Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Dempsey Be Rated Over Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No chance,Dempsey might have a chance h2h but in every other aspect louis is clearly the greater fighter,and i feel you can make a strong case for him being the GOAT at heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      I believe it was 1916.

maybe premature...maybe....but Wills is the big problem with Dempsey. Wills was pretty much the only other notable Heavyweight around at the time, and beat a few of Dempsey's best opponents, like Firpo and Fulton.

I sort of get why Dempsey didnt fight Wills, but the fact of the matter is that Dempsey never fought the only other very good heavyweight of his era.

Willard isnt even that big of a win either, since Willard hadnt fought in 3 years.
      Didn't Dempsey attempt to fight Willis but his promoter stopped it because of Willis being black?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but that's what I've seen claimed multiple times, for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
        Didn't Dempsey attempt to fight Willis but his promoter stopped it because of Willis being black?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but that's what I've seen claimed multiple times, for what it's worth.
        Yes, this is the truth. Langford was premature, and a fight with Wills was never made because "There is not a nickel to be made in having a black champion." Would Wills have beaten Dempsey? I highly doubt it. Right now haters would be rattling off all the reasons that Dempsey destroyed Wills had they fought and Dempsey killed him.

There is a reason we didn't have another black heavy until Joe Louis, and it had nothing to do with the fact that Dempsey was scared. That is totally laughable to believe that Dempsey was afraid of any man or that he ducked anybody. If the fight didn't happen it was because of the racism and politics of boxing at the time.

People who don't know anything about Dempsey are quick to throw out the same tired argument when in reality it has no basis because these are just fights that couldn't happen at the time because they didn't make sense financially and at the end of the day boxing is business and always has been. Perhaps moreso at that time than even today, where fighters at least get what they deserve...

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post

Yes he attempted but the fight fell through, cant remember why but due to promoters or something. He could've been a bit more willing to face Wills IMO when Wills try to stop him from fighting Firpo which was a justified action IMO, Dempsey refused to make the match with Wills after that.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            Yes, this is the truth. Langford was premature, and a fight with Wills was never made because "There is not a nickel to be made in having a black champion." Would Wills have beaten Dempsey? I highly doubt it. Right now haters would be rattling off all the reasons that Dempsey destroyed Wills had they fought and Dempsey killed him.

There is a reason we didn't have another black heavy until Joe Louis, and it had nothing to do with the fact that Dempsey was scared. That is totally laughable to believe that Dempsey was afraid of any man or that he ducked anybody. If the fight didn't happen it was because of the racism and politics of boxing at the time.

People who don't know anything about Dempsey are quick to throw out the same tired argument when in reality it has no basis because these are just fights that couldn't happen at the time because they didn't make sense financially and at the end of the day boxing is business and always has been. Perhaps moreso at that time than even today, where fighters at least get what they deserve...
            “The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.” - Jack Dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
              “The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.” - Jack Dempsey.
              What year did Dempsey make this claim?

Comment

I dont care if there 'wasnt any money to be made'. Wills was the only other good HW of his era, and he didnt fight him. and thats a big negative on his career.

I feel the same way about Jack Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                  the best fighter ever 80+ years ago. He was in a weak era, and his best wins were over Willard, Brennan, Fulton, Firpo and Miske. Gibbons, Carpentier and Levinsky might have been good wins if they werent lightheavyweights, so I only give Dempsey partial credit for them. Gunboat Smith was past his best, dont bother bringing him up.

He didnt fight the best opponents around, since he refused to fight Langford(even he admitted this), Jeanette, McVea(these two were not during his championship reign, to be fair), and most of all Harry Wills, who was the #1 contender for forever while he was champ. His time as a world champ was wasted by him not fighting.

Theres video of his fights, you dont need to have been born while he was fighting to judge him.
                  lol weak era he says.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    What year did Dempsey make this claim?
                    I think he was retired when he said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                      lol weak era he says.
                      you could giggle and laugh about nothing, or you could actually try to make a point.

The division was full of natural light heavyweights or lower, and the reigning world champ hadnt fought in near 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X