No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    I actually thought that was the best Lee I've seen in a while. He used his height and reach to his advantage and his defense was tight for once. I really liked the way he used his uppercuts and jab. Still don't think he's near ready for Martinez though.
    Yeah thats how i see it, he was fluid, has learned some and fought a confident but disciplined fight, i enjoyed it. NEVER gonna be a world beater tho

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      at the time of the stoppage i didn't think barker had a chance to win on the cards. i wasn't really keeping a card, but i did think he won a few rounds, though.
      he was doing everything right outside of letting his hands go.

he was covering up very well but i saw some of the stuff sergio was throwing getting through, especially the left hand to the chest/body
      Just rewatched and had Martinez 2 points up at the time of stoppage bud, my bad. Some close rounds imo

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        Vera sucks but boy he is some kinda TOUGH!

oh my god can he take a punch!

he was getting hit with three and four punch combinations by the end
        every one on was right on his the mouth, too. lee could not miss. never went to the body either.

his face didn't even get that bad!
        one tough hombre

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          Just rewatched and had Martinez 2 points up at the time of stoppage bud, my bad. Some close rounds imo

2 points sounds pretty spot on. almost all of the rounds were close in the beginning and middle of the fight.

for me to say the fight was one sided is misrepresenting barkers involvement
          the guy fought the perfect fight

i actually think he'd take lee pretty easy

faster hands and feet and a real sound defensive mindset

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            A top P4P fighter losing rounds to a fighter on Darren Barkers level is simply unacceptable.

I like Darren. Followed his whole career an I was rooting for him even though I knew he would lose.

But, I was shocked at how well he did or more over how average Martinez was at times.

I mean, Mayweather would have no issues with Sergio Martinez.

He needs to sign for that fight asap.

i agree, dan

me and grampa bernard had some PM's last week (and i think i put it up in the NSB somewhere) where we talked about how we though floyd would walk sergio down

he doesn't take punches well
            punches might not really break him down but they effect him and they score

his face gets a bit busted up and he clearly doesn't like it.

i'd pick floyd to beat sergio right now by probably a larger margin than before the barker fight

if you can smother the left hand you don't have much to worry about (that right hook is not going to effect mayweather either)

man, if he takes the MW championship from a very solid champion in sergio (fighter of the year and knockout of the year might lose a bit of its luster after the barker fight, but he's still sergio martinez) he'll have his signature win.

darren barker looked like a bargain winky wright
            Last edited by New England; 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FenechJeff
              If barker can get a win over a top spook fighter from the states he will be right back on HBO and in the title hunt.

spook?

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                spook?

Apparently racisim doesn't get you banned from this site (not just the history forum), even when it is reported.

Comment

• Sergio Martinez

Am I the only one who thinks Martinez is over rated? I mean he's a good fighter and all, but I just don't get all the hoopla. He has some decent wins, but he's sloppy. I've thought this since the Pavlik fight. Im not trying to take away from Sergio's win because he earned it legitimately. But after Pavlik got use to his speed he was timing him and winning the middle round till getting cut and losing focus. Maybe its just me, but I think a good fighter who throws straight punches. With his hands always so low and the way he's fallen in love with his power I think it's only a matter of time. Barker had no business being in that fight as long as he was. If Martinez (another thing I noticed) had worked the body more he would have had him out of there much earlier, but he's a head hunter now. He's got talent, but his lack of fundamentals will be his undoing. He's good, but he's not a Willie Pep or a Roy Jones. Am I wrong about him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Apparently racisim doesn't get you banned from this site (not just the history forum), even when it is reported.

It's becoming alarmingly frequent on this site. If it's any comfort though this clown will never post freely in this section. It may take a bit sometimes, but EVERYTHING he posts will be deleted.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      Am I the only one who thinks Martinez is over rated? I mean he's a good fighter and all, but I just don't get all the hoopla. He has some decent wins, but he's sloppy. I've thought this since the Pavlik fight. Im not trying to take away from Sergio's win because he earned it legitimately. But after Pavlik got use to his speed he was timing him and winning the middle round till getting cut and losing focus. Maybe its just me, but I think a good fighter who throws straight punches. With his hands always so low and the way he's fallen in love with his power I think it's only a matter of time. Barker had no business being in that fight as long as he was. If Martinez (another thing I noticed) had worked the body more he would have had him out of there much earlier, but he's a head hunter now. He's got talent, but his lack of fundamentals will be his undoing. He's good, but he's not a Willie Pep or a Roy Jones. Am I wrong about him?

i think that you've made a very fair assessment

i will say that in his last two fights, when he looked like his opponent had figured him out and was going to be able to make it to the final bell, he was able to make adjustments and stop him.

neither guy was a good match in my eyes (ie they aren't easy guys to look good against) and he was still able to pull out a stoppage, and in the dzinziruk case he did look pretty spectacular doing it.

manny stewards words again "he's a very strange man."

he doesn't seem like he's "naturally tough" but he's still a winner, if that makes any sense
                      i think that he will sack up if the going gets tough

but yes, i agree, especially after rewatching the barker fight, the right kind of boxer will expose him and probably rough him up.
                      dzinziruk did some nice work with his straight punches and his jab as well (he just couldn't get out of the way of the left hand given his lack of length)

Comment

Working...
                      X