Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended reading.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Barnburner;10034091]Has the Harry Greb book improved yet JAB?[/QUOTE]

I've been focusing on the Gans book. Will get back to Greb a little later on.

Comment

[QUOTE=JAB5239;10034105]
      Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Has the Harry Greb book improved yet JAB?[/QUOTE]

I've been focusing on the Gans book. Will get back to Greb a little later on.
      Ok, can you please hit me up when you've finished it. It's quite a bit of money to pay for an average book.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Great to see you my friend!! Check out Barney Ross by Douglas Century and Joe Gans Colleen Ay**** and Mark Scott.You won't be disappointed.
        Cheers, Jab, and thanks for the recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

I just ordered 'In this corner'. Cant wait.
          You'll love it Yogi is right it is probably the best boxing book. I don't think every boxer has a book in them but do think they have a chapter. In This Corner gives them their chapter

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            You'll love it Yogi is right it is probably the best boxing book. I don't think every boxer has a book in them but do think they have a chapter. In This Corner gives them their chapter
            Looks like I'll have to wait a month though. Overseazzzzzzzzz zzzzzhipping........

Comment

Looks like I'll have to wait a month though. Overseazzzzzzzzz zzzzzhipping........
              It will be worth the wait Battles you'll love it.
              Try the Jim McNeil books too if you are hammering your Amazon account, trust me

Comment

It will be worth the wait Battles you'll love it.
                Try the Jim McNeil books too if you are hammering your Amazon account, trust me
                To late my friend. I'm afraid I've finished my order today. I figured I had to buy quite a bit due to the p&p so I ordered some historical books that has my interest as well.

Which books could you recommend?

Comment

Beyond the Ring - greatest book ever written about the sport......Rockin'

Comment

To late my friend. I'm afraid I've finished my order today. I figured I had to buy quite a bit due to the p&p so I ordered some historical books that has my interest as well.

Which books could you recommend?
                    Narrowing Jabs list down a bit i'd go:

· Hands of Stone, The Roberto Duran Story: Christian Guidice

· Muhammad Ali: Thomas Hauser

· Men of Steel: Peter Walsh

· Unforgivable Blackness: Jeffrey Ward

· Rocky Marciano: Everett Skeehan

· Beyond the Ring: Jeffrey Sammons

· In This Corner: Peter Heller

· Dark Trade: Don McCrae

· McIlvanney on Boxing :Hugh McIlvanney

· Ringside: Budd Schulberg

· Raging Bull: Jake Lamotta

· Only In America, The Life and Crimes of Don King: Jack Newfield

· Black Lights: Thomas Hauser

· Lightning Strikes: Gerald Suster

· A Flame of Pure Fire: Roger Kahn

· The Ageless Warrior: Mike Fitzgerald

The 2 McNeil books I mentioned earlier in the thread

Boxing Confidential is an eye opener too.

Not all the books I cut from Jabs lists i've read but a large proportion I have, where there are a couple of biographies i've picked the best one imo.

Oh Four Kings, The Black Murderers row, the Langford and more recent Greb biographies are very good too

Comment

They Could've Been Contenders

That Night in the Garden: Great Fights and Great Moments from Madison Square Gardens

both by Jim McNeill

I seem to be the only person on here who has read these but I have read probably 90% of the books mentioned so far and these measure up amongst the best imo.
                      Go on take a chance i'll give you your damn money back if you don't like them!
                      And no I have no vested interest in the books or author
                      ^^^Oh that's the post you refer to. I'm afraid I missed it.

I cannot seem to find them on amazon though. I damn shame. It's not everyday you get an offer with a full money back guarantee.

Comment

Working...
                      X