Wlad vs the greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RurouniYume View Post
    it used to be about being respectful
    No it didn't. These are the pros not the amatuers. The amatuers are about being a "sportsman", the pros are about winning and always have been.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

The heavyweight division is god awful at the moment, so dominating as he is really isn't as impressive as you would make it seem. The fact is he didn't cut of the ring or work the body against a guy he proclaimed to want to punish and who wouldn't throw more than one punch at a time does NOTHING to suggest he would beat guys far more skilled and with proven heart and determination.
      It doesn't even suggest he could come close to beating his well past-it older brother.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        And Wlad outjabbing Holmes is just idiotic. Not only was Holmes' jab superior to Wlads, Holmes has the longer reach of the two.

Poet
        Learn the difference between arm length and reach. Wlad has longer arms and even if there arms were of equal length Wlad's jab would be longer because he is taller.

Oh and any good heavyweight who likes to fight from the outside would give Ali trouble and make it a close fight
        Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 07-05-2011, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Learn the difference between arm length and reach. Wlad has longer arms and even if there arms were of equal length Wlad's jab would be longer because he is taller.
          Hey Einstein. Learn basic geometry: The difference in height is the same for both fighters it neither adds to nor subtracts from the reach of either. And btw, last time I checked the unit of measurement used in boxing happens to be "reach".

Oh and any good heavyweight who likes to fight from the outside would give Ali trouble and make it a close fight
          Sonny Liston.....and Trojanman gets owned yet again :geek9:
          Earnie Terrell.....and still more ownage for our resident village idiot :geek9:

Poet
          Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 07-05-2011, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Like who, Ernie Terrell? Liston? Williams? Jimmy Young? You really need to stop making close minded statements.

Comment

I like this post from an earlier thread on the subject:

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
              ** I wouldn't put Big Pants Lar in the above category. Guy never outclassed a prime great or truly talented contender save Cooney and many defenses against non top ten fighters.

In a styles/natural attributes match up, his strengths are over matched and he lacks the KO power the others had to put Wlad in trouble.

Wlad is one of the best outside fighters in history. The only outside fighters that could trouble him are Ali with his style, and speed of hand and foot, not the ropadope Ali who'd lose a wide decision, and a post McCall Lewis who's only terrible mistake was the first Rahman fight and maybe the Vitali fight. And of course Vitali would bother him.

Inside fighters would include Dempsey and Tyson. I give Tyson the best chance of all. Louis would have to be included here, but Wlad is not an attacking big man like he was used to dismantling, and I feel the Louis counter punching won't be as big a factor.

Foreman would be interesting, pure slugger in his first go, and boxer/puncher in his 2nd go, he really did a number on the best ever version of Holy and put him in retreat or hanging on for life in that fight. Since he never faced a big man his first go around, hard to know what his wide open style might accomplish against a better boxer/puncher than existed in his era, so I'd probably tip the 41 yr old George over the 24-25 yr old George as far as odds go.

Someone mentioned Bowe. No, he's mentally deficient, scared of Lewis, and fared poorly against Golota, the best big men of his era. He was lucky enough to catch Holy on the decline and was able to use his size over a little guy with all the punch steamed out of him.

I'd also include Primo in the mix. Guy is way underrated and a very aggressive fighter with a good chin always in great shape. Wlad wouldn't be able to muscle him around and he could put some good pressure on which I think is Wlad's greatest weakness. Tony Thompson boxed credibly and had some moments. Primo orthodox, but bigger and stronger than Tony would be in the hunt.

Someone mentioned Liston. On talent, Liston's in the hunt, but mentally, I think he folds against a big guy like Wlad. He was better suited beating up little guys he had obvious advantages on.

Comment

this thread is filled with so much anti white sentiment its not even funny...

You guys make out everyone has to look incredible, ali was shokcing in loads of fights, as for tyson dont get me started....

Fact is he would destroy all heavyweights of all eras apart from vitali and lennox.

Ali got sparked out by cooper, and schooled and robbed by norton.

I could go through a whoe list of bums no where near as good as haye that ali looked like **** against...

Face it, these two ukranian heavyweights,NOT FROM AMERICA are the best ever along with lennox

Comment

Neither fighter worked the body at all last night. Both were so predictable it looked amateurish.
                  what about the Greatest of all time Ali?

Comment

I just finished watching Klitschko vs Haye and I came away thoroughly unimpressed once again. Wlad is rigid, timid and the only thing he has are a jab and a one, two combination. I know I'll hear that Haye ran the whole fight and there is truth to that. But Wlad NEVER worked the body to slow Haye Down so the blame lies squarely on him for looking bad....again.

Against many of the all time greats I sincerely believe he wouldn't be able to get away with this style and be successful. I would pick Lennox, Holy, Bowe, Tyson, Holmes, Ali, Frazier, Liston, Louis, Dempsey and possibly others to beat him.

This is not hate as I believe he deserves to be within the top 20 ATG heavyweights at least, but an honest assessment and opinion.
                    I have a good opinion of Wlad. But he will loose to almost any top 15 ATG greats. I have problems with his attacking variety. And I do thing he has at best an average chin and will be knocked out quite a bit.

Comment

Like who, Ernie Terrell? Liston? Williams? Jimmy Young? You really need to stop making close minded statements.
                      JAB with due respect you are a little off the mark here. The version of Williams Ali faced should not not used a reference. He was literally shot then.

And Jimmy Young did give Ali a lot of trouble. I will only say this, Young won the fight in my eyes that night but didnt win the championship. He did a lot of ghastly things like popping his head out of the ring to avoid punches and so on. But Ali clearly had a lot of trouble with him.
                      Last edited by Greatest1942; 07-05-2011, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X