No announcement yet.

Fights which summed up a boxer and showed his greatness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fights which summed up a boxer and showed his greatness

I just watched Virgil Hill's dominating performece against Valery Brudov and was very impressed. I have his career set on DVD so I had seen alot of his fights including the ones against Fabrice Tiozzo, Frank Tate, Drake Thadzi, Jean Marc Mormeck and Henry Maske but I thought his performence against Brudov basically summed him up as a fighter. Excellent timing, speed, defence and a beautiful jab. Brudov wasnt the greatest fighter in the world but he was 30-0 with 23 knockouts and to dominate a fighter in the prime of his career at 42 years old like that, I thought it was a great performence and one that summed up his career.

I want to know about other fights like this so that I can watch them. I'm talking about fights when in 10-20 years time when the fighter is retired you would be able to watch them and see the greatness of the fighter just from that one performence. Please tell me some of the fights you know like this, Especially those of your favorite fighter or from fighters who maybe arent your favorite but the fight stands out for you.

I can think of a few others....

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Shane Mosley
    Ricardo Lopez vs Rosendo Alvarez II
    Roy Jones Jr vs James Toney
    Bernard Hopkins vs Kelly Pavlik

Feel free to tell me some more...

Hearns vs Pipino Cuevas
    Sugar Ray Leonard vs Wilfred Benitez
    Hagler vs Hearns
    Foreman vs Fraizer

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
      Hearns vs Pipino Cuevas
      Sugar Ray Leonard vs Wilfred Benitez
      Hagler vs Hearns
      Foreman vs Fraizer

frazier was a piece of cake for foreman,and cuevas had no business being in the same ring has hearns,

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
        frazier was a piece of cake for foreman,and cuevas had no business being in the same ring has hearns,
        That's what sums up Foremans greatness beating an amazing Joe Fraizer like that and, Pipino Cuevas was a very good fighter that Hearns utterly destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
          That's what sums up Foremans greatness beating an amazing Joe Fraizer like that and, Pipino Cuevas was a very good fighter that Hearns utterly destroyed.
          i think you have it all wrong,joe was over matched he had zero chance of winning,george could have tied one hand behind his back and still knock him int tomorrow,cuevas was a boxer living on a rumor that he had a good punch,well that rumor was put to rest,he could not even land one punch above hearns waistline,and when he got hit boy he got walloped,

Comment

i think you have it all wrong,joe was over matched he had zero chance of winning,george could have tied one hand behind his back and still knock him int tomorrow,cuevas was a boxer living on a rumor that he had a good punch,well that rumor was put to rest,he could not even land one punch above hearns waistline,and when he got hit boy he got walloped,
            Cuevas was great, you think all those KOs he handed out were just "rumours" ?, he had decent power but was just outclassed by Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              Cuevas was great, you think all those KOs he handed out were just "rumours" ?, he had decent power but was just outclassed by Hearns.
              cuevas did not kayo any notable boxer,cuevas and duran are both in the same league,they are all hyped before a fight that they are going to do this and they are going to do that,well they did do this and that, both got hammered with the right hand of hearns and hit the canvas hard,the two of them were shell shocked,

Comment

cuevas had like 11-13 defenses in a time when there were less divisions, only two titles in each one and nothing but killers at every weight. especially at and around 147.

i think cuevas went close to ten years since his last loss when hearns beat him, and im even less sure about this but i do believe hearns was the first man to ever knock him out in ALOT of fights at the highest level.

cuevas was a very good fighter and hearns ripped him apart, very impressive performance.

Comment

Toney vs Michael Nunn

Comment

It's a shame about that rib

Comment

Working...
                    X