Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones vs Montell Griffin II: What did Griffin do wrong

I would say:
    1 Leaving Eddie Futch:
    This would of been the biggest fight of his career, I cant see how leaving the trainer who got you to the top could be seen as a good idea
    2 Defense:
    Griffin either carried his right hand low, or he would drop it when Jones threw a left hook
    3 Strategy:
    We never got to see what Griffins gameplan was for this fight, but he must of known that he couldnt use the plan form the last fight.

Thoughts please

What happened is that Roy came in pissed, motivated, and wanting to knock Griffin out. Griffin wasn't good enough to do a damn thing about it.

Comment

what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

he signed the contract to fight

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
          he signed the contract to fight
          lmao

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            What happened is that Roy came in pissed, motivated, and wanting to knock Griffin out. Griffin wasn't good enough to do a damn thing about it.
            Good point

Comment

I don't think he necessarily did anything wrong, but he should have realized that Jones would likely begin the fight more aggressively than the first time when Jones was very tentative.

Griffin used his normal counter-punching style, but you may notice that his counter punches had no effect on Jones. In preparation for the early onslaught Griffin should have been more defensive-minded, with his only objective being survival for the first few rounds.

Even then I doubt anything would have worked for Griffin, who wasn't a big puncher, didn't have a solid chin or exceptional handspeed, not to mention that he was very short for a light heavyweight at 5'7. Basically he was just a very, very good boxer who could frustrate anyone in a boxing match. But Jones wasn't about to box this time, he was looking to overwhelm Griffin with speed, power and aggression.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                I don't think he necessarily did anything wrong, but he should have realized that Jones would likely begin the fight more aggressively than the first time when Jones was very tentative.

Griffin used his normal counter-punching style, but you may notice that his counter punches had no effect on Jones. In preparation for the early onslaught Griffin should have been more defensive-minded, with his only objective being survival for the first few rounds.

Even then I doubt anything would have worked for Griffin, who wasn't a big puncher, didn't have a solid chin or exceptional handspeed, not to mention that he was very short for a light heavyweight at 5'7. Basically he was just a very, very good boxer who could frustrate anyone in a boxing match. But Jones wasn't about to box this time, he was looking to overwhelm Griffin with speed, power and aggression.
                Good points. I wonder if Griffin though he could fight Jones the same way he did the first time. During the post fight talks Griffin would keep on mentioning that he wasnt allowed sufficient time to warm up. Im not really sure what to make of that, I doubt if it would of made the slightest difference

Comment

As said, he signed the contract.

Comment

Working...
                  X