No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
    As I said, had Pacquiao done exactly the same thing this year as he did, but had previously struggled or lost to any combination of De La Hoya, Hatton & Cotto, people would be saying how great his work was in 2010.

I'm not going to punish him for being so good (those were a pair of excellent victories, I don't care what anybody has to say. Show me another guy going through the divisions like this who could do it), & I'm not going to say Martinez isn't deserving of FOTY. I'm simply saying to call it a foregone conclusion that Martinez is the choice, period, is putting too much emphasis on a fighter having a breakthrough year.

That's really what this was for Martinez --- a breakthrough year. The fact Pacquiao has already broken through & continues to brutalise rivals he frankly should have no business fighting (were it not for the fact he is the freak he is) does not diminish his results to me.
    They are excellent wins. However, they were not unexpected wins. It's got nothing to do with punishing someone for being good. If that were the case then why not just give the pound for pound number 1 guy the FOTY award every single year for beating who he does just because he's the best fighter? That's really all you're saying. We should give it to Pac just because he's the best fighter, not because he's beating the best opposition nor because he's taking risky fights for him. Like it or not, if someone else had beaten Clottey and Margarito by decision people would have applauded it as good but no more. Obviously if neither had lost their last fights, then it would be different, but both had lost their last fights before Pac, Marg by brutal KO.

Why did Mayweather not get it every year he moved up and beat some guys? Because no matter what division you are in, where you are at or how good you are, when you are expected to win a fight, when you are the favourite, when you win a fight that everyone knew you were going to win and are the huge favourite in, you are one; not taking risks and not fighting the best opposition.

FOTY is all about the guy who had an outstanding year by doing things he wasn't expected and winning fights that he wasn't meant to win. The Williams win alone is the biggest win and beats both Margarito and Clottey like it or not. Martinez had been beaten narrowly in a fight of the year and had added another champion level top fighter to Williams growing list of great fighters beaten recently. He was at the very, very top of his game and the top of the fighters in and around 154/160 and had just beaten what was considered the best fighter there over the last couple of years.

Knocking him out for the KOTY was as shocking and unexpected as the Hatton win for Pac (though it would have been more equal if Hatton hadn't been knocked out recently and looked terrible in his last fight), even though Hatton had recently been knocked out and was the underdog in that fight whereas Martinez was the underdog this time.

What Pac had done previously matters not to this award. That's for the FOTD. That takes into account where you came from, what's happened in previous years etc etc. This award is for who had the best, most unexpected, most shocking/whatever wins for this year alone. Pac was rated at number 1 at 147 (forget Mayweather for the moment). He had some good wins this year over decent guys that he was meant to beat. This is a real important thing here. He was meant to beat them. Martinez wasn't. The Pavlik win was good, very good but if he had two Pavlik wins I would consider them about the same as wins over Margarito and Clottey though somewhat better. However, in the same period that Margarito beat Cotto, then got knocked out by Mosley, then got caught cheating and somehow jumped directly to number 1 at 154 and Clottey had beaten Jose Luiz Cruz, Zab Judah and lost to Cotto, Williams had beaten Quintana by KO in one round in a rematch of his only loss, then in order beaten Verno Phillips, Winky Wright, Sexy Serge, and Kermit Cintron. For Martinez to not only win the middleweight championship, but to knock out Williams was genuinely incredible.

Pac won Fighter of the Decade for coming up from Flyweight and getting a 147 title. However, this is Fighter of the Year and only this year.

Well guys, forget it. Just found out Pac is officially the FOTY for 2010.
    Last edited by BennyST; 01-09-2011, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      They are excellent wins. However, they were not unexpected wins. It's got nothing to do with punishing someone for being good. If that were the case then why not just give the pound for pound number 1 guy the FOTY award every single year for beating who he does just because he's the best fighter? That's really all you're saying. We should give it to Pac just because he's the best fighter, not because he's beating the best opposition nor because he's taking risky fights for him. Like it or not, if someone else had beaten Clottey and Margarito by decision people would have applauded it as good but no more. Obviously if neither had lost their last fights, then it would be different, but both had lost their last fights before Pac, Marg by brutal KO.

Why did Mayweather not get it every year he moved up and beat some guys? Because no matter what division you are in, where you are at or how good you are, when you are expected to win a fight, when you are the favourite, when you win a fight that everyone knew you were going to win and are the huge favourite in, you are one; not taking risks and not fighting the best opposition.

FOTY is all about the guy who had an outstanding year by doing things he wasn't expected and winning fights that he wasn't meant to win. The Williams win alone is the biggest win and beats both Margarito and Clottey like it or not. Martinez had been beaten narrowly in a fight of the year and had added another champion level top fighter to Williams growing list of great fighters beaten recently. He was at the very, very top of his game and the top of the fighters in and around 154/160 and had just beaten what was considered the best fighter there over the last couple of years.

Knocking him out for the KOTY was as shocking and unexpected as the Hatton win for Pac (though it would have been more equal if Hatton hadn't been knocked out recently and looked terrible in his last fight), even though Hatton had recently been knocked out and was the underdog in that fight whereas Martinez was the underdog this time.

