Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Wow, just wow.

Bowe done after round 1, really ?.

How the hell could you possibly compare an old Briggs to a prime Bowe ?, that is just ridiculous.

An old fat Lewis was dealing with Vitali but a peak Bowe gets made to look like Briggs ?, some people on here.
    I wasn't really comparing Bowe to Briggs, I was more saying that Bowe would swell/cut badly by the end of the fight like most of Vitali's opponents, including Briggs.

Comment

Originally posted by katsidis View Post
      I wasn't really comparing Bowe to Briggs, I was more saying that Bowe would swell/cut badly by the end of the fight like most of Vitali's opponents, including Briggs.
      The difference between Bowe and Vitali's opponents being that Bowe is much more skilled then all of them and Bowe does not cut or swell easily at all, in fact I can't think of a fight where Bowe has been cut, the other difference being that Bowe is an actual live opponent that would come to fight.

One of the main weapons Lewis had against Vitali was his ability to fight out of the clinch, which is also something that Bowe is great at, just as good as Lewis.

Vitali lost to the 2 best boxers he faced neither of them are the time he faced them are better then the Bowe of 91/92, Byrd obviously has him defensively but that's it.

How Vitali can beat him as bad as he beat Briggs is beyond me.

Edit: Rewatching Lewis vs Vitali, Lewis is hitting Vitali plenty with that jab and when Lewis goes at him Vitali is pretty much always off balance, backing up or going in for a clinch and doesn't know what to do.
      Also holding your arms at waist height all the time is not a good way to fight someone with the offensive arsenal of Bowe.
      Last edited by NChristo; 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
        Vitali Klitschko has the most underated defense in the history of boxing. He rarely ever gets hit flush in his face, and admited that he was tagged more times in the 6 rounds with Lennox, than his entire career! Far better head movement than his brother.

Here is how I rank the Superheavyweights at their very best.

1. Lennox
        2. Foreman
        3. Vitali
        4. Wladimir
        5. Bowe
        6. Primo Carnera

Bowe is not as skilled as an Emanuel Steward trained fighter.
        I agree with your list except #3 and #4. You argue that holding Wlad in higher regard than Vitali makes little sense as the Sanders bout shows (you said that in an earlier posting) but you neglect the fact that Wlad has improved ridiculously over the years. In 2005 he was down thrice against Peter only to dominate and knock him out viciously 5 years later (Peter came in at a lower weight than in '05!) after leading 9-0 on the scorecards. I believe that's proof enough that Wlad does not only have the superior resume compared to his brother but has also developed skills capabable of beating anyone in your Super Six Heavyweight Tournament (on a good day obviously. Stylistically a match vs. Lewis is kinda...unfavorable).

In your opening post you state we're supposed to discuss the prime versions (Chambers/Peter version of Wlad) of the respective fighters therefore Sanders/Puritty/Brewster-talk is pointless as you'd have to live behind the moon not to see Wladimir's progress under Steward.

Comment

Originally posted by Faerun View Post
          I agree with your list except #3 and #4. You argue that holding Wlad in higher regard than Vitali makes little sense as the Sanders bout shows (you said that in an earlier posting) but you neglect the fact that Wlad has improved ridiculously over the years. In 2005 he was down thrice against Peter only to dominate and knock him out viciously 5 years later (Peter came in at a lower weight than in '05!) after leading 9-0 on the scorecards. I believe that's proof enough that Wlad does not only have the superior resume compared to his brother but has also developed skills capabable of beating anyone in your Super Six Heavyweight Tournament (on a good day obviously. Stylistically a match vs. Lewis is kinda...unfavorable).

In your opening post you state we're supposed to discuss the prime versions (Chambers/Peter version of Wlad) of the respective fighters therefore Sanders/Puritty/Brewster-talk is pointless as you'd have to live behind the moon not to see Wladimir's progress under Steward.
          5 of Wlads 12 Knockdowns have come under Emanuel Steward. I believe the watered down division is the reason for Wlads "success". He hasnt really fought anyone like prime Brewster during this run.

Sam Peter has been through hell in the 5 year interim between the first fight with Wlad to the most recent one. Peter was down 3 times against Mccline, had 2 wars with James Toney, a war with Maskaev, he lost to Eddie Chambers, and was beaten to a pulp by Vitali.

By the time Peter rematched in 2010 he was soft as cookie dough, and Wlad still couldnt finish him faster than Vitali did in 2008. That along with Vitalis chin is why I rank Vitali higher.

Comment

The difference between Bowe and Vitali's opponents being that Bowe is much more skilled then all of them and Bowe does not cut or swell easily at all, in fact I can't think of a fight where Bowe has been cut, the other difference being that Bowe is an actual live opponent that would come to fight.

One of the main weapons Lewis had against Vitali was his ability to fight out of the clinch, which is also something that Bowe is great at, just as good as Lewis.

Vitali lost to the 2 best boxers he faced neither of them are the time he faced them are better then the Bowe of 91/92, Byrd obviously has him defensively but that's it.

How Vitali can beat him as bad as he beat Briggs is beyond me.

Edit: Rewatching Lewis vs Vitali, Lewis is hitting Vitali plenty with that jab and when Lewis goes at him Vitali is pretty much always off balance, backing up or going in for a clinch and doesn't know what to do.
            Also holding your arms at waist height all the time is not a good way to fight someone with the offensive arsenal of Bowe.
            He was cut (controversially) in the second fight with Holyfield.

I may be recalling this wrong, but I'm sure Bowe was cut in a fight pre-title. Was it Coetzer, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
              He was cut (controversially) in the second fight with Holyfield.

I may be recalling this wrong, but I'm sure Bowe was cut in a fight pre-title. Was it Coetzer, perhaps?
              He was cut in the 2nd Holyfield fight, against Coetzer Bowe had a huge rip down the back of his trunks and his big ass was hanging out

Comment

Bowe had every punch in the book.

Comment

Riddick Bowe vs Vitali - Bowe
                  Foreman vs Lewis - Lewis

On the ropes about Lewis vs Foreman, I feel Lewis could outbox him and stay away from Foreman's big punches, he is a much smarter and better boxer then Moorer who was out doing Foreman until the punch landed.
                  If Foreman lands a big punch though it's over, although I doubt Lewis would allow himself to be hit.
                  1975 version of Foreman not the 1996 version

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    Bowe had every punch in the book.

Boy did he ever. Look at the jab, uppercut and left hook. Bowe was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X