No announcement yet.

Best Comeback In History.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foremanfan
    What impresses me most about George is his will to win that he demonstrated in his comeback. In the Holyfield fight he took a lot of clean shots the 3,7 and 9 rounds specifically but he kept on coming and kept on trying. At that point in time I considered Holyfield to be at his heavyweight peak yet the 42 year old guy was able to rumble for the full 12. That's something that the younger Tyson was unable to do against the Holyfield that had looked awful against Moorer and pretty bad before being ko'd by Bowe. As far as I'm concerned Holy was on the slide by the time he fought Tyson yet he still had more than enough to force a stoppage. Foreman all though I thought earned the points against Stewart via his second round knockdowns took such a lot of clean punches and was horribly marked up and swollen yet rallied so well in the eighth round. His face was dented but his will to win was still as strong as ever. For those people that have seen the HBO showing of the Moorer bout and not the BBC showing you can really hear Moorer's shots thudding into George and Moorer was a big puncher for sure but George inspite of his physical limitations in terms of speed and reactions continued plodding forwards round after round just looking for that straight right that would put Moorer down. At no point does he look like he want's to stop and at no point does he look like he justs wants to survive the twelve rounds. This is something of a fantasy but imagine how the 42 year old Foreman would have dealt with the 40 year old Holyfield or the 38 year old Tyson.

A 42 year old foreman would destroy both a 40 year old holy and a 38 year old Tyson. Hell i even thought Foreman could have beaten Tyson when foreman came back in his second carreer, and was very bummed out that Tyson and Foreman never fought. Foreman had a rough time with fighters who he had to run after, Tyson would be running to him so it would have been easier. I pictured Tyson running right into one of Foremans crushing uppercuts. Foreman was calling out Tyson back in 91 or 92, I truly believe Foreman would have beat him back then if they fought.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny swift
      A 42 year old foreman would destroy both a 40 year old holy and a 38 year old Tyson. Hell i even thought Foreman could have beaten Tyson when foreman came back in his second carreer, and was very bummed out that Tyson and Foreman never fought. Foreman had a rough time with fighters who he had to run after, Tyson would be running to him so it would have been easier. I pictured Tyson running right into one of Foremans crushing uppercuts. Foreman was calling out Tyson back in 91 or 92, I truly believe Foreman would have beat him back then if they fought.
      I pretty much agree with that I'm forever arguing on ************* who avoided who because it seemed to me that Foreman worked pretty hard to get Tyson to fight him. At the end of a Foreman fight you could be sure to hear him talking up a Tyson fight but I never once heard Mike mention George until this year when he said I couldn't fight george Foreman I love the guy. I emailed Foreman to see if he would clear the matter up and assuming that it was him that replied as he says he will personally on his website he said that he had tried very hard to make the fight happen when Tyson was champion.

Comment

I pretty much agree with that I'm forever arguing on ************* who avoided who because it seemed to me that Foreman worked pretty hard to get Tyson to fight him. At the end of a Foreman fight you could be sure to hear him talking up a Tyson fight but I never once heard Mike mention George until this year when he said I couldn't fight george Foreman I love the guy. I emailed Foreman to see if he would clear the matter up and assuming that it was him that replied as he says he will personally on his website he said that he had tried very hard to make the fight happen when Tyson was champion.

Since day one of his second career back in '88 Foreman was calling out Tyson. After Foreman would finish beating on an opponent in the ring- right into the cameras he would be saying "I want Mike Tyson" it was funny as hell. I watched his second career including the fights on USA network and Espn fight night. I remember one fight against a guy by the name of Bob Jamison I beleive, when Foreman landed his patented uppercut on this guy, this guy just stalled in his tracks staring off into oblivion for like 5 seconds it was the weirdest thing, he's lucky forman didnt hit him again. One of those uppercuts would have done the same to Tyson and Foreman would have hit HIM again like he did Cooney. Tyson says now that he couldnt fight foreman cause he loved him too much, but I truly believe that tyson was scared of Foreman. Tyson is a boxing historian and he understood that the 70's heavyweights were a different breed and they do not play.

Comment

Since day one of his second career back in '88 Foreman was calling out Tyson. After Foreman would finish beating on an opponent in the ring- right into the cameras he would be saying "I want Mike Tyson" it was funny as hell. I watched his second career including the fights on USA network and Espn fight night. I remember one fight against a guy by the name of Bob Jamison I beleive, when Foreman landed his patented uppercut on this guy, this guy just stalled in his tracks staring off into oblivion for like 5 seconds it was the weirdest thing, he's lucky forman didnt hit him again. One of those uppercuts would have done the same to Tyson and Foreman would have hit HIM again like he did Cooney. Tyson says now that he couldnt fight foreman cause he loved him too much, but I truly believe that tyson was scared of Foreman. Tyson is a boxing historian and he understood that the 70's heavyweights were a different breed and they do not play.
          I think the guy your thinking of is Mike Jameson. I know Foreman belts with the uppercut and Jamesons mouth piece comes flying out. I quite liked the way George dropped Coetzer for the first time. It's so casual yet devastating.

