No announcement yet.

Great fighters who made it to the top through hard work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great fighters who made it to the top through hard work

Fighters who lacked the hand speed, boxing skills or the big punch but made it through hard work in the gym

Rocky Marciano except for the big punch.

Comment

Glen Johnson seems to be on everyones lips right now and he is a good example

Ricky hatton really put the work in at the gym (although he wasnt a terrible boxer)

EDIT:I missed the 'great' bit
      Last edited by The_Demon; 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I don't think you can become great on hard work alone. It may be nice to think that anyone can become a great all time boxer if they work hard enough. But I think you need talent and loads of talent. Also I think there is more to a boxing great then just speed and power.

Comment

Exactly, boxing is a thinking mans sport contrary to popular belief. I'm sure the Sugar Man(Robinson) once said it's all about angles and distances.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            Exactly, boxing is a thinking mans sport contrary to popular belief. I'm sure the Sugar Man(Robinson) once said it's all about angles and distances.
            I also read In an interview Robinson that he had the ability to out rhythm his opponents. I also think the greats are geniuses in terms of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              I also read In an interview Robinson that he had the ability to out rhythm his opponents. I also think the greats are geniuses in terms of boxing.
              That's why he did dancing once his career as a boxer was over. He had incredible footwork and a great sense of rythmn as you stated.

Comment

When he suggested he could out rhythm his opponents I took it as the ability to recognize their pattern and to realize when they realized his own pattern or rhythm. But this ability may have also helped him dance a little to lol. I read in a book that Ali awas a terrible dancer but I think he had great pattern recognition also.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
                  I don't think you can become great on hard work alone. It may be nice to think that anyone can become a great all time boxer if they work hard enough. But I think you need talent and loads of talent. Also I think there is more to a boxing great then just speed and power.
                  I feel the same way.

Comment

Working...
                  X