No announcement yet.

Dempsey on Marciano's Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dempsey on Marciano's Power

"I've scored my share of knockouts along the way, but more often than not my opponents got up after being knocked down and had to be knocked down repeatedly. The same is true of Joe Louis. But Marciano needs only one solid smash and it's all over.

That's why I say Rocky Marciano is the hardest-hitting heavyweight champion I have seen."

-Dempsey

this is from a book i have on Marciano

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
    "I've scored my share of knockouts along the way, but more often than not my opponents got up after being knocked down and had to be knocked down repeatedly. The same is true of Joe Louis. But Marciano needs only one solid smash and it's all over.

That's why I say Rocky Marciano is the hardest-hitting heavyweight champion I have seen."

-Dempsey

Marciano hit hard but there are a lot of other heavyweights that hit harder.

Comment

good old Suzie Q. Bert Sugar has a great video about it.

props to RalphyMarciano on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post

-Dempsey

His opinion should be noted, but I personally believe there were harder hitting heavyweights including Louis, Shavers and Foreman.

Comment

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...&postcount=112

Comment

True that they all indeed might of it harder per se, but shavers tried to do it with one big bomb, foreman threw more than shavers, but! Marciano threw bomb after bomb after bomb in such quan****** for 15 rounds carrying his power til the final bell. And if he hit you clean once or twice you can count on being wobbled and/or knocked down.

Louis was the best heavyweight puncher IMO.

I made this thread not to say that Marciano KO1 everyone or Marcianois the best or hardest puncher. I just wanted to share what another top 10 heavy said about marciano's power.

Although they indeed hit harder Foreman and Shavers had height and weight on marciano, but that's besides the point. Shoulda woulda coulda they did hit harder and I can accept that.

Comment

For 5'10-11 and 190 pounds marciano hit damn hard, but I agree foreman and shavers hit harder. I have it

1. Foreman
              2. shavers
              3. marciano

punch for punch

Comment

Remember that the quote was said around the time Marciano KO'd Walcott the second time. At that point Rocky in his most famous fights had KO'd Louis out of the ring, KO'd Layne with one punch, KO'd Kid Matthews with a left hook, brutally KO'd Walcott and then stopped him in one round during the rematch. His one punch power looked to be awesome at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  Remember that the quote was said around the time Marciano KO'd Walcott the second time. At that point Rocky in his most famous fights had KO'd Louis out of the ring, KO'd Layne with one punch, KO'd Kid Matthews with a left hook, brutally KO'd Walcott and then stopped him in one round during the rematch. His one punch power looked to be awesome at that time.
                  dosnt really sound any less awesome now....

and really when the point is one hit ko there isnt another fighter that i can think of in the history of boxing with such a ko to tko ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    dosnt really sound any less awesome now....

and really when the point is one hit ko there isnt another fighter that i can think of in the history of boxing with such a ko to tko ratio.
                    In his last 5 fights against Charles, LaStarza, Cockell and Moore he was more of an attrition swarmer though. Marciano and his trainer realized that they could not win fights by relying on one punch only, as he did against Walcott.

Comment

Working...
                    X