Comment

I think the guy your thinking of is Mike Jameson. I know Foreman belts with the uppercut and Jamesons mouth piece comes flying out. I quite liked the way George dropped Coetzer for the first time. It's so casual yet devastating.

Yeah thats the one, Mike Jameson...LOL. Foreman uppercut him then his mouthpiece went flying and Jamison was stalled in his tracks somewhere in Never Never Land. The funny thing is Foreman would just hit these guys and it would look casual like he wasnt putting his full force into it. But in slow motion you can see the pure power he had in those hands by the way his punches distorted their face. That's why Foreman has the highest KO ratio in Heavyweight History. His punching power is a freak of nature. Michael Moorer had to get stitches on the inside of his mouth to repair the damage after taking that Foreman shot. In slow motion you can see the pure velocity of that Foreman punch on Moorers chin. There was no way in hell he was getting up.

Comment

Yeah thats the one, Mike Jameson...LOL. Foreman uppercut him then his mouthpiece went flying and Jamison was stalled in his tracks somewhere in Never Never Land. The funny thing is Foreman would just hit these guys and it would look casual like he wasnt putting his full force into it. But in slow motion you can see the pure power he had in those hands by the way his punches distorted their face. That's why Foreman has the highest KO ratio in Heavyweight History. His punching power is a freak of nature. Michael Moorer had to get stitches on the inside of his mouth to repair the damage after taking that Foreman shot. In slow motion you can see the pure velocity of that Foreman punch on Moorers chin. There was no way in hell he was getting up.
              Foreman said before the fight in reference to the fact that Moorer has been down but keeps getting up to win that he wont get up when I hit him on the chops. Before round ten starts Angelo says to George ' Your behind baby, you gotta put this guy down ' George looks back and nods and just says ' Alright Alright ' you can see instantly that George is putting more into the shots and is picking up the pace. Personally I don't see the ko as lucky as George had been looking fior that straight right all night and had been getting it there at times without to much on it. I agree to some extent that he tricked Moorer in as much as Moorer felt as though he had tasted all of George's power. Fact is if anyman get's all of George's power connect on their chin it's curtains.

Comment

Foreman said before the fight in reference to the fact that Moorer has been down but keeps getting up to win that he wont get up when I hit him on the chops. Before round ten starts Angelo says to George ' Your behind baby, you gotta put this guy down ' George looks back and nods and just says ' Alright Alright ' you can see instantly that George is putting more into the shots and is picking up the pace. Personally I don't see the ko as lucky as George had been looking fior that straight right all night and had been getting it there at times without to much on it. I agree to some extent that he tricked Moorer in as much as Moorer felt as though he had tasted all of George's power. Fact is if anyman get's all of George's power connect on their chin it's curtains.

Oh yeah, I didnt see that win as a lucky punch. Before that fight Lampley said about Moorer to Foreman " this guy was moving on Holyfield all night, what makes you think youre gonna catch him". Foreman responded that later in the fight Moorer would no longer be moving and thats when he would catch him. Big George knew what he was doing, he was setting up Moorer for the big bomb and knew sooner or later he would catch him with it.

Comment

Oh yeah, I didnt see that win as a lucky punch. Before that fight Lampley said about Moorer to Foreman " this guy was moving on Holyfield all night, what makes you think youre gonna catch him". Foreman responded that later in the fight Moorer would no longer be moving and thats when he would catch him. Big George knew what he was doing, he was setting up Moorer for the big bomb and knew sooner or later he would catch him with it.
                  That's very true. Thing is if you listen to Foreman you know that in his second time around he viewed fighting as something like chopping down a big oak you dont have to go wild with the axe in the first nine minutes ( as he used to in his first career )just keep chopping at a easy pace and it will fall.

Comment

That's very true. Thing is if you listen to Foreman you know that in his second time around he viewed fighting as something like chopping down a big oak you dont have to go wild with the axe in the first nine minutes ( as he used to in his first career )just keep chopping at a easy pace and it will fall.

yes, the second time around he was a more patient cerebral fighter. both his carreers were great. i actually think the loss to ali was good for him, because it set him on the right path and helped make him the man he is today. the young foreman was a brooding angry young man almost like tyson but not deranged like tyson but definitely just as surly.

Comment

Watch the Holyf v. Bowe fight, that was a ripper.

Comment

Working...
                      X