History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I'm not sure.

I don't think he should be considered a threat to Martinez at this point considering he's fought no one at all.

How many times have we seen fighters like look ATG material against that kind of calibur opponent? Time after time.

I agree he looks good, but I'll wait until he steps up in class before I consider him a threat to Martinez.
    I hear u Dan, we have been left disappointed before....Bojado, Lemuiex ect ect

But i dont think its wrong to get excited about him based on his amateur pedigree and the ease he has blown through his comp so far, that power is no illusion. You knew Tyson was gonna be an elite HW before he beat anyone of note, it was obvious. Kind of the same idea here. I feel anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
      I hear u Dan, we have been left disappointed before....Bojado, Lemuiex ect ect

But i dont think its wrong to get excited about him based on his amateur pedigree and the ease he has blown through his comp so far, that power is no illusion. You knew Tyson was gonna be an elite HW before he beat anyone of note, it was obvious. Kind of the same idea here. I feel anyway

people are getting banned left and right in nsb for making threads that match golovkin against ridiculous competition. it's chaos over there after somebody makes some noise.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        people are getting banned left and right in nsb for making threads that match golovkin against ridiculous competition. it's chaos over there after somebody makes some noise.
        Haha, NSB is just nuts! Its too much for me most of the time lol
        Ridiculous comp like who? Not talking Hagler and co are they???

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
          Yet the person with an agenda who started it all off remains unbanned :forgetaboutit9:

They're just banning the posters who are satirizing him :rolleyes9:

Poet

Comment

• [QUOTE=The Surgeon;12477843]Haha, NSB is just nuts! Its too much for me most of the time lol
            Ridiculous comp like who? Not talking Hagler and co are they???[/QUOTE]

they are talking klitschko, mayweather, jesus, etc. it's bedlam. they're all getting banished for it

Comment

• I really liked this post in NSB about Golovkin Vs. Mayweather.

Originally posted by Tmann400
              This thread topic aside, I can't believe how many people are falling for the Golovkin hype already. His best win to date is against Proksa, who has always been an enigma, and he also badly struggled with Hope, even in the rematch which he won by stoppage. Kerry Hope, is the definition of a weak journeyman, who only has 1 KO in 17 fights, and he also got dominated by Caleb Truax, who is ALSO a journeyman.

So, my main point here is, you fellas are overrating him WAY too much at this point, I don't care WHAT he could POTENTIOLLY be, until he fights a full fledged top 10 or top 5 middleweight, we can't possibly know just how good he is. So far, he's steamrolled his opponents who were B, C and D level boxers. People seem to forget also, just how bad he looked and struggled against Ouma. He looked like straight up S.HIT. Ouma used to be a solid fighter, but he's badly shot nowadays.

GGG DID look good against Proksa, but considering we don't know really how good Proksa is given those debacles with Kerry Hope, how much does that win really mean? Hell, even if he fought a decent trial horse like Rubio, I'd be more so of a believer. But, he hasn't. So, until then I'm not going to be gullible and claim him to be the future "P4P no.1 fighter in the world" like some people do. And, yes someone actually DID really say that, which goes to show you just how out of hand this Golovkin hype has gotten.

Doesn't anyone remember what happened to the likes of, for example, Sillakh and Lemieux? Lemieux's record was almost virtually identical to Golovkin's right now, and he was destroying all of his opponents in the same fashion, then he fought Rubio, and got beat down inside 7 rounds. THEN, he fought Alcine, and got outworked and out boxed for 12 rounds and lost a decision. So, if you catch my drift, Lemieux was 25-0, had TONS of hype surrounding him, and where is he now? He's facing back to back defeats, and EVERYONE has forgotten him.

Sillakh (Who I DO feel has very good skills and talent) the same thing happened to. Undefeated, and then he got knocked out by an average (at best) fighter. So, you see what I'm saying? It's easy to look good and knock out your opponents if they're lower tier fighters. It's easy to be a one dimensional, power puncher when the opponents in front of you don't have the skill and talent, defensive skills, or craftiness to make you pay for your mistakes and make you pay for being a one dimensional fighter.

