No announcement yet.

Boxers who were unfriendly to each other after their fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers who were unfriendly to each other after their fight

Can't come up with the best title on it, oftentimes we do see mutual respect between both boxers, after their fight by going over the other to congratulate or shake hands, whether they had so much hatred in pre-fights (classic examples: Dela Hoya-Mayorga, Lewis-Tyson).

There are big fights when we didnt see any sportsmanship nor friendliness (based on what I saw on the telecast) between the two name fighters even after the bell sounds ending the fight. Here are some:

1. Holyfield and Tyson - its obvious the bad blood between these two, after the first fight, Holyfield didnt went over to Tyson, who was sitting on his stool surrounded by lots of his entourage with many people around the ring, unlike in Tyson victories when Mike would usually went to his opponent and show signs of compassion, perhaps the Tyson people prevented Mike from going to the Real Deal, the emotions, their pride maybe were just so high. no need to explain further their second fight.

2. Whitaker and Chavez - I've watch it over and over, when the bell sounds and the decision announcing the majority draw, not once did the two gladiators fighting for the pound for pound title that time, ever come across again and just stayed on their respective corners.

3. Dela Hoya and Vargas / Trinidad and Vargas - its not Vargas forte to be friendly to those who beat him, in fact, Mosley was kind enough to go over to Vargas, but Oscar and Tito, I tend to believe, will never show any remorse for the beating they gave to Vargas.

the best example for real hatred is Bowe vs Gonzales in '95, I also didn't see David Tua congratulating Lewis in their 2000 fight.
    Last edited by Emon723; 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM.

Vazquez-Marquez III, Leonard-Hagler (on the part of the loser in both cases)

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
      Can't come up with the best title on it, oftentimes we do see mutual respect between both boxers, after their fight by going over the other to congratulate or shake hands, whether they had so much hatred in pre-fights (classic examples: Dela Hoya-Mayorga, Lewis-Tyson).

There are big fights when we didnt see any sportsmanship nor friendliness (based on what I saw on the telecast) between the two name fighters even after the bell sounds ending the fight. Here are some:

1. Holyfield and Tyson - its obvious the bad blood between these two, after the first fight, Holyfield didnt went over to Tyson, who was sitting on his stool surrounded by lots of his entourage with many people around the ring, unlike in Tyson victories when Mike would usually went to his opponent and show signs of compassion, perhaps the Tyson people prevented Mike from going to the Real Deal, the emotions, their pride maybe were just so high. no need to explain further their second fight.

2. Whitaker and Chavez - I've watch it over and over, when the bell sounds and the decision announcing the majority draw, not once did the two gladiators fighting for the pound for pound title that time, ever come across again and just stayed on their respective corners.

3. Dela Hoya and Vargas / Trinidad and Vargas - its not Vargas forte to be friendly to those who beat him, in fact, Mosley was kind enough to go over to Vargas, but Oscar and Tito, I tend to believe, will never show any remorse for the beating they gave to Vargas.

the best example for real hatred is Bowe vs Gonzales in '95, I also didn't see David Tua congratulating Lewis in their 2000 fight.

I will give you the best/worst example right off the bat. James Butler sucker punching Richard Grant after losing a decision.

Comment

Duran after the first Sugar Ray fight.

Comment

I'll always remember Larry Holmes pushing Trevor Berbick after the bell rung. No love lost there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
            Vazquez-Marquez III, Leonard-Hagler (on the part of the loser in both cases)
            Hagler was bitter, but at least they do shake hands, Leonard even kissed him in the cheek.

Comment

After the fight, before it, during, for press conferences (including one punch-on)...hell, I'm surprised either Barrera or Morales didn't climb through one another's windows at nightfall to continue their mutual contempt. A bitter, bitter hatred, stemming in part from their class divide.

Comment

Barrera and Morales straight up hated each other. That went beyond a professional rivalry. As for Vazquez-Marquez - I thought they were friends? But I can see why Marquez didn't go over, he's fiercely competitive. Not saying it's right, but I'm not surprised.

Comment

Marquez was very bitter about the knockdown ruling in round twelve, & I think his lack of time for Vazquez was more attributable to his pre-occupation with Pat Russell's call than it was any disrespect for Vazquez (guessing here, though). It was all he wanted to talk about through the interpreter.

Comment

Morales-Velardez

Comment

Working...
                    X