No announcement yet.

Top 10 Best Boxing Fights in History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    i watched Gypsies bare-knuckle fighting at Appleby fair in Cumbria a few years ago and believe me its "a joke" irish tinkers with no boxing ability or training whatsoever squaring off against each other for £50 or more, these guys have never been in a gymnasium in their lives or had any teaching in the art of fist-fighting. their opponents are always other gypsy families who again have had zero training and the fitness level of these guys is terrible..i can only think that a guy named "King of the Gypsies" even if 50 times better than the clowns i seen could only be a joker... i can remember a guy from Britain called Joe Savage British bare-knuckle fist-fighting champion and All-round Fighting man who traveled over to the USA with a record of 53-0(53) and took part in a Heavyweight Boxing tournement were he fought Smokin`Bert Cooper with Cooper leaving him lying face-down on the canvas within 30 seconds of the opening round... i have never bought into the crap about gypsies, bouncers or others being great boxers it's false!
    Never watched it myself just heard stories, don't think I'll be watching it either if it's really like that.

Just go to the pub whenever a big football game is on and I can see fat guy's fight each other for free.

Comment

Odd that they put Hagler-Autefermo 1. Not that it was a bad fight, but one of the best ever? surprising.

Not the worst list, although fights like Ali-Frazier and Leonard-Duran should definitely have made it onto the list.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Never watched it myself just heard stories, don't think I'll be watching it either if it's really like that.

Just go to the pub whenever a big football game is on and I can see fat guy's fight each other for free.
        lol quite true NChristo

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          i watched Gypsies bare-knuckle fighting at Appleby fair in Cumbria a few years ago and believe me its "a joke" irish tinkers with no boxing ability or training whatsoever squaring off against each other for £50 or more, these guys have never been in a gymnasium in their lives or had any teaching in the art of fist-fighting. their opponents are always other gypsy families who again have had zero training and the fitness level of these guys is terrible..i can only think that a guy named "King of the Gypsies" even if 50 times better than the clowns i seen could only be a joker... i can remember a guy from Britain called Joe Savage British bare-knuckle fist-fighting champion and All-round Fighting man who traveled over to the USA with a record of 53-0(53) and took part in a Heavyweight Boxing tournement were he fought Smokin`Bert Cooper with Cooper leaving him lying face-down on the canvas within 30 seconds of the opening round... i have never bought into the crap about gypsies, bouncers or others being great boxers it's false!
          Sen a few of these unlicensed fights and they are not much more than a tear up in a pub. Most of them will say Cliffie Fields was the best unlicensed fighter and if you look at his pro record it is not great. I'd put money on him beating Aird or Dunn in a street fight but in the ring, not a chance. The reason Fields was effective as an unlicensed fighter was he had some pro experience

Comment

Originally posted by Rolaz View Post
            So far I haven't read any REAL CRITERIA in determining the so called
            Best Boxing Fights in History.
            because it doesn't really exist as you ironically suggest

my personal criterias :

- level of skills displayed
            - back and forth action
            - drama
            - competitive fight for the most part
            - great ending (not necessarily a KO, could be a SD or draw)

Toney vs McCallum I was awesome

I cannot possibly consider a one-sided fight to be one of the best ever, or a fight that is too techincal, got to see some punches flying.

Comment

A top 10 list is extremely difficult to compile and it's impossible to reach some kind of consensus.

Still 10 ultra super duper fights here that could be on any list:

Louis-Conn I
              Saad Muhammad-Lopez II
              Ali-Frazier I
              Ali-Frazier III
              Nelson-Wolgast
              Corrales-Castillo
              Hagler-Hearns
              Chavez-Taylor
              Schmeling-Louis I
              Duran-Leonard I

Comment

Honestly, this seems like a primer for people who rarely watch boxing and need to brush up on their history. Foreman-Ali and Tyson-Douglas don't belong on historically great fights lists, they were just very significant because of the crazy upsets they produced.

Comment

omg how could I forget Frazier-Quarry ???

Comment

Working...
                  X