Another fighter, for an example, who was undefeated, he was 34-0 with 30 KO's, and was being hyped as the next "Hearns" and the next great middleweight champion, and THEN he fought Hopkins, and this fighter was put up as a 4-1 favorite over the much more proven, experienced, and multidimensional fighter, albeit he was getting up there in age. Everyone was saying Hopkins, who was a magnificent defensive fighter, who also knew how to control distance and range nicely, and had many tools to work with, was going to be "outworked" and possibly "knocked out". Hopkins, ended up dominating, and destroying this said fighter, every single round for 12 rounds. And left people in shock. This said fighter, lost every bit of hype he had gradually, and now most people just make fun of him, and say he's one dimensional. His name, was Kelly Pavlik.

Sorry for typing such a long post, but I felt like I had a lot to say. And, I feel really strongly about this subject, that's it. Just saying, that before you jump on the bandwagon, and grow attached to a fighter, and put all your eggs in one basket, give it some time and wait until the fighter actually fights someone who can give them a true challenge.

IMO, Golovkin will give us good fights to come in the future, but overall I think he's a bit one dimensional, and when he fights an experienced, good boxer with good technical skills, he'll be thoroughly out boxed. I could be wrong, and I will gladly eat my words if I am, but I don't think I am. I think Golovkin is an average boxer, who's gifted with heavy hands, much like Pavlik, for example. These sort of fighters ALWAYS lack in the overall skill-set department, and when a fighter gives them angles, and has good defense and ring intelligence and good footwork, it FORCES them to leave their comfort zone, and fight a different way, and 9 times out of 10 they're not able to, and they get systematically broken down and out boxed, just like Hopkins did to Pavlik.

I could be wrong, but unless all of the sudden, Golovkin shows he has different gears and can be versatile and truly box, (which by the way he's never shown in ALL of the fights I've seen of him in the amateurs and the pros, and I've seen a lot.) then to me, he'll only go so far, and when he fights someone, like Martinez, or someone with the style of a Ward or Pirog, I think he'll be exposed. By the way, I think Pirog is very skilled and talented, and he also has good power, why doesn't he get the hype and respect like Golovkin does? Maybe because he actually shows true skill and boxing ability?

Seriously, we have a HUGE fight coming up this weekend between a very versatile highly skilled fighter who's cleaned out almost his entire weight class and has done so in back to back fights in Ward, and Dawson, who is a very talented LINEAL champion in the weight division next door. This is a VERY meaningful and important historical kind of fight between two great boxers who are risking EVERYTHING at a very untimely part of their careers, and no one talks about it? Ward's "boring, whine whine whine and blah blah blah". Why? because he doesn't stand and let himself get punched in the face? Or is it because he actually has the SKILL to dominate elite, world class champion level fighters without barely taking a single clean punch?

Virgil Hunter said it best "If you told a fighter you could make him a fighter who would take a lot of punishment and make FOTY kind of fights, or told him that you could make him a great boxer who could dominate fighters and take minimal punishment, that said fighter would want to be the fighter who dominated fighters without taking punishment". That's the straight up truth. Everyone likes watching exciting fights like Gatti-Ward, and Corrales-Castillo, but that doesn't mean you disrespect other fight styles, and disrespect boxers who actually have enough skill and intelligence to dominate a world class fighter for 12 3 minute rounds consistently without taking any noticeable punishment. THAT, demands just as much praise and respect, as a fighter who dishes out a lot of punishment and takes a lot as well.

Do you people HONESTLY believe fighters who take a lot of punishment do it on purpose? Do you seriously believe, that if they had enough skill to not take much punishment, they would still go in and take a ton of punishment? No, of course not. Ludicrous, absolutely, ludicrous. You "boxing fans" really need to broaden your minds and use your brains that god gifted you with and appreciate BOXING, NOT JUST, FIGHTING.

I'm done on the subject, I've said my piece, that's it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                I really liked this post in NSB about Golovkin Vs. Mayweather.
                That's a great post.

I'm not going to jump the gun on a guy who's fought no one, at all.

Anyone can look out of this world fighting that level of competition.

Comment

• Who do y'all got in Ward v Dawson and Pascal v Cloud?

I got cloud abd ward

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
                    Who do y'all got in Ward v Dawson and Pascal v Cloud?

I got cloud abd ward
                    I think Ward will beat Dawson.

Pascal-Cloud I'm not sure because I don't rate either but I think Cloud is probably the worse of the two fighters so I lean on Pascal.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
                      Who do y'all got in Ward v Dawson and Pascal v Cloud?

I got cloud abd ward
                      Ward by a mauling decision (I hope I'm wrong). Pascal by decision if the fight is in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                      X