No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berto vs Ortiz

Any thoughts on this? I think Berto's rep will take a hit if he makes this fight. But on the other hand, it's not like he has a lot of good options at 147. I know Cintron is doing his usual complaining but he hasn't exactly done anything lately either. But I would rather see that fight than one with Ortiz. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Any thoughts on this? I think Berto's rep will take a hit if he makes this fight. But on the other hand, it's not like he has a lot of good options at 147. I know Cintron is doing his usual complaining but he hasn't exactly done anything lately either. But I would rather see that fight than one with Ortiz. Just my opinion.
      Berto is not the real deal. He has not taken a single challenging opponent despite spending a long time (5 years?) at welterweight. He had been bad mouthing Shane Mosley on Twitter constantly when Berto was campaigning for a Pacquiao fight (which I don't believe he really wanted), which I found quite odd seeing as how he refuses to fight anybody remotely good, he even opted out of fighting Mosley, and then upon returning from Haiti decided to fight the likes of Freddy Hernandez instead of fighting Shane Mosley, which would have been a much bigger money fight than Hernandez.

Berto is a phony waiting to be exposed, IMO, and Kermit Cintron, to me, is superior to him in every way. I am not a fan of Cintron, but I think he has no problem knocking Berto out.

Berto fighting Ortiz.... Who would even watch that? Ortiz has shown himself to be a gutless man who doesn't care enough about winning. Watching him get hit by Berto until he refuses to get off his stool or quits mid round is not something I would take the time to watch.

Comment

Im gonna disagree with CarolsG and say i think Berto has real talent, u cant teach that type of speed. He can punch a bit too. But i dislike the guy now, his cherry picking, his blatant ducking of Cintron and his public slagging of a legend like Mosley have done him no favours.

Ortiz is damaged goods which is a shame because he can fight. He needs a confidence booster and then Maidana. It might ruin his career but if he dosnt exercise the ghosts from his first scrap with Maidana then his career wont amount to much anyway! He needs his mojo back!

Dumb move for him IMO and not much better from Berto but i think its a good fight for a few rounds before Andre just starts taking over and stops him.

I rate Berto on in the ring ability, and i think its sad to see him biitch out on a Cintron fight but i can actually see Kermit Knocking him cold so perhaps its the smart move.....

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          Im gonna disagree with CarolsG and say i think Berto has real talent, u cant teach that type of speed. He can punch a bit too. But i dislike the guy now, his cherry picking, his blatant ducking of Cintron and his public slagging of a legend like Mosley have done him no favours.
          Ortiz is damaged goods which is a shame because he can fight. He needs a confidence booster and then Maidana. It might ruin his career but if he dosnt exercise the ghosts from his first scrap with Maidana then his career wont amount to much anyway! He needs his mojo back!

Dumb move for him IMO and not much better from Berto but i think its a good fight for a few rounds before Andre just starts taking over and stops him.

I rate Berto on in the ring ability, and i think its sad to see him biitch out on a Cintron fight but i can actually see Kermit Knocking him cold so perhaps its the smart move.....

I agree and I don't know what they're waiting for unless they know something that's keeping him away from certain fighters.

Comment

I agree and I don't know what they're waiting for unless they know something that's keeping him away from certain fighters.
            I know right, he would seem to be in his prime and fighting the guys he has been fighting wont bring him on any. Mabey the Collazo fight made them doubt him but a fight like that at that stage in a fighters career will actually toughen him up and make him a better fighter with experiance.

Comment

• Floyds case for greatness

First off let me say i openly dislike Mayweather.

Floyd Mayweather has more talent than most of the boxers around today combined tho and i wanna see the Pac man clash as much as the next guy but theres only one winner there in my eyes and thats Floyd Mayweather! This guy started his career off fighting good fighters and taking risks as he has grown tho he has fought infrequently and against opposition that can be called less than satisfactory. Why hasnt a Pac fight happend (rhetorical question!) and why didnt bouts with Tszyu, Margarito and Cotto come off? He hasnt engaged with the best at their best late in his career and with Pacquaio lighting the world up its hurting Floyds legacy bad. He will make the Hall and he is the most skilled fighter on the planet BUT he has disapointed badly and if he had fought the right fights and enough of them i feel he could have been one of the TRUE TRUE GREATS and its sad that he hasnt had that thirst for immortality. He is still operating at or very near his prime tho so he could still do something special but if he never fights again or continues to but against guys like Spadafora who i hear he is rumoured to face next (just rumoured) then what a waste. Thoughts on Floyd Mayweather and his place in history?

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Fighter of the year - Sergio Martinez

Fight of the year - Hopkins-Pascal

I know there were better fights than Hop-Psc, but I would bet it wins fight FOY.
                There has been a lot of debate on this thread about who should be the FOTY. Ring magazine's FOTY, which is out now, is Sergio Martinez. The Fight of The Year was Segura-Calderon. Hopkins-Pascal didn't even get an honorable mention. Hopkins won Comeback FOTY. I'm glad Segura-Calderon won because, IMO, it was the most exciting fight of 2010 with 2 great 108 pound fighters. Round of the year was round one of the Juanma-Bernabe Concepcion fight, and the KO of the year went to Martinez's one punch demolition of Paul Williams. Upset of the Year went to Jason Litzau's victory over Celsetino Caballero. I believe all the results were pretty much on the mark and I agree with all of them.

Comment

• Thoughts on last nights fight?

Comment

• Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                    Thoughts on last nights fight?
                    Disapointing ending with Alexander playing on his cut. Bradley deserved the decision.
                    The cut caused Alexander not to trade which resulted in a boring fight. I hope Khan - Bradley gets made before a rematch though.

Comment

• Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                      Thoughts on last nights fight?
                      Holt looked good even if it was against a Bum and he could cause a guy like Amir Khan serious problems. Those two HW's forgot their names, was decent good KO. And sky never showed anything else of the undercard

Main event was a bit of a let down, i thought Bradley did his thing but Alexander didnt engage as much as id hoped and he flat out quit imo, he gave that doctor no choice but to stop it and even before that the distress signals were there. I never scored it but felt Bradley was the boss in there the stronger fighter and the one guy who brought it and pushed his man back, worthy winner. On the butts, i dont think Tim is a dirty fighter but he certainly dont try to alter what he does and mabey he shouldnt, last night i felt the clashes were 50/50

Comment

Working...
                      X