No announcement yet.

if BHop beats Pascal will it elevate him to Greatness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if BHop beats Pascal will it elevate him to Greatness

If Hopkins beats Pascal and becomes the oldest fighter to ever win a world boxing championship will it elevate him to All Time Greatness far beyond his middleweight achievements.

Define greatness.

Comment

I thought Hopkins was already an ATG, do you not think so sonny?

Comment

He has already attained greatness, though as a Middleweight he is sometimes over-rated historically.

A degree of legend already deservingly exists for Hopkins...the trick is to not go too overboard, but certainly, he's already a great fighter, worthy of memory --- & that will stand irrespective of the result of his fight with Pascal, aged forty-five.

Comment

yes he is already an ATG but will becoming the oldest man to win a world title elevate him above what he already has achieved as a great 160lb fighter or is that mantle meaningless to his legacy.

Comment

Yes, it would elevate him. In my mind it would also remove any question of him being the best 40+ y/o boxer ever.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              If Hopkins beats Pascal and becomes the oldest fighter to ever win a world boxing championship will it elevate him to All Time Greatness far beyond his middleweight achievements.
              Yes it would. But I don't expect it to happen. Hopkins has already exceeded expectations in many different ways for a fighter over 40.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                yes he is already an ATG but will becoming the oldest man to win a world title elevate him above what he already has achieved as a great 160lb fighter or is that mantle meaningless to his legacy.
                He would just be shading Foreman for the mantle of oldest linear Champion of all-time should he win, though they would really be tied at 45-each. I'd say that's a hell of a notch to any fighters' belt.

Pascal (like Moorer before him) is not so soft a Champion that Hopkins wouldn't receive a significant boost to his legacy for the right outcome. We'll know soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                  He has already attained greatness, though as a Middleweight he is sometimes over-rated historically.
                  Depends on who you talk to. I her personally have him ranked 6th all-time at Middleweight.....but I've seen a number of posters deny he's even an ATG.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Depends on who you talk to. I her personally have him ranked 6th all-time at Middleweight.....but I've seen a number of posters deny he's even an ATG.

Poet
                    Hopkins does not make my ATG 160lb Top 10

Comment

Working...
                    X