consistency and skill. And perhaps most notable thing, he has a lot of memorable fights where he performed like a true all time great.
        Onlt 6 of his defences were of the Undisputed title. Most of the rest was just the IBF which he failed to unify until later on. Hagler and Monzon made 12 and 14 defences of the Undisputed Title meaning the best are always wanting a shot which makes it a lot more difficult.

Comment

LOL what are you guys getting mad for? Where has the sense of humor gone in here.
          Because that 'joke' wasn't funny the first time it was used. Now you have used it for possibly the 600,000th time it's even less funny.

Comment

Yes but I'm not gonna get indepth because I honestly don't know enough about Saddler. How high is he generally ranked by historians?

I do wanna say that I get the feeling that people seem to underrate Hopkins a bit. The guy truly deserves to be ranked high now with what he has accomlpished. Just to name a few things, he's now the oldest champion ever, he has the middleweight title defense record, all but one of his losses were close/controversial fights, can't say enough about his longetivity and consistency and skill. And perhaps most notable thing, he has a lot of memorable fights where he performed like a true all time great.
            Saddler is generally ranked as low as #25 and as high as about #35.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              When do you consider Mr. Peps prime then, as he was on a 26 fight winning streak (post crash) Before losing to Mr. Saddler.

Yes, that was a typo. Fair enough the division didn't mean a hellish lot but, it's still a championship in a second division. But, he did defend it against future Lightweight champ Lauro Salas and decent fighter Diego Sosa.

I never said it was leaps apart I just said it was "decisive" meaning it's clear. I'm sure I have Hopkins nearly breaking into my Top 50 and Saddler around 35ish on my P4P list.

Also Saddler routinely fought Lightweights weighing in at the Jr. Lightweight limit, which only adds to his resume.

I also agree Hopkins has quite a career with all those defences of his major IBF title(although failing to unify until late hurts him but, he still got a good 6 or so defences of his Undisputed crown.).His Middleweight competition isn't astounding but, his defences are. Winning the LHW Ring belt is an impressive feat considering the straight jump from MW. Then his domination of the Lineal LHW champ is a great win for him as well. Especially as he broke the previous record.
              post ur p4p list please

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Because that 'joke' wasn't funny the first time it was used. Now you have used it for possibly the 600,000th time it's even less funny.
                Did I strike a nerve pal? U mad?

Also, that's the first time I've used that joke, liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Onlt 6 of his defences were of the Undisputed title. Most of the rest was just the IBF which he failed to unify until later on. Hagler and Monzon made 12 and 14 defences of the Undisputed Title meaning the best are always wanting a shot which makes it a lot more difficult.
                  Key point is that Hagler and Monzon didn't have to unify several titles. You had the WBC belt and you were considered the champ. Marvin took 2 belts right away and then had to beat the legendary Wilford Scypion to get the IBF strap. Somewhat the same story for Monzon I believe.

Diffirent times. I guess when you tried to discredit Hopkins there you actually did the opposite. Credits to Hopkins for going through the unification process and succeeding.

Comment

Did I strike a nerve pal? U mad?

Also, that's the first time I've used that joke, liar.
                    No...You didn't.

Where did I say you used it more than once?

Comment

Key point is that Hagler and Monzon didn't have to unify several titles. You had the WBC belt and you were considered the champ. Marvin took 2 belts right away and then had to beat the legendary Wilford Scypion to get the IBF strap. Somewhat the same story for Monzon I believe.

Diffirent times. I guess when you tried to discredit Hopkins there you actually did the opposite. Credits to Hopkins for going through the unification process and succeeding.
                      Ok, so Hopkins gets credit for not unifying and since Hagler and Monzon did they lose credit

Comment

Working...
                      X