Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Lyle or Ray Mercer Who do you rate higher on your greatest Heavyweight's list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    I think the prime Lyle would have beaten the Holmes that beat Mercer. And Mercer was in his prime for that fight so there are no excuses for it.

I'd agree. Prime Lyle vs 1991/92 Holmes is a Lyle decision win for me. I dont normally play the A beats B, therefore also beats C thing, but I think Ron Lyle was an excellent heavyweight, certainly better to my mind than Ray Mercer.

Oh and I love the girl in your avatar! My compliments.....

Comment

Prime Lyle couldn't beat an old Ali, he doesn't beat an old Holmes either.

Furthermore prime Lyle fought the same way all through his prime. Mercer started off as a brawler and developed into a boxer. No way does '92 Holmes beat a '96 Mercer.

Comment

That's not expressly true. Lyle was fairly versatile --- though an excellent banger, he could box, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
          Prime Lyle couldn't beat an old Ali, he doesn't beat an old Holmes either.

Furthermore prime Lyle fought the same way all through his prime. Mercer started off as a brawler and developed into a boxer. No way does '92 Holmes beat a '96 Mercer.
          Mercer wasn't one of the sharpest knives in the drawer. I have difficulty seeing him being bright enough at any point in his career not to duplicate the bone-headed way he fought against Holmes.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            Mercer wasn't one of the sharpest knives in the drawer. I have difficulty seeing him being bright enough at any point in his career not to duplicate the bone-headed way he fought against Holmes.

Poet

With all due respect to Obame I have to agree with this. Mercer may have made adjustments in camp, but he never made them in a meaningful fight including Lewis.

Comment

Lewis had no answer for Mercer's jab. His jab wasn't half as good against Holmes. Mercer grew as a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                Lewis had no answer for Mercer's jab. His jab wasn't half as good against Holmes. Mercer grew as a boxer.
                Honestly, I never saw that. Lewis fought foolishly against Mercer, trying too hard to take him out early. He had to rally late to win the decision. I've always thought that fight woke Lewis up to become a smarter fighter.

Comment

Working...
                X