Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the most under rated Light Heavyweight of all time ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmadworld View Post
    Leslie Stewart fragile opponent ?
    should have been a baker not a boxer if that's true.

relied mainly on power to pull off wins against lesser opposition.
    my point everybody at that time were "lesser opposition" Virgil Hill & Charles Williams included.
    today we pick on fighters who avoid other boxers when they are called out call them a lesser fighter for it. Virgil Hill top 20 is what got me started.

bottom line he ko'd everybody at LHW
    Stewart never had the best chin.

Hill, despite not being the most impressive fighter, had longevity at light heavyweight which Moorer did not. Moorer was a heavyweight draining himself to fight at 175, and knew better than to continue fighting at that weight. His stamina suffered as a result, that's why he held back so much.

Who is to say that Hill avoided Moorer? The fight just wasn't there to be made and Moorer wasn't relevant at 175 except for a year or two. I'm sure Hill didn't fancy taking on a puncher like Moorer but had the bout been lucrative enough with the fans calling for it, I'm sure it would have happened. Hill was hardly a ducker, he took on anybody. A Roy Jones was surely a more threatening prospect than a largely untested Moorer who didn't exactly impress against Leslie Stewart (whom Hill dominated) but for his punching ability.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madmadworld View Post
      bottom line he ko'd everybody at LHW
      While Moorer did KO all of his opponents, he didn't KO anyone who mattered. The lightheavies he beat couldn't compete with Chad Dawson or Tavoris Cloud, who are talented fighters but not likely to be ATG's.

And God's honest truth, I always liked Michael Moorer and can't remember ever rooting against him.

Comment

I don't know if he's the most underrated, but if we're talking about guys who didn't stay at LHW long but still did good work there then throw in Floyd Patterson.

The lure of the heavyweight crown likely would've seen him step up anyway, but had he fought under the same weigh-in rules as Moorer he may well have had a title-winning run at 175. As it is, Maxim and Durelle were better than anyone Moorer faced at the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          I don't know if he's the most underrated, but if we're talking about guys who didn't stay at LHW long but still did good work there then throw in Floyd Patterson.

The lure of the heavyweight crown likely would've seen him step up anyway, but had he fought under the same weigh-in rules as Moorer he may well have had a title-winning run at 175. As it is, Maxim and Durelle were better than anyone Moorer faced at the weight.
          True. Patterson would have likely reigned for a very long time had he stayed at 175. The way he dispatched an old but still capable Archie Moore best displays what kind of ability he had. It was only against hard-hitting heavyweights that he ran into problems. Harold Johnson and later Bob Foster would have been his only real competition from the 50's to the 60's, and I imagine Patterson could have taken out either of them, though not without some problems.
          Last edited by TheGreatA; 04-16-2011, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

Who is to say that Hill avoided Moorer?
            don't think that is in question.
            and not getting these fights frustrated him and lost motivation at LHW.
            Steward keep him busy 11title fights in 2 short years.

I'm sure Hill didn't fancy taking on a puncher like Moorer but had the bout been lucrative enough with the fans calling for it, I'm sure it would have happened.
            you got it here
            the risk reward did not work for him and smart move on his part. he had that home town gig in Bismarck, North Dakota, he could fill it and get a network to do his fights.did not need Moorer for the $.
            played it well waited and got Thomas Hearns for more $. if he fought Moorer and got ko'd once or twice.... his after history big difference.

as a fan only these fights below are ones i wish i paid PPV for.that i can think of off the top of my head. we get most match up's we want maybe years too late but they happen.

Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis
            Larry Holmes vs George Foreman could have been interesting
            Virgil Hill vs Michael Moorer
            Charles Williams vs Michael Moorer

Who is to say that Hill avoided Moorer?
            Hill was hardly a ducker, he took on anybody.
            will ask Emanuel Steward when i see him.

hope your fighters win unless their fighting my fav's.

Comment

One who seems to get a tad overlooked at LHW is Greb. He rightly gets his kudos at MW and p4p but at LHW he often gets rated below fighters he beat at their peak. Resume wise it is difficult not to see him top 5 let alone top 10?

Comment

Working...
              X