Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 Pound for Pound based on impact to the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Sorry if my words don't make sense I couldn't think how to phrase it?

1. Muhammad Ali
    2. Jack Dempsey
    3. Mike Tyson
    4. Sugar Ray Robinson
    5. Manny Pacquiao

Not to sure on this aspect so if my list looks ******ed don't blame me...
    Manny Pacquiao? What contribution has he made at all? He's not world famous in the slightest, and has had no greater impact on his own country than other greats like Roberto Duran, Alexis Arguello, Eder Jofre, Fighting Harada....and about a million other fighters.

Why do people feel the need to throw in his name in every single list nowadays for everything to do with boxing?

GOAT? Manny Pacquiao
    Greatest Impact on boxing? Manny Pacquiao
    Most skilled ever? Manny Pacquiao
    Nicest Guy? Manny Pacquiao
    Most obsessed with money and advantages in negotiation? Manny Pacquiao
    Best singer? Manny Pacquiao
    Hardest puncher? Manny Pacquiao
    Greatest resume ever? Manny Pacquiao

Can't we just stop? Compared to other fighters who have genuinely had a big impact on our sport and on a global or large national scale, Pacquiao hasn't done a damn thing.

Comment

!/. Jack Dempsey - by a country mile

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Manny Pacquiao? What contribution has he made at all? He's not world famous in the slightest, and has had no greater impact on his own country than other greats like Roberto Duran, Alexis Arguello, Eder Jofre, Fighting Harada....and about a million other fighters.

Why do people feel the need to throw in his name in every single list nowadays for everything to do with boxing?

GOAT? Manny Pacquiao
        Greatest Impact on boxing? Manny Pacquiao
        Most skilled ever? Manny Pacquiao
        Nicest Guy? Manny Pacquiao
        Most obsessed with money and advantages in negotiation? Manny Pacquiao
        Best singer? Manny Pacquiao
        Hardest puncher? Manny Pacquiao
        Greatest resume ever? Manny Pacquiao

Can't we just stop? Compared to other fighters who have genuinely had a big impact on our sport and on a global or large national scale, Pacquiao hasn't done a damn thing.
        I don't even like Pacquiao and as my first post says I'm not to sure about this kind of thing.
        GOAT = SRR
        Greatest Impact = I clearly had Ali but, after what's been said would have JJ.
        Most Skilled = Willie Pep
        Nicest Guy = Alexis Agruello
        Best Singer = Joe Frazier
        Hardest Puncher based on raw power = Earnie Shavers
        Greatest Resume = Ali, Robinson, Langford or Greb.
        P.S He does not even make my top 50 p4p as it stands...

Comment

From the perspective of impact on the sport he heavies rule supreme.

My top 5:

1: Ali - Became the most famous person on earth and gave boxing it's global appeal and megapurses.

2: Sullivan - Became the first boxing champion with worldwide recognition and was the standard bearer in 'legitimizing' boxing. The first self proclaimed 'baddest man on the planet'.

3: Louis - Broke the race barrier and managed to become a hero of his nation regardless of race via his humbleness and powerpunching.

4: Tyson - Singlehandedly restored boxing as an interesting spectacle after a long drought in the heavies and gained global fame even before he became champion by virtue of a string brutal and early KO's.

5: De La Hoya - Maybe a reach, but along with his mainstream appeal as a boxer he might be end up being the first former superstar to make a hugely succesful businesscareer as a promotor and thereby enhancing his part of being an outstanding rolemodel for young fighters.

Comment

What did Pacquiao ever do for the sport??????

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              From the perspective of impact on the sport he heavies rule supreme.

My top 5:

1: Ali - Became the most famous person on earth and gave boxing it's global appeal and megapurses.

2: Sullivan - Became the first boxing champion with worldwide recognition and was the standard bearer in 'legitimizing' boxing. The first self proclaimed 'baddest man on the planet'.

3: Louis - Broke the race barrier and managed to become a hero of his nation regardless of race via his humbleness and powerpunching.

4: Tyson - Singlehandedly restored boxing as an interesting spectacle after a long drought in the heavies and gained global fame even before he became champion by virtue of a string brutal and early KO's.

5: De La Hoya - Maybe a reach, but along with his mainstream appeal as a boxer he might be end up being the first former superstar to make a hugely succesful businesscareer as a promotor and thereby enhancing his part of being an outstanding rolemodel for young fighters.
              Great list and explanations, finally someone mentions Louis, I'd probably replace DLH with Jack Johnson. Bill Richmond might also be one to consider because he was very famous at the time aparently. If you want to inturpret this in a different way you could have boxers who actually changed the way people box e.g. Johnson, Moore, Pep, Charles, Walcott, Tunney, B.Leonard, Gans etc.

Comment

There is a difference between impact as influencing the sport as a cultural and sociological phenomenon and than there is the techinical impact as far as advancing the sweet science. Ali rates very high in both criteria, i think Dempsey rates highest as influencing the sport by making it mainstream in the 1920's where he was even more popular than babe ruth. Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, and yes Tyson are more the cultural than scientific inluence, although they did contribute their as well.

Daniel Mendoza for what he did in the defensive advancement of the sport in the bare knuckle days, Corbett, and Tunney deserve recognition for the techinical impact. In modern days, a guy like Whitaker also influenced guys technically as even mayweather would admit. I think even Archie Moore get some credit with the techinical side, although he is not the only one who used the cross arms or crab like defense, he did help popularize it. Bob Fitzsimmons certainly also gets respect for techinically advance the offensive with his punching ability that made him the first three weight class champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  I don't even like Pacquiao and as my first post says I'm not to sure about this kind of thing.
                  I am not sure about top 5? But you better believe that Pac has had a major impact in the sport, he is helped take boxing to new audiences in asia. Many people didn't know anything about guys like Fighting Harada or even Khaosai Galaxy until studying asian boxing history due to the influence and impact of Pac. I went to the phillippines on vacation, and coudlnt believe that his fight with Cotto was being aired on the mall of asia theatre, name the last time a fight in the US or UK has been screened in a local mall? The phils is a country of like 90 million, so Pac has had a big impact in the last decade.
                  Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

He fought before my lifetime, but I've talked to enough people from that era who convinced me that Joe Louis has to be on this list.

Comment

Working...
                    X