No announcement yet.

Archie Moore

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archie Moore

I feel that Archie is heavily underrated by some people. He not only toppled an amazing amount of top competition, but also beat highly ranked opponents from Middleweight to Heavyweight...oh yea, not only that but he was beating quality opposition all the way into his 40s!
    Heres a quick assessment of his career:

Ron Richardsx2-Top 5 at MW
    Jack Chasex3-Top 10 at MW
    Lloyd Marshallx2-HOF, top 3 at LHW
    Holman Williams-HOF, top 2 at MW(Moore beat him at LHW)
    Oakland Billy Smithx3-top 10 at LHW
    Jack Chase-top 5 at LHW
    Jimmy Bivinsx4-HOF, rated at HW
    Charley Williamsx2-top 10 at LHW
    Harold Johnsonx4-HOF, top 5 at LHW
    Leonard Morrow-top 3 at LHW
    Clarence Henry-top 5 at HW
    Joey Maximx3-HOF, current LHW champ
    Nino Valdez-#2 best HW
    Bobo Olson-HOF
    ----is at least 40 years old from this point on----
    Yolande Pompey-top 3 at LHW
    Tony Anthony-top 5 at LHW
    Yvon Dirrellx2-top 3 at LHW
    Gulio Rinaldi-top 5 at LHW
    Alejandro Lavorante-top 5 at HW
    and finally going to draw with the future LHW champ Willie Pastrano(at HW) at 45 years old

simply amazing.
    although he had a number of losses, most notably against Ezzard Charles, he beat fighters that ended up beating Charles himself...like Harold Johnson and Jimmy Bivins. also he beat Maxim thrice, and Maxim went on to beat Floyd Patterson.

-overall he has 15 wins over fighters in the HOF, and I might even have missed some.
    -Has 35 victories over notable opposition.
    -Has the most KOs in boxing history.
    -has one of the longest successful careers ever, effectively fighting(and beating) top competiton from the 30s to the 60s.
    -was still beating top competiton despite being over 40.(very rare in boxing history)
    -and another aspect I think people underrate him on....he actually was pretty damn successful as a HW with his wins over Valdez, Lavorante and Henry. rare for someone that beat good opponents at MW.

unbelievable what he accomplished. great guy too. easily top 10 all time.

Good breakdown.

I've been meaning to break down Archie Moore's career more than I have already.

So thanks.

Comment

I've only seen a few of his fights but he looked really good. I was impressed with the highlights of him that Barnburner put up. He impressed me with his toughness when he fought Yvon Durelle in the first fight. Think Moore was knocked down hard at least a few times and came back to win, was a real entertaining fight that was on tsn quite a few years back.
      Last edited by Holtol; 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
        I feel that Archie is heavily underrated by some people. He not only toppled an amazing amount of top competition, but also beat highly ranked opponents from Middleweight to Heavyweight...oh yea, not only that but he was beating quality opposition all the way into his 40s!
        Heres a quick assessment of his career:

Ron Richardsx2-Top 5 at MW
        Jack Chasex3-Top 10 at MW
        Lloyd Marshallx2-HOF, top 3 at LHW
        Holman Williams-HOF, top 2 at MW(Moore beat him at LHW)
        Oakland Billy Smithx3-top 10 at LHW
        Jack Chase-top 5 at LHW
        Jimmy Bivinsx4-HOF, rated at HW
        Charley Williamsx2-top 10 at LHW
        Harold Johnsonx4-HOF, top 5 at LHW
        Leonard Morrow-top 3 at LHW
        Clarence Henry-top 5 at HW
        Joey Maximx3-HOF, current LHW champ
        Nino Valdez-#2 best HW
        Bobo Olson-HOF
        ----is at least 40 years old from this point on----
        Yolande Pompey-top 3 at LHW
        Tony Anthony-top 5 at LHW
        Yvon Dirrellx2-top 3 at LHW
        Gulio Rinaldi-top 5 at LHW
        Alejandro Lavorante-top 5 at HW
        and finally going to draw with the future LHW champ Willie Pastrano(at HW) at 45 years old

simply amazing.
        although he had a number of losses, most notably against Ezzard Charles, he beat fighters that ended up beating Charles himself...like Harold Johnson and Jimmy Bivins. also he beat Maxim thrice, and Maxim went on to beat Floyd Patterson.

-overall he has 15 wins over fighters in the HOF, and I might even have missed some.
        -Has 35 victories over notable opposition.
        -Has the most KOs in boxing history.
        -has one of the longest successful careers ever, effectively fighting(and beating) top competiton from the 30s to the 60s.
        -was still beating top competiton despite being over 40.(very rare in boxing history)
        -and another aspect I think people underrate him on....he actually was pretty damn successful as a HW with his wins over Valdez, Lavorante and Henry. rare for someone that beat good opponents at MW.

unbelievable what he accomplished. great guy too. easily top 10 all time.
        Holy **** mark this day on a calender: Blackirish actually posted something I agree with.

Poet

Comment

Jack Chase is more than HOFworthy, I don't really see anyone underrating him to be honest (well atleast noticeably), I think Charles gets more underrated, probably because Moore was far more popular in his time and sadly Charles wasn't, JMO though.

Great great fighter and nice summary once again too

Comment

Working...
          X