History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that was one of the year's best fights

LAMONT EFFIN PETERSON, baby!

i thought lamont had the edge (considering the deductions, which, as bogus as they might have been, must be counted,) in a very close fight.

khan's got some serious flaws

he fights in spots like a pro
    and behaves like a pro in terms of his fortitude.
    but he boxes like an amateur

he lands a punch and runs half way across the ring. way too many steps
    not professional. he's talented, but he's not this great boxer he's made out to be. he uses his physical tools and boxes with them like an amateur.
    he's going to have even more trouble at WW, when guys are too tall and strong for him to pull down // lean on and also too strong for him to tie up both hands

with the right ref and the right opponent khan's physical tools can make him look spectacular, but a professional like lamont will always give him problems. what's khan going to do against tim bradley, who literally does everything better than lamont?

and on to peterson :
    that's what it's all about, boys. in front of 9000 in his hometown (which, for you guys not in the states, is a HUGE crowd over here.)

those body shots won him the fight. i'm re-watching it now

how great was that? that's one of the best wins of the year. it's certainly up there with the rest of the year's great upsets

ishida - kirkland
    brewer - guerrero
    rubio - lemieux
    salido - juanma

and the real king which doesnt qualify on technicalities
    marquez - pacquiao

edit :
    seth mitchell has a ton to work on obviously but he's as talented as anybody in the division not named klitschko
    he pushes his right hand a bit and looks like he's forcing it. with his size it might not ever be a thing of beauty, but it's still going to become more effective as he learns to use it. his left hook however looks like a natural punch and is very hard
    to the body and the head. and he's got the footspeed and athletic ability to get inside and land that stuff too, unlike most of the HW out there.

its nice to see a HW throwing combinations. let's see him take a couple more steps up over 2012 and perhaps give him a shot at a klitschko in 2013 if they are still fighting.

if not i can already see mitchell and arreola being the FOTY for the four or five rounds it lasts.
    Last edited by New England; 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      that was one of the year's best fights

LAMONT EFFIN PETERSON, baby!

i thought lamont had the edge (considering the deductions, which, as bogus as they might have been, must be counted,) in a very close fight.

khan's got some serious flaws

he fights in spots like a pro
      and behaves like a pro in terms of his fortitude.
      but he boxes like an amateur

he lands a punch and runs half way across the ring. way too many steps
      not professional. he's talented, but he's not this great boxer he's made out to be. he uses his physical tools and boxes with them like an amateur.
      he's going to have even more trouble at WW, when guys are too tall and strong for him to pull down // lean on and also too strong for him to tie up both hands

with the right ref and the right opponent khan's physical tools can make him look spectacular, but a professional like lamont will always give him problems. what's khan going to do against tim bradley, who literally does everything better than lamont?

and on to peterson :
      that's what it's all about, boys. in front of 9000 in his hometown (which, for you guys not in the states, is a HUGE crowd over here.)

those body shots won him the fight. i'm watching it now

how great was that? that's one of the best wins of the year. it's certainly up there with the rest of the year's great upsets

ishida - kirkland
      brewer - guerrero
      rubio - lemieux
      salido - juanma

and the real king which doesnt qualify on technicalities
      marquez - pacquiao

edit :
      seth mitchell has a ton to work on obviously but he's as talented as anybody in the division not named klitschko
      he pushes his right hand a bit and looks like he's forcing it. with his size it might not ever be a thing of beauty, but it's still going to become more effective as he learns to use it. his left hook however looks like a natural punch and is very hard
      to the body and the head. and he's got the footspeed and athletic ability to get inside and land that stuff too, unlike most of the HW out there.

its nice to see a HW throwing combinations. let's see him take a couple more steps up over 2012 and perhaps give him a shot at a klitschko in 2013 if they are still fighting.

if not i can already see mitchell and arreola being the FOTY for the four or five rounds it lasts.
      U think the deductions were bogus bud? Alot of people seem to be thinking this way but i thought it was fair and square and while i had it a draw i can understand a Peterson win fully and couldnt be happier for him! Proper pro fighter, hard work and dedication.... Was a real feel good fight but i felt Khan kind of spoiled the mood with his comments.

On this showing im changing my pick on Amir vs Bradley, Tim does him!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        U think the deductions were bogus bud? Alot of people seem to be thinking this way but i thought it was fair and square and while i had it a draw i can understand a Peterson win fully and couldnt be happier for him! Proper pro fighter, hard work and dedication.... Was a real feel good fight but i felt Khan kind of spoiled the mood with his comments.

