Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs Cassius Clay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I don't see the left hook landing upstairs to well the straight right actually because ali's ability to see left hooks was great but he turned into right hands the only hook I see landing is if he drops his right all the way for the uppercut like how Frazier knocked him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Toney616 View Post
      Ali never went to the body. He was basically a head hunter and his bread and butter was the left jab and right cross. He pulled back from punches though, like Jones does sometimes. I think Jones would have a lot of success with his leaping left hooks. I can't see how you can avoid them by pulling back.
      Jones's counterpunching would give Ali fits as well. He fients at you, waits for you to react, than lands a shot at the opening you presented by reacting to his feint. In other words he is countering you, without you having to throw a punch.

On the flip side Ali's jab was top rate and he could use it to try and keep Jones on the outside, so he could land his right crosses.Ali has a rock solid chin and solid intangibles so no version of Ali ever gets stop by anybody
      The thing is, though, is that Roy's usual advantage over his opponents in hand and foot speed disappear in this matchup. In many ways the two of them are mirror images of each other.....with one big difference: Ali has proven durability and punch resistance in that weight class while Jones does not. The blueprint for this fight? Ali-Patterson: In Patterson Ali faced an opponent who could match him in hand and foot speed and Ali had his way with him.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        Similar fighters but Ali had more chutzpah and when the talent is the same, that's really where you have to look. Ali wins it on pure balls.
        I couldn't have put it better myself. They couldn't be more similar looking at tangible attributes, it's all about Ali having one of the most indomitable winning spirits in sports history.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          The thing is, though, is that Roy's usual advantage over his opponents in hand and foot speed disappear in this matchup. In many ways the two of them are mirror images of each other.....with one big difference: Ali has proven durability and punch resistance in that weight class while Jones does not. The blueprint for this fight? Ali-Patterson: In Patterson Ali faced an opponent who could match him in hand and foot speed and Ali had his way with him.

Poet
          But not his akwardness which woulda caused problems for Ali I believe

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
            But not his akwardness which woulda caused problems for Ali I believe
            Ali was equally as awkward as Jones.

Poet

Comment

Poet
              If not more.

Comment

Poet
                So then don't you think that would kinda x each other out?

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                  So then don't you think that would kinda x each other out?
                  I believe that was the point I was making.

Poet

Comment

I believe that was the point I was making.

Poet
                    Well I misunderstood

Comment

The thing is, though, is that Roy's usual advantage over his opponents in hand and foot speed disappear in this matchup.

Has Jones ever faced an opponent with better footspeed than himself?
                      In many ways the two of them are mirror images of each other.....with one big difference: Ali has proven durability and punch resistance in that weight class while Jones does not.
                      If noticed that as well. I think Jones Sr used Ali's style as the blueprint for training his fighters.
                      The blueprint for this fight? Ali-Patterson: In Patterson Ali faced an opponent who could match him in hand and foot speed and Ali had his way with him.

Poet
                      I was thinking maybe the Ali-Doug Jones fight could be used as a blueprint

Comment

Working...
                      X