No announcement yet.

Boxing Books?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heavy Bag View Post
    I've read both the Greb & Langford books, and reccomend them both.

Here's a few other I'd reccomend
    -Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson by Geoffrey Ward
    -Barney Ross (Jewish Encounters) by Douglas Century
    -Larry Holmes Against The Odds
    -Men Of Steel Middleweights
    Larry Holmes - Against the odds.... is a very good book which i read from start to finish in around 12hrs

some other great books i have read which i would recommend.

Dark Trade - Donald McRae
    A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20s
    And a Credit to His Race (Joe Louis), Gerald Astor
    Black Dynamite, Vol I, Nat Fleischer
    Black Dynamite, Vol II, Nat Fleischer
    Black Prince Peter, A.G. Hales
    Come Out Smokin', Phil Pepe
    Fighting Was My Business, Jimmy Wilde
    Fights for the Championship, Fred Henning
    Gene Tunney: The Enigma of the Ring, Nat Fleischer
    The Jew in American Sports, Harold Ribalow
    Terrible Terry: The Brooklyn Terror, Nat Fleischer
    Legendary Boxers of the Golden Age, Billy Edwards
    The Louis Legend, Nat Fleischer
    Mickey Walker: The Toy Bulldog and His Times, Walker & Reichler
    Physical Culture and Self Defense, Bob Fitzsimmons
    The Sweet Science, Trevor Wignall
    Shadow Box, George Plimpton
    Sonny Liston: The Champ Nobody Wanted, Doc Young
    Ring Record Book - any which is written by Nat Fleischer

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
      Have you read Four Kings? I very much enjoyed that one.
      Yeah that was one of my first boxing books because I am a massive Hagler fan.

Comment

In this Corner is a must
        men of Steel is very good
        a few that haven't been mentioned I would highly recommend are 2 by Jim McNeill "they couldve been contenders and that night in the garden and McIlvanney on Boxing by Hugh McIlvanney.

Comment

From Russia, With Gloves (Kostya Tszyu) & American Son (Oscar De La Hoya) are good & great reads, respectively.

It's been criticised for some factual short-comings, but The Devil & Sonny Liston, by Nick Tosches, is pretty absorbing. Even by Boxing standards, Liston's early life was bleak.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
            From Russia, With Gloves (Kostya Tszyu) & American Son (Oscar De La Hoya) are good & great reads, respectively.

It's been criticised for some factual short-comings, but The Devil & Sonny Liston, by Nick Tosches, is pretty absorbing. Even by Boxing standards, Liston's early life was bleak.
            I just picked up "American son" a couple of weeks ago for 1.00 dollar at a Dollar store next to my work. Was just browsing thru books and came across it. What a steal!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I just picked up "American son" a couple of weeks ago for 1.00 dollar at a Dollar store next to my work. Was just browsing thru books and came across it. What a steal!
              It's quite a good read. If you're not sympathetic toward De La Hoya on the whole (& maybe even if you are), you will be unimpressed with what appears to be unrealistic excuse-making & selfishness in parts of the book, but this is not beyond what most fighters are guilty of, it's just that he gets more criticism for it in general.

There are some very worthwhile reads within that book. The chapters on Chavez (from the perspective of a young De La Hoya) & the battles with Trinidad & Vargas are good reading. It was published between his fights with Mayweather & Forbes, at the back-end of his career, so he has something to say about Mayweather, as his final opponent to date, as well.

Comment

Another amazng read I forget to mention is ''Rock Of His Time'' Rocky Marciano story. Really amazing book and must have if your a Marciano fan.

Comment

The Mickey Walker autobio that Sonny listed is excellent. I enjoyed Floyd Patterson's "Victory Over Myself a lot, but I was very young when I read it. Some others I'd recommend would be Jack Johnson's autobio, "Boxing Babylon" by Nigel Collins, and Raging Bull (the book, which was better than the movie).

Comment

Two Books I've read recently that I enjoyed:

Sweet Thunder: The Life and Times of Sugar Ray Robinson - Wil Haygood

&

My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing - Angelo Dundee

Comment

What about Boxing: A Cultural History?

Comment

Working...
                      X