Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 Pound for Pound based on impact to the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Pound for Pound based on impact to the sport?

Sorry if my words don't make sense I couldn't think how to phrase it?

1. Muhammad Ali
    2. Jack Dempsey
    3. Mike Tyson
    4. Sugar Ray Robinson
    5. Manny Pacquiao

Not to sure on this aspect so if my list looks ******ed don't blame me...

Jack Johnson? John L Sullivan?

Comment

Imo Jack Johnson has to be #1 here with John L Sullivan probably coming 2nd.

Not all sure on who I would have after that though, probably

3. Muhammad Ali
      4. Jack Dempsey
      5. Ray Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        Jack Johnson? John L Sullivan?
        Oh noes Jack Johnson, that's unreal I forgot about him as I'm reading "Unforgivable Blackness" this very minute.

Don't know a great deal about Sullivan so if anyone can help me out with an article that would be great.
        Last edited by Barn; 10-26-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

1. John L. Sullivan
          2. Jack Johnson
          3. Duk-Soo Kim
          4. Muhammad Ali
          5. Oscar De La Hoya, mainly because he's been a successful fighter and a successful promoter.

Others would be Joe Louis, Floyd Patterson (also ran the NYSAC after retiring), Sugar Ray Robinson, and Tommy Burns (for giving a black man a chance).
          Last edited by SBleeder; 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM.

Comment

sugar ray leonard,and oscar de la hoya have done more for the popularity of the sport than anybody.they definitely need to be on any list

Comment

Well, most wordwide famous at any point would be Ali or Tyson. TV being partly responsible over fighters of other eras.

Comment

replace dempsey with SRL

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Well, most wordwide famous at any point would be Ali or Tyson. TV being partly responsible over fighters of other eras.
                  I'd say Dempsey was far more famous than Tyson ever was. Boxing was already becoming a fringe sport by the 80s. I haven't seen a newspaper with a fight result posted at the top of page one in a long time, including Tyson fights. But back in the 20s, Dempsey was as big as Babe Ruth.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    I'd say Dempsey was far more famous than Tyson ever was. Boxing was already becoming a fringe sport by the 80s. I haven't seen a newspaper with a fight result posted at the top of page one in a long time, including Tyson fights. But back in the 20s, Dempsey was as big as Babe Ruth.

Problem is, Tyson had true worldwide fame. He could walk down any street in the world and be recognised. TV, satelite, greater print circularisation being the key....far more so also to third world/developing countries than in the 20s.

Dempsey would have been too, were he fighting in the 70s and 80s. His fame was fantastic in the western world, but he was restricted by his time.

As for boxing being a fringe sport in the 80s! I remember it being huge, Tyson and Ray Leonard were megastars.....bigger than Maradonna! Up there with the cream of the A list movie stars and recording artists.

Comment

Working...
                    X