No announcement yet.

Best combination punchers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Tyson, Mosley, Marquez, Arguello, Ali, Robinson....

Combo punching is, to me, one of the most important attribute to greatness. That with speed... Pacquiao's combination punching has never been impressive to me. It looks OK when he is fighting bags like Clottey and Marg but in with Marquez he was not an effective combination puncher...
    I agree to a point on Pac. He has Incredible speed so can just pump out a two fisted assault but i dont think he is a natural combination fighter like JMM, his combinations look effortless and are so varied

**** it Juan Manuel Marquez is THE single best combination puncher ive seen

Comment

Tyson, Mosley, Marquez, Arguello, Ali, Robinson....

Combo punching is, to me, one of the most important attribute to greatness. That with speed... Pacquiao's combination punching has never been impressive to me. It looks OK when he is fighting bags like Clottey and Marg but in with Marquez he was not an effective combination puncher...
      Pacquiao looked like **** against Clottey, but his combinations tore Cotto to ribbons. Cotto wasn't quite at his 2007 form, but he was very game. Pacquiao absolutely blitzed him with combinations. A lot of that was footspeed, but his jab-quarterturn-body-head combos are out of this world. You just don't see human beings get that much snap, speed and power that quickly out of such awful positions.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        Pacquiao looked like **** against Clottey, but his combinations tore Cotto to ribbons. Cotto wasn't quite at his 2007 form, but he was very game. Pacquiao absolutely blitzed him with combinations. A lot of that was footspeed, but his jab-quarterturn-body-head combos are out of this world. You just don't see human beings get that much snap, speed and power that quickly out of such awful positions.
        Look at the gif in your sig... Watch Pacquiao lunge forward awkwardly and throw sloppy punches. "He throws from all weird angles" is a fancy way of saying he has sloppy technique.

Cotto was never a very good fighter. He was much better very early on in his career but even in 2007 he wasn't anything special and in 2009 he was not "very game" in my eyes. He was a one handed puncher with no movement who can't finish and lacks power. Cotto is done and has been done for some time now.

Pacquiao does have great speed but again, watch him with a good fighter like Morales or Marquez... Where is this great combination punching? It isn't really there... The speed is but watch closely, the combo punching isn't there.

And against Clottey Pacquiao was firing off 6 punch combo's....

Comment

Look at the gif in your sig... Watch Pacquiao lunge forward awkwardly and throw sloppy punches. "He throws from all weird angles" is a fancy way of saying he has sloppy technique.
          Let me be the first one to give all the credit to Marquez here.

Cotto was never a very good fighter. He was much better very early on in his career but even in 2007 he wasn't anything special and in 2009 he was not "very game" in my eyes. He was a one handed puncher with no movement who can't finish and lacks power. Cotto is done and has been done for some time now.
          1. I thought he was a magnificent fighter who didn't deal well with pressure (in the ring, not psychological pressure)
          2. He looked really good for the first few rounds, he just gassed himself trying to keep up with a superman like Pacquiao
          3. Cotto's best shot has been his straight right for a while, he uses his hook to the body to set it up
          4. Can't finish? Who did he not put away who he had hurt?
          5. Not home run power, but he did a lot of cumulative damage throughout a fight, especially with his body work.
          6. Maybe as a champion, but he can still be entertaining.

Pacquiao does have great speed but again, watch him with a good fighter like Morales or Marquez... Where is this great combination punching? It isn't really there... The speed is but watch closely, the combo punching isn't there.
          Those fights were before Pacquiao's technique got to where it is. Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just taking Pacquiao's fights against suspect competition too far. But I think he looks amazing, peaking at the Cotto fight with a bit of drop off to the Clottey fight and a big dropoff against Margarito.

Comment

At heavyweight Jack Dempsey has to be mentioned. Man he could really put them together. Along with him Joe Louis and Mike Tyson and probably Evander Holyfield is at the top.

At other weights I'd like to mention Ray Leonard who had the most brilliant combos. So fast and so powerfull. Just as hard in round 15 as they where in round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              Let me be the first one to give all the credit to Marquez here.

1. I thought he was a magnificent fighter who didn't deal well with pressure (in the ring, not psychological pressure)
              2. He looked really good for the first few rounds, he just gassed himself trying to keep up with a superman like Pacquiao
              3. Cotto's best shot has been his straight right for a while, he uses his hook to the body to set it up
              4. Can't finish? Who did he not put away who he had hurt?
              5. Not home run power, but he did a lot of cumulative damage throughout a fight, especially with his body work.
              6. Maybe as a champion, but he can still be entertaining.

Those fights were before Pacquiao's technique got to where it is. Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just taking Pacquiao's fights against suspect competition too far. But I think he looks amazing, peaking at the Cotto fight with a bit of drop off to the Clottey fight and a big dropoff against Margarito.
              Cotto could not even finish off a gimping Yuri Foreman who was fighting on one leg. He also had Pacquiao hurt with a hard body shot, uppercut to the chin, then followed up with a straight left to the face, yet he stopped and couldn't finish him, whereas a better fighter, a guy like Pacquiao, would have capitalized and kept punching, finishing off his opponent.

You and I have two very different opinions of Cotto, so it's probably too much to get into. I do not see any of the things you see. Early Cotto? Yeah, he was crisp, fast, etc.. Post famous Cotto? A bum who doesn't stay in shape when he's out of camp and gets drunk way too much.

Comment

Cotto could not even finish off a gimping Yuri Foreman who was fighting on one leg. He also had Pacquiao hurt with a hard body shot, uppercut to the chin, then followed up with a straight left to the face, yet he stopped and couldn't finish him, whereas a better fighter, a guy like Pacquiao, would have capitalized and kept punching, finishing off his opponent.

You and I have two very different opinions of Cotto, so it's probably too much to get into. I do not see any of the things you see. Early Cotto? Yeah, he was crisp, fast, etc.. Post famous Cotto? A bum who doesn't stay in shape when he's out of camp and gets drunk way too much.
                He did stop Foreman. With a horrific liver shot. And he was on his way to stopping him before the injury. Other than that, not much to argue. You have your opinion, I have mine/

Comment

I'm pretty sure that fight ended with Foreman taking a 10 count.

Comment

Julio Cesar Chavez wasnt the fastest guy around, but had amazing combinations at times. The way he was able to switch around punches from the head to the body was crazy, especially considering they would all land.

Its nuts to see him land 8 flush left hands in a row, ha.

also he came up with unique combos depending on the opponents style, like throwing a jab, right hand to the body and then left hook to the head against Roger Mayweather's type of defense.

I feel like theres a difference between 'combination punchers' and guys who simpy flurry their punches....although both can be effetive.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                      Julio Cesar Chavez wasnt the fastest guy around, but had amazing combinations at times. The way he was able to switch around punches from the head to the body was crazy, especially considering they would all land.

Its nuts to see him land 8 flush left hands in a row, ha.

also he came up with unique combos depending on the opponents style, like throwing a jab, right hand to the body and then left hook to the head against Roger Mayweather's type of defense.

I feel like theres a difference between 'combination punchers' and guys who simpy flurry their punches....although both can be effetive.
                      Definitely a great combo puncher. I can't believe I forgot about him.

Comment

Working...
                      X