What Pac had done previously matters not to this award. That's for the FOTD. That takes into account where you came from, what's happened in previous years etc etc. This award is for who had the best, most unexpected, most shocking/whatever wins for this year alone. Pac was rated at number 1 at 147 (forget Mayweather for the moment). He had some good wins this year over decent guys that he was meant to beat. This is a real important thing here. He was meant to beat them. Martinez wasn't. The Pavlik win was good, very good but if he had two Pavlik wins I would consider them about the same as wins over Margarito and Clottey though somewhat better. However, in the same period that Margarito beat Cotto, then got knocked out by Mosley, then got caught cheating and somehow jumped directly to number 1 at 154 and Clottey had beaten Jose Luiz Cruz, Zab Judah and lost to Cotto, Williams had beaten Quintana by KO in one round in a rematch of his only loss, then in order beaten Verno Phillips, Winky Wright, Sexy Serge, and Kermit Cintron. For Martinez to not only win the middleweight championship, but to knock out Williams was genuinely incredible.

Pac won Fighter of the Decade for coming up from Flyweight and getting a 147 title. However, this is Fighter of the Year and only this year.

Well guys, forget it. Just found out Pac is officially the FOTY for 2010.
      Margarito was not coming into the fight off a loss like you claim and Clottey was coming into the fight after losing a split-decision to Cotto with many feeling he had been robbed.... Martinez vs Williams (2) was a fight that Martinez was the 10/11 favorite to win... Pacquiao is now so superior to every other fighter from 135-160lbs that he would be the huge betting favorite over any fighter within that weight range and that includes Martinez & Williams.. it is clear from recent news bulletins that Martinez victory over Pavlik is tarnished due to Pavliks alcoholism which leaves us with Martinez KO of Williams which will no doubt be voted as KO of the Year, but to say that KO of Williams entitles Martinez to be voted Fighter of the Year is simply ridiculous considering Manny Pacquiao's achievements for 2010 because like-it-or-not his beating of Antonio Margarito was his greatest career performance and you also have to remember that Margarito destroyed Martinez previously so was a worthy opponent to be fighting for Martinez vacated 154lb championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        you also have to remember that Margarito destroyed Martinez previously so was a worthy opponent to be fighting for Martinez vacated 154lb championship.

I disagree with this solely based on the fact that that fight was nearly 11 years ago and has no bearing in how worthy Margs was to be fighting for that title. I got no problem with the rest of your argument, but this just stuck out to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I disagree with this solely based on the fact that that fight was nearly 11 years ago and has no bearing in how worthy Margs was to be fighting for that title. I got no problem with the rest of your argument, but this just stuck out to me.
          Margarito is a 3 time world champion and his performance against Pacquiao proved he was more than worthy to be fighting for the vacant title

Comment

Margarito is a 3 time world champion and his performance against Pacquiao proved he was more than worthy to be fighting for the vacant title

I will respectfully disagree with you again my friend. He was crushed in his last meaningful fight at 147 and got shut out by Pac. The only reason either of them were given the opportunity to fight for the vacant title was because they were big names and it was a potential history making even if Pac won. Im of the belief that superstars should have to earn their right to fight for a title if they step up in weight. Some exception are understandable. But two guys who were not active in that division? Come on!

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I will respectfully disagree with you again my friend. He was crushed in his last meaningful fight at 147 and got shut out by Pac. The only reason either of them were given the opportunity to fight for the vacant title was because they were big names and it was a potential history making even if Pac won. Im of the belief that superstars should have to earn their right to fight for a title if they step up in weight. Some exception are understandable. But two guys who were not active in that division? Come on!
              who in your opinion should have been fighting for that vacant 154lb title who you feel are superior fighters to Pacquiao and Margarito ?

Comment

who in your opinion should have been fighting for that vacant 154lb title who you feel are superior fighters to Pacquiao and Margarito ?
                Superior has nothing to do with it, it's about earning the right to fight for a particular title. Neither Pac nor Margs did that. Whats the point of rating fighters if we're not going to abide by the system and reward the fighters who have fought within it? The simple truth is this was about familiarity and money. The WBC stood to make far more money in sanctioning fee's from two fighters who weren't even active in that division than it did from pitting Angulo, Martiroysyan or Alvarez against one another. 3 fighters who actually worked their was up the WBC 154lb food chain only to get screwed.

Comment

• Apparently, Pacquiao came out of his fight being forced to cancel an interview with TMZ. The decision was the result of Pacquiao being laid up in bed, doubled-over, from rib punishment sustained from the fight with Margarito.

Seems even Superman is starting to feel the toll of the huge size discrepancies he's taking on. Even in appearing to coast, he is feeling the heat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                    Apparently, Pacquiao came out of his fight being forced to cancel an interview with TMZ. The decision was the result of Pacquiao being laid up in bed, doubled-over, from rib punishment sustained from the fight with Margarito.

Seems even Superman is starting to feel the toll of the huge size discrepancies he's taking on. Even in appearing to coast, he is feeling the heat.
                    He may not have won any rounds, but Margarito got some wicked shots in. Many people are saying that Manny eased up in the last couple of rounds, but I suspect he just wanted to coast home without getting hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      He may not have won any rounds, but Margarito got some wicked shots in. Many people are saying that Manny eased up in the last couple of rounds, but I suspect he just wanted to coast home without getting hit.
                      everyone to their own choice but for me Pacquiao vs Margarito was "Fight of the Year"... i have watched the fight around 6 times or more and it really was a tremendous physical fight for both fighters and the total punch out-put was incredible, the fight had everything and is a worthy candidate for top honours.

Comment

Working...
                      X