Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a more dominant performance as a HUGE underdog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mention of Foreman brings to mind The Rumble In The Jungle as well, although I'm not sure what the odds were I'm sure they weren't in Ali's favour.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Max Schemling was a serious underdog heading into his first fight with Joe Louis....

Comment

There is a cruiserweight named Alexeev who was 50/1 to win a fight a couple of years ago and lost. It wasn't a notable fight, of course, and I've no idea how dominant it was, but it's worth a mention anyway.

I'm sure there are a lot of other fights where a guy no one gave a hope to was able to pull it off because he was fighting an overrated prospect, it's just that they weren't big fights so aren't remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          He was a 3 to 1 underdog with few giving him a chance to beat Frazier.
          I don't think I was alone in thinking that the fight was a couple of years too soon for Foreman and expected Frasier to dominate the division for a fair while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
            Right, but he said "No one gave B-Hop even the slightest chance" and I'm proving that wasn't the case.

yes, sir

the list of writers hammered the point home as well as any. i was actually surprised so many got it right (though almost everybody thought it would be closer if they were picking b hop. i confess didn't read all 2,000 writers on the list ^^ )

Comment

Dempsey Vs. Willard had Dempsey as the underdog, didn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                Dempsey Vs. Willard had Dempsey as the underdog, didn't it?
                A slight underdog, yes.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...8CD85F4D8185F9

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Max Schemling was a serious underdog heading into his first fight with Joe Louis....
                  Schmeling was indeed a huge underdog against Louis;

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ing+odds&hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
                    Schmeling was indeed a huge underdog against Louis;

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ing+odds&hl=en
                    Was anyone a bigger underdog than leon Spinks vs Ali 1? I doubt. many betting agencies even did not bother to put up the odds. yet Spinks did beat Ali...and he did it by a clear margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                      Was anyone a bigger underdog than leon Spinks vs Ali 1? I doubt. many betting agencies even did not bother to put up the odds. yet Spinks did beat Ali...and he did it by a clear margin.
                      From what I remember, only one house put odds on Douglas-Tyson...42-1.

I seriously doubt the odds for Spinks-Ali were that humongous.

Comment

Working...
                      X