No announcement yet.

Jeff Fenech's ATG status?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
    Nelson said it best after absolutely OWNING Fenech in the rematch...

"Fenech is a boy, I am a man."
    And that quote is the reason why I don't LOVE Azumah, just LIKE him.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
      Nelson said it best after absolutely OWNING Fenech in the rematch...

"Fenech is a boy, I am a man."
      Ding ding ding we have a winner! Absolutely true: After the second fight Nelson was Fenech's DADDY.

Poet

Comment

He didn't say that, he said "this fight was like a father and a son."

Comment

FENECH'S In HALL OF FAME but Not BEST EVER AUSSIE

Originally posted by Steak View Post
          how is he not an ATG on the word scale? He should have a win over Azumah Nelson, making him successful over 4 weight classes. and Azumah Nelson is an ATG fighter himself.

he also has wins over HOF Daniel Zaragoza, IBF champ Shingaki, Coffee, WBC champ Samart Payakaroon(Best in the division), future bantamweight champ Greg Richardson, HOF Carlos Zarate(old), Callejas, future WBC featherweight champ Marcos Villasana, and Mario Martinez.

he was an overwhelming force at his best.
          You don't get into the hall of Fame if you aren't GREAT. FENECH is a legend but the number one ALL TIME GREAT to come from Australia is and always will be, LES DARCY, it's a fact that DARCY is the BEST MIDDLEWEIGHT, BEST Light-HEAVYWEIGHT and HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION in the history of Australian Boxing, he would destroy any Australian in any weight class, his nearest rival would be Dave SANDS. He was the hardest puncher, was THE toughest and most indestructible Aussie ever, a Giant Killer. His record of toughness and imperviousness puts him in the MARCIANO class, he was never knocked down, even heavyweights couldn't slow him (maybe if he'd stopped knocking them out),.. When I was young I once told an old timer in his 90's that Fenech was the best, he just sneered at me and said that he saw Darcy in a couple of big fights as a young A.I.F. soldier and that Darcy was the Greatest Fighter of them all, and he was still an avid fan then back in 1988 of the modern game. I guess that old man was in a better position to judge greats than I. A completely forgotten Aussie was Welterweight and Middleweight TOMMY UREN who fought many great Americans,and had as probably his finest hour when he beat the feared "Oshkosh Terror' Eddie McGoorty one of the All-Time most destructive punchers in Middleweight history, ( there was at least two McGOORTY V UREN fights with the honors shared ), for some reason even Australia has forgotten the man, it wouldn't surprise me if less than 50 australians remember him or one time Middleweight* Champ MICK KING who won it from McGOORTY then EDDIE Won it back in return bout. *NOTE * the belt Darcy, SMITH, KING and McGOORTY belt was the Australian version, this is why Les DARCY's World Title was a legitimate one, far more than an I.B.F. Or W.B.O. or any of today's Alphabet CRAP. . It sucks that Americans think that somehow Al McCoy (the inactive one with probably THE WORST Resume of any Middleweight EVER) was "The REAL Middleweight king, he had something like 4 fights with Clabby and McGOORTY each and came off 2nd best in at least 6 of those fights, He NEVER ever ever met Les, Al McCoy was no dummy, he knew from JC and EMcG that he'd better stay hidden.

Comment

Grove was A bigger man than JEFF

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            I usually don't take what sportswriters say as gospel. And fighters better and tougher than Fenech have been stopped. It's not surprising unless you're dumb enough to believe Fenech was invincible.
            Re- GROVE v FENECH, that fight took place at Lightweight if I remember, An Ex-Undefeated Bantam but washed up fighter loses by KO to natural Lightweight in Prime,.. wow who'd a thunk it. . And another thing, it's just disrespectfull to the memory of CALVIN GROVE to say that how could he beat Fenech, he did and it;s boxing history, is there anyone out there who says Calvin Grove was a B grade bum instead of a WORLD champion of class. Only a fighter has that right, and I think that Jeff Fenech held Calvin in very high esteem indeed I've heard him say so, Now Jeff's one who has Afore-mentioned right.

Comment

A.T.G. Status, what definition

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
              poet682006, spiteful wanker since 2007 - some things never change.

As for the topic question, Jeff Fenech was as tough as nails, exciting fighter to watch and has several solid names on his resume, which have already been mentioned, but I don't recognise Fenech as an All-Time-Great. Fighters like Ali, Robinson, Greb, Louis, Langford etc, they are bonafide, true ATG's. Fenech is ostensibly a good fighter worthy of Hall of Fame status, nothing more, nothing less.

Definitely not an ATG.
              Just what defines All Time Great?, How many A.T.G's is the maximum number ? are there only 10 eligible ? or 25 , 50 a 100 or 200 over 130 years of boxing history? do they have to be at least in the top 15 BEST of DIVISION, does totally dominating 1 or more weight classes for career span do. Can you provide your ultimate definition,.... please. I would also say that anybody rated as a Top 10 fighter from a nation with a long and vast history of excellence as Australia, could only be described as a great. There have been more than 25 Aussies to have claimed some portion of a world title Since YOUNG GRIFFO and PADDY SLAVIN, countless others like Bill Lang who challenged for a world title. All opinions have some validation and anybody who hates a Pro boxer or just say's something overly disrespecfull deserves telling off.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                Re- GROVE v FENECH, that fight took place at Lightweight if I remember, An Ex-Undefeated Bantam but washed up fighter loses by KO to natural Lightweight in Prime,.. wow who'd a thunk it. . And another thing, it's just disrespectfull to the memory of CALVIN GROVE to say that how could he beat Fenech, he did and it;s boxing history, is there anyone out there who says Calvin Grove was a B grade bum instead of a WORLD champion of class. Only a fighter has that right, and I think that Jeff Fenech held Calvin in very high esteem indeed I've heard him say so, Now Jeff's one who has Afore-mentioned right.
                Calvin Grove was a pretty good boxer in his prime. He was just surrounded by far better talent.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Calvin Grove was a pretty good boxer in his prime. He was just surrounded by far better talent.
                  I totally agree about that but I was trying to make a point that because he was prepared to fight just about anyone and was a good boxer so he deserves utmost respect. I don't think he was in a prime Jeff Fenech's class after all Grove was a real Lightweight and Jeff peaked at Feather but Jeff seemed to lose the plot after the "DRAW", he always had a complex after being robbed at the Olympics after all. Cheers mate.

Comment

Working...
                  X