On this showing im changing my pick on Amir vs Bradley, Tim does him!

while the khan tactics weren't necessarily legal by the book i didn't think he was deserving of the duductions. certainly not two of them

i think that ref was trying to find a way to help lamont
        and of course put his imprint on the fight (LETS THROW SOME THUNDAH!)

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
          Eh. This Seth Mitchell guy looks fairly promising. I look forward to seeing him again.

With the deductions I had it 113-112 Peterson. I don't really mind too much because Khan is one ****y mother****er and got the reality check he needs, that he isn't the well loved "King". I also tend to appreciate and analyze body shots twice as much as a normal guy and Lamont was doin work downstairs.

Anybody know what's up with the cancellation of the Cloud fight? I really wanted to see him fight.

My personal thought on Khan is that he is an annoying little biitch and an overconfident loudmouth PoS. But I try to be subjective.
          Cloud's opponent broke his hand and Showtime cancelled the entire card.

Comment

while the khan tactics weren't necessarily legal by the book i didn't think he was deserving of the duductions. certainly not two of them

i think that ref was trying to find a way to help lamont
            and of course put his imprint on the fight (LETS THROW SOME THUNDAH!)
            Is that what he shouted at the start of the fight!? Me and the missus just looked at each other as if to say "What the ****!?" when the ref shouted something as they were to touch gloves...

Well u know i respect ur opinion bro but im gonna have to disagree with u on those deductions. They arent serious fouls that would injury a guy or anything but when u continuously ignore the warnings (he had A LOT) u are asking the ref to deduct you, And once he had taken one point he had obviously made the stand that he wasnt putting up with those tactics but Khan kept doing it and thus he had to take another point, i actually think he was reluctant to take the second point knowing what a close fight it was and that that deductions could change the outcome and bring him heat...

Bottom Line - Great Fight and a worthy winner. Boxing Wins

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Cloud's opponent broke his hand and Showtime cancelled the entire card.
              Thanks much Scott.

Why not just find a replacement? Gosh, why do all the guys with power and suits in boxing have to be such morons!?

Peterson earned a die hard fan in the post fight interview. He was beyond humble and classy. He even said that the pushing didnt really bother him (im paraphrasing, dont slit my throat guys) so i liked that.

Seth Mitchell had a classy interview too, i think that he might be the next big dog in the HW divison. Because we can teach him technique and tighter defense, but power like that cannot be taught.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                Is that what he shouted at the start of the fight!? Me and the missus just looked at each other as if to say "What the ****!?" when the ref shouted something as they were to touch gloves...

Well u know i respect ur opinion bro but im gonna have to disagree with u on those deductions. They arent serious fouls that would injury a guy or anything but when u continuously ignore the warnings (he had A LOT) u are asking the ref to deduct you, And once he had taken one point he had obviously made the stand that he wasnt putting up with those tactics but Khan kept doing it and thus he had to take another point, i actually think he was reluctant to take the second point knowing what a close fight it was and that that deductions could change the outcome and bring him heat...

Bottom Line - Great Fight and a worthy winner. Boxing Wins

lol well i gotta say i'm not sure what the ref said verbatum

but he certainly screamed some absurdities and i think they involved "throwing some thunder," but i have no idea

top to bottom it was just a strange event.

boxing is the only sport where the refs crave the spotlight and try to make an imprint on the fight for that reason. i had a feeling we were in for some fun when the guy started yelling into the mic that buffer was holding for him

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
                  Thanks much Scott.

Why not just find a replacement? Gosh, why do all the guys with power and suits in boxing have to be such morons!?
                  They offered Campillo as a replacement for Erdei, but even though Campillo is more of a TV friendly fighter than Erdei, Showtime declined. It seems like Showtime had wanted four unbeaten fighters on that show and now it couldn't happen anymore.
                  Last edited by Scott9945; 12-11-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

lol well i gotta say i'm not sure what the ref said verbatum

but he certainly screamed some absurdities and i think they involved "throwing some thunder," but i have no idea

top to bottom it was just a strange event.

boxing is the only sport where the refs crave the spotlight and try to make an imprint on the fight for that reason. i had a feeling we were in for some fun when the guy started yelling into the mic that buffer was holding for him
                    God ur right he DID say/Roar "LETS THROW SUM THUNDAAA!"

Comment

Not necessarily. Baseball umpires do the same thing when they pointlessly eject players for chirping on their way back to the dugout. It's ****** and offensive as a fan.

I officiate for kids around town (best job you could possibly have if you want some quick cash btw) and anyone who tries to make it about themselves is doing it wrong. Nobody comes to watch the ref/umpire/anybody but the players